The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 28, 2008, 12:14 AM   #1
Avid Concealer

What is the "best" Supressor for an AR-15?

Of course this may be a well opinionated question. I haven't done much research, but I have found this one: http://www.advanced-armament.com/pro...ifles/m42k.asp It only reduces the sound about 35dB. That's not much more than a loud whisper in a quiet library, especially considering that my gun probably produces in the neighborhood of 115dB. Is a 35dB reduction very noticable? I'm looking for a supressor that "significantly" reduces the sound. I'd like my .223 cal weapon to be as silent as possible. Any direction or recommendations?

Thanks!

~aC
Old January 28, 2008, 12:18 AM   #2
DonR101395

M4 2000 is a good suppressor. 30-37db is pretty much standard reduction for 5.56
If you're looking for Hollywood movie sound suppression it ain't gonna happen.

Take a look at the Gemtech Halo also. It doesn't require a special flash suppressor. If you can use a blank adaptor on your flash suppressor the Halo will fit it.
Old January 28, 2008, 12:23 AM   #3
hoytinak

Quote:
If you're looking for Hollywood movie sound suppression it ain't gonna happen.
What he said.....If you haven't heard a suppessor in person try to find somebody with one to give you an idea of what your getting into. I've got a Surefire FA556-212 and it's been good to me.
Old January 28, 2008, 01:15 AM   #4
Avid Concealer

I know you guys don't know me so no offense taken, I realize that you're trying to help and I appreciate that, but I do realize that I wouldn't be getting a "Hollywood sound reduction." I've also read this article about the surefire and they seem to have a pretty good product(of course their info is likely biased seeing that I read about them on their site). I've shot a few suppressed weapons before, but nothing as large as a 5.56mm and I just want to know what I really need to be looking for as far as overall quality (accuracy, sound suppression etc...). Any more input would be appreciated. Here's the surefire link: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../518/sesent/00

Of course accuracy, durability and reliability are important as well. I neglected to mention those in the opening post.

Thanks

aC~

Last edited by Avid Concealer; January 28, 2008 at 01:18 AM. Reason: big bird
Old January 28, 2008, 05:58 PM   #5
VUPDblue

You can do better than a Surefire for about 1/2 the price of one IMHO...YMMV
Old January 29, 2008, 09:49 PM   #6
oldcspsarge

Quietest 223 Supressor

The La France is the quietest. It is made with wire-cut EDM titanium baffles and is call the HFZ. While not tiny, it is quiet. Beat every supreswsor on the market and is used at F.L.E.T.C. for all day long training with M-4's

La France Specialties is in Cali so it is for sale to Police Agencies and Military only.

If you are in a legal state outside Cali and have a class 3 dealer to receive it for you....send me a PM and I can get them for around $ 800 delivered.

8.75" OAL -54db supression http://www.nait.com/LAFRANCE/silen.html

nothing else come close to quieting and quality.
Old January 29, 2008, 10:17 PM   #7
VUPDblue

Quote:
If you are in a legal state outside Cali and have a class 3 dealer to receive it for you....send me a PM and I can get them for around $ 800 delivered.
Hell, I'd be interested in pricing for the SRC, assuming it is full-auto rated.
Old January 30, 2008, 01:36 PM   #8
LiquidTension7

The "best" suppressor for me was an M4-1000. Not the quietest, but you can't beat it for the price ($550). The 1k is almost the same as the old model 2k. The new 2k has a better QD system and slightly better dB reduction, but it costs $350 more. I fired a 1k and an old model 2k side by side and couldn't tell much of a difference. .223 also works well out of a lot of .30 cal cans.

You can get "Hollywood level" suppression out of an M4-1k but only with subsonic ammo. I live in a dense neighborhood (with acres of flood plain behind the house) and I popped off a few rounds of home rolled subsonics last night in the back yard - quieter than a pellet gun. The loudest sound is the bullet impacting the target. These loads will not cycle the action, and I don't have a recipe for any that will.
Old January 30, 2008, 03:22 PM   #9
Avid Concealer

Thanks for the help guys and wow...that LAFRANCE is huge haha!
Old January 31, 2008, 01:03 AM   #10
grey_pilgrim

For the op - If I have 100 cases of ammo and you have two, and someone steals half of both our ammo, i lost a lot more than you!

The decibel scale is a logarithmic scale (if you know this, sorry for assuming you didn't). IN the case of decibels, this means that every three decibels you increase, the power increases by a factor of two.

THe effect of this is that a 35 db difference in sound at 140 decibels is much much larger than a 35 db difference in sound at, say, 40 decibels.
Old January 31, 2008, 01:56 AM   #11
David Hineline

Silencers

If you made it into Ohio, then get ahold of Scott at Cousinos Firearms in Toledo and set up a demo to hear a .223 silencer, so you are sure this is what you want.

If you really need quiet then you need get into some rifle like a 300 whisper or some other whisper cartridge which throws heavy bullets as subsonic velocities.

http://www.cousinos-firearms.com/index.htm
Old January 31, 2008, 11:08 AM   #12
Syntax360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid Concealer
It only reduces the sound about 35dB. That's not much more than a loud whisper in a quiet library, especially considering that my gun probably produces in the neighborhood of 115dB.
How do you figure that your .223 is only producing 115db? You must be talking about after being suppressed, as most suppressed 9mm's put off ~120-125db. Either way, there is no way you are seeing 115db w/o using subsonics...
Old August 29, 2011, 02:24 AM   #13
loaferoatan

international shipping

Is there anyway to get a Suppressor for an M4 shipped to me internationally (legally)? Or is it ITAR protected?
Old August 30, 2011, 09:52 PM   #14
HotGuns

Quote:
Or is it ITAR protected?
Yep.