The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 19, 2011, 07:48 PM   #1
mr kablammo

Colt Trooper trigger hangs up.

Got a Trooper with a trigger that sticks back in the fired position. The side plate can be taken off and the part # 100 (trigger rebound lever?) moved up until a click is produced, perhaps moving a piece deeper in the frame. Whichever piece moves out of alignment does so with enough force to push the sideplate out of the flush with the topstrap. When part # 100 is reset the guncan be dry fired infinitum. After about 20 shots the recoil again knocks a part out of position and the trigger sticks back. Easy to fix? Buy a new part or send to Colt?
Old November 20, 2011, 03:07 PM   #2
603Country

I have a Colt Diamondback in 22LR and the trigger would hang up every now and then. I tried my best to figure out the problem and maybe fix it, but finally gave up and took it to a gunsmith. It's fixed now.

And I used to have a 6 inch barrelled Trooper MkV in 357 mag. It was a great pistol. I sold it and got a Python, but I shot better with the Trooper.
Old November 20, 2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Colt is the go-to source for repairs.
They have all the necessary parts and the skilled gunsmiths who actually understand the complex Colt action.
Few local gunsmiths today have any idea how it works and less on how to effect repairs.

Colt will examine the gun and send you an invoice listing the needed repairs and the cost.
While they have it they'll give it a total cleaning and inspection.
Old November 20, 2011, 07:52 PM   #4
mr kablammo

DF, it seems hand and the hand~trigger pin are walking left in the direction of the sideplate. This allows part 100 to fall left of the proper alignment. The side plate has slightly different color and texture than the frame. I am wondering if a slighly longer pin could be used to keep it from walking. .
It is almost certain that I will send it Colt but am going to think about the geometry a bit more.
Old November 21, 2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

Does the side plate have the same serial number as the frame?

Is the side plate bent?

Trying to trouble shoot these things without seeing the gun is almost imposable.
I doubt playing with longer pins is either going to help or be a correct fix.
Best let Colt repair it instead of possibly doing further damage trying to fix the wrong thing.
Old November 21, 2011, 08:51 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

"The side plate has slightly different color and texture than the frame."

I suspect the sideplate was either replaced, or was bent at one time and someone tried to straighten it out, then reblued it. Either way, I agree that Colt is the best place for repairs. If you do send it to Colt, ask them to also polish and reblue; the work will cost less than a gunsmith will charge and the gun will look better.

Jim
Old November 21, 2011, 11:48 PM   #7
mr kablammo

Thank you for the replies. The side~plate, frame, and yoke/crane have the same 3xxxx number. The frame has a G (my Trooper is a Mason!?). And a cross~hatch under the SN. Running a finger across the SP there is a slight lift ar the pony. But the bottom feels to be perfectly straight. I think is just a bit of extra material at the pony rather than a bend. The hand channel on the interior has contact polishing and that seems to consistent with whatever is torquing to the left.

The readily observable possible indicators of problems...
The top of the hand, at rest, is about 1/16 inch below ratchet.

The cylinder has ring turn at bolt, slight. And the SP under the cylinder is not flush and has rubbed the cylinder. There is clearance dry firing but maybe in recoil the SP can shift.