The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 13, 2011, 02:23 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The load that I used for hunting was a 230 patched ball over 90 grains of ffg powder.
That's the same load I ran in my .54 caliber. ...But I changed it, a few years down the road. I dropped to 76 grains, to give slightly better accuracy over longer ranges (though, I had to compensate for the rainbow trajectory).

The "lowly" round ball gets a lot of bad press, but it all seems to come from people that have never seen the terminal performance.
Old July 13, 2011, 10:22 PM   #27
grubbylabs

Well thank you for your replies, they were helpful.

Your replies make a lot of sense.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old December 13, 2011, 07:05 PM   #28
minnfinn

Use the right bullet for the intended purpose

Reloader28 - I'm puzzled by your complaint about the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet falling apart when shooting Elk. If you read their intended game for such a bullet, none are thick hided, heavy boned animals. (Pronghorns, deer) are the biggest game they recommend it for. I would compare SST bullets to other bullets designed for thin skinned game (e.g. deer, antelope)

Nosler Partition and Accubond are bullets designed for such heavy hided, big boned animals like Elk. I've shot a number of Elk with Accubonds and none have gone more than 30 yds. before staying down for the count. Very accurate bullets. Shot several Elk out to 300+ yds.
I agree with user ".300 Weatherby Mag". Use the right tool (bullet) for the correct application. In this case, quality bonded, partition or solid copper for Elk seems like better choices than SST or other similar thin skin game bullets.