The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 1, 2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Miketodd04

New to Muzzleloading Question about Projectiles.

I have been searching for an answer to one question and I can't seem to find it. When shooting a modern Inline and using Lubed Maxi-Ball type projectiles, Do I need to use a sabot if the projectile is the same caliber as my rifle? I am very interested in trying different loads, but i didn't know if I needed to use sabot for these.

Thanks in advance!
-Mike
Old September 1, 2011, 11:09 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Mike,
No, you don't need to use a sabot when shooting lubed projectiles out of a modern inline muzzle loader. However, you're giving up most of the advantage of having the modern inline. You're limiting youself on muzzle velocity, accuracy, and bullet performance. Modern inlines shoot saboted bullets with a remarkable degree of accuracy out to some very long distances. You can shoot a large variety of jacketed bullets that are designed to perform very well at muzzle loading velocities. I've tried shooting lubed lead bullets out of my inlines to see how they perform and they shoot pretty good but they don't shoot as well as the saboted bullets and they don't perform as well on game. Don't get me wrong, I've shot a lot of deer with lubed lead bullets but I've also shot a lot with saboted jacketed bullets and I've shot them a lot further with the sabots. You might want to think about trying some sabots. Hornady and TC both package sabots and bullets togather and they work pretty well. Get some and give them a try. Good luck with what ever you use.
Old September 1, 2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Miketodd04

Thanks for the info. I am currently shooting TC Shockwave 250g with 100gr of powder and I am pretty pleased. But one of the advantages I like about muzzleloaders is the fact that I can play with the load and projectiles. I saw some of these lubed ones for a good price and was thinking about picking up a box just to try.
Thanks again!
Old September 1, 2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Pahoo

What floats your stick

Mike,
To a certain degree, it kind of depends on which way your are leaning, in regards to M/L's. Tagrget, Hunting or both. I have shot most of the options out there. You have refered to "Conicals" and have shot them as well. As far as in-lines, you could certainly shoot conicals but as mentioned, Sabots are prefered. By chance, are you looking for a more economical projectile in addition to the Shockwaves? Sounds like you have worked up a good "hunting" shot-string with these. .....

For a number of years now, I use a cast lead pistol bullet in .44 or .45 X .50 sabots and have worked up a hunting and target shot strings. I buy my lead pistol bullets in bulk. You could do this as well and save some bucks. Just make sure you remove and wash all bullet lube.

One of my favorite hunting load, in one of my SideLocks, is the Maxihunter or Lyman great plains. Both are Conicals.....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 2, 2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Miketodd04

You mentioned "washing off the bullet lube". I thought that was the point of using a conical, not having to put it in a sabot and using the lube instead. Please correct me if i'm wrong, I don't want to mess up my new ML.
Old September 2, 2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Pahoo

Did not mean to confuse you !!

Mike,
I'm refering to the use of pistol bullets that are normally used in center fired pistols. The Sabots you buy, for a .50 M/L are usually .44 or .45 caliber. When you buy them in bulk or reload for use in reloading pistols, they are lubed. If you use these in a sabot, you should remove that lube. This is an inexpensive alternative to using one of those more expensive jacketed bullet they sell for in-line M.L's. Sorry if I was not all that clear .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 2, 2011, 04:51 PM   #7
Miketodd04

10-4 I understand now.
Thanks!
Old September 5, 2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Doyle

Quote:
I am currently shooting TC Shockwave 250g
Mike, let me save you some money. Those TC Shockwaves are made by Hornady. The Hornady SST is the EXACT same bullet, but with a red tip instead of a yellow tip. The only other difference is the price. The Shockwave sells for $12.39/15. Hornady branded SST sells for $12.39/20.
Old September 6, 2011, 03:19 PM   #9
FrontierGander

and neither the sst or shockwave are worth a darn Pick a better bullet like the hornady XTP, Harvester scorpion PT Gold.

The sst/shockwave have bad habits or poor blood trail, zero bullet expansion or they just fragment to heck and back.
Old September 6, 2011, 03:51 PM   #10
Doyle

FrontierGander, I'll agree that the Hornady XTP's hit very hard. However, they have the BC of a concrete block. When comparing the SST and the XTP side-by-side with a rifle sighted in at 100 yds, the XTP will have over a foot of extra drop at 200 yds. That is a huge difference. I'll gladly settle for a bullet that doesn't expand quite as much for 12+" of flatter shooting.