The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old November 30, 2011, 05:55 PM   #1
steve1147

To Moderators: How does TFL make money?

Just as the title, I'm always curious how some websites pay their bills, I've never been exposed to an ad, etc. here, and as far as I know, nobody pays to post! So why do they do it?
Thanks! Steve W.
Old November 30, 2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Simply put, TFL does not make money.

All costs associated with TFL are born by founder and owner Rich Lucibella through his S.W.A.T Magazine enterprise.

It is truly a labor of love for Rich that he gives all of us free access, with no pop-up ads and virtually no advertising, to the best firearms site on the internet.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 30, 2011, 07:27 PM   #3
claymore1500

Quote:
It is truly a labor of love for Rich that he gives all of us free access, with no pop-up ads and virtually no advertising, to the best firearms site on the internet.
I for one believe that someone should start a thread in which members could express thier gratitude to Rich for doing such a great job, and also to the "Mods" for keepin' it real.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

claymore1500, please understand that I can not speak for anyone but myself.

I spend a lot of time reading court briefs (on all the 2A litigation that is going on) and doing my best to understand the issues and the probable results. Then I report them here. I also spend time logging on to PACER and downloading these briefs and just refreshing dockets. That cost $$$ that I have never asked anyone to reimburse me for.

So why do I do it?

For the love of my rights as an American. To be able to in some small way to pay back the generosity of our benefactor, of what Rich has put together here, on this website. To help out in the overall scheme of protecting and enhancing our 2A rights along with the rest or our rights.

Yet, modesty would prevent me from allowing such a thread, as you suggest, simply because it's not a proper topic for our forum. The occasional post in some of the threads are noted (indeed! they are welcomed). The occasional PM's I receive (and I know the other mods get them also) are also welcomed.

These tell me we are doing it right. That's all that really matters, as it's not about us (or even Rich), it's about TFL and keeping it relevant in a changing world.

So... Before anyone else chimes in (and I get ), question asked and answered and thread closed.
Old November 30, 2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm taking Al's indulgence to throw this in.

Al is absolutely correct. Some of the mods, over the years, have absorbed costs associated with TFL.

I apologize for not mentioning that; I was thinking primarily infrastructure and bandwidth costs.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread