The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 5, 2011, 04:44 PM   #1
publius

ramrod replacement?

Knight MK-85. Over the years I have marked my ramrod by scratching it at the desired depth for my current load. This has resulted in several marks and I have trouble knowing which one to use. Is there a way to repaint it or does it have to be anodized? Do I have to geta new one and where? thanks.
Old September 5, 2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Hawg

A sharpie is better than scratching it.
Old September 5, 2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Pahoo

More ways than one to skin this cat.

I do a bit of work with building and refurbishing older wooden ramrods. On the older ones, that were even marked to show the load, they were made with a scratch from a knife. On the metal ones, a sharpie is fine if you can see it. For range work, I have two very good rods made by TC and Traditions. These and some field rods, I mark with tape wire markers, that are numbered. The tape sticks fairly well for a time. I have noticed some older wooden rods that have been marked with the Sharpie. On your in-line, you could cover up the old marks with Aluma-Black from Birchwood casey or equal. You could also remark with a white paint stick. On replacement rods and components, I'd look at Dixie Gun Works but there are others as well.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 6, 2011, 12:03 AM   #4
arcticap

RMC Sports Outlet lists aluminum ramrods for many Knight rifles. They don't specifically list the MK-85 but they seem to simply be listed by length. They also offer a long one to be self-cut to length, they offer their plastic Rugged Rod for Knights with 24 inch barrels, or the length of your MK-85 ramrod may match the length of one the other Knight models that they list by length.
Check out the measurements for yours, then go to their catalog site and click on Ramrods & Accessories in the left hand column to if anything that they offer matches up.

http://www.rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

Also, October Country makes custom undergun ramrods made to fit the spec.'s of the original but from brass and they also offer Delrin in several diameters. They have a good reputation and are reasonably priced:

http://www.octobercountry.com/categories/Ramrods/

Brass:

http://www.octobercountry.com/produc...47%7D4%22.html
Old September 6, 2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Pahoo

I just might have one.

publius
As Acticap has suggested, measure your ramrod as I think that I might have one for the MK-85 and it's an OEM. If I do, I'll sell it to you and the price will be right and it's brand new. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 6, 2011, 07:59 PM   #6
publius

Thank you for the offer Pahoo. I will check as soon as possible. I hope it's here in Texas and not at my brother's in Mississippi.
Old September 7, 2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Lee McNelly

question for those who know

can a fiberglass rod used in electrical fencing be used for a range rod and if possible what attachments in 10 28 would be needed and where do i find them

this is for a 50 CAL carbine
thanks
Old September 7, 2011, 09:40 PM   #8
arcticap

Fiberglass does not make the best ramrod material because it's abrasive to the crown. However using a muzzle guide would probably alleviate that.

See post #4 above. RMC sells a ramrod kit to build your own ramrod and I'm pretty sure that October Country, Dixie Gun Works and Track of the Wolf does too. The RMC kit comes in several different diameters.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/index.aspx?as=1

www.Dixiegun.com
Old September 8, 2011, 04:05 AM   #9
Hawg

A fiberglass fence post will sooner or later fill your hand with tiny fiberglass hairs. Not a good feeling.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:25 AM   #10
Pahoo

You really don't want to go there.

Quote:
arcticap; Fiberglass does not make the best ramrod material because it's abrasive to the crown. However using a muzzle guide would probably alleviate that.
Right again and for the reasons mentioned. There is more than one Grey-Hair that found this out, the hard way. Now, Knight did issure the MK-85 with a poly rod. Later they went to the alum. tubing and that is what you have.

Rather than looking at fiber glass, look for some Delrin or other poly rods and as Arcticap listed, whenever possible, try to use a BoreGuide. These are made in Alum, poly and brass. ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 8, 2011 at 09:30 AM.