The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2011, 06:46 AM   #26
FIRERESCUEO2

A few guys at my local range have one ............ they seem to enjoy shooting them and I have not heard any complaints. I prefer my Benelli M4 - but to each their own!!
Old August 20, 2011, 07:08 AM   #27
Slugo

I prefer your Benelli M4 too!!
Old August 20, 2011, 08:14 AM   #28
LSnSC

One of my BIL and SIL lives in Argentina. I have been there numerous times to visit and usually try to include a hunt. About all I see on the dove hunts are Benelli and Beretta autos. Most shooters dont want the excessive pounding an O/U or SxS gives after 500-1000 rounds in a day.

The extremes of shotgunning arent the reality for most. One one extreme you have the gun club crowd that thinks everyone should want and have a high end shotgun. They are absolutely necessary to find happiness in the field and on the range.

.The other is the tacticool crowd. They see potential danger everywhere and need a high capacity combat shotgun at the ready to defend life and limb.

Reality is most people are in the middle, and happy with midline guns that can serve multiple purposes.
Old August 20, 2011, 12:02 PM   #29
TheKlawMan

Quote:
The other is the tacticool crowd. They see potential danger everywhere and need a high capacity combat shotgun at the ready to defend life and limb.
I don't know if it is fair to label all the tacticool bunch paranoids. Sure there is some fantasy in owning combat guns, but I don't know that is different than how we enjoy other aspects of our lives; many of which turn on a kind of fantasy whether it is nintendo, the movies or television, foollowing sports and I suppose a myriad other accepted past times. I suspect that even the proud owner of a high end O/U derives much of their pleasure from associating themselves with the great shooters. The same is true of the guy with a collection of high end pistols who may even enjoy things such as quick draw or CAS or those shooting black powder muzzle loaders.

On the other hand, from what I have experienced the black gun crowd has a disproportionate share of paranoid individuals, but I think it unfair to tar them all with the same brush. Now I have to get back to the world of reality and win the Battler of Briton flying a Sptfire ala Flight Simulator.
Old August 20, 2011, 12:15 PM   #30
MLeake

Why does it have to be either or? Why can't people appreciate variety?

I wouldn't take a high end trap gun on a Texas hog hunt, where friends have shot a hog only to find out a bunch of its buddies were nearby; the Saiga would be preferred.

I wouldn't opt to use the Saiga for birds or clays.

I would prefer the Saiga for ensconced home defense.

I don't own a Saiga, though. My only "black gun" is an M4gery. I bought that for home practice with a work rifle, when I was SELRES.

I don't think I am paranoid. At times, though, they have been out to get me, if only with indirect fire.

And oneounceload, you may not have meant to, but you did come across a bit gun-snobby.
Old August 20, 2011, 12:19 PM   #31
Double Naught Spy

I don't like the Saiga shotgon in the OP for only one reason. I have had two friends with them and they have both experience the same problem. The box magazines do not appear to be good for storing ammo for extended periods of time. The rounds can start to flatten out a bit around the leading edge over time and be difficult to chamber and hence cause a feed malfunction. So the gun is not one I could see as being a good one to have on standby for home defense. It is a problem more with the box magazine and ammo than with the gun itself.

Now, for hunting or blasting targets, they are an absolute hoot to shoot. I could see the Saiga being a nifty hog gun.
Old August 20, 2011, 12:37 PM   #32
Edward429451

I like more traditional shotguns myself, but I would like having neighbors who owned such weapons. Why not? Something else. That thing appears to be a combat shotgun. If I ever have to fight with a longarm in my hands it's a safe bet that I sure as heck would not have a shotgun for many reasons. But it's totally cool if you do.
Old August 20, 2011, 12:57 PM   #33
oneounceload

Quote:
And oneounceload, you may not have meant to, but you did come across a bit gun-snobby.
For expressing disappointment that a lot of younger and newer shooters have no idea what I was talking about when it comes to bulino, circassian, etc.?

Then so be it I guess - if that's the way you want to take it - it was a truthful observation - and appreciating something other than black plastic that might cost more doesn't make you a gun snob, but remaining unaware of other options does make you ignorant................
Old August 20, 2011, 01:46 PM   #34
dgludwig

Quote:
Amazing how many people look down their noses at people who have a different taste in guns instead of supporting folks for being involved in the sport at all.
Agreed. Though I have no plans on getting a Saiga (or its ilk) anytime soon, I have absolutely no problem with people having different discriminations in guns than me (way different, in the case at hand ). I've never met a gun I couldn't appreciate in one way or another at one time or another and that sentiment certainly applies to the Saiga.

If more guns of different stripes bring more shooters of varying interests to the table, then I say "the more guns, the merrier."
Old August 20, 2011, 01:53 PM   #35
Clifford L. Hughes

Slugo:

There's an old saying: to each his own when the old lady kissed th cow and it holds true with gun owner ship. When owner ship of a glass of gun is bad mouthed in the media, by shooters, we play right into the hands of the anti-gun crowd. Their phlosophy is that certin types of guns have no place in citizens hands. This kind of gun bashing must be curtailed.

Semmper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old August 20, 2011, 02:15 PM   #36
C0untZer0

I've been wanting a 930 SPX for a long time - but I don't think I'll have much fun with it after I purchase it. It just doesn’t seem to be that much fun to me - setting up a target 5 or 10 yards away or something and blasting it with buckshot.

It will just sit somewhere for HD. And the more I think about it - the more I think I will use a pistol for HD - not a shotgun. I can keep my pistol in one of those easy open gun safes, I'm not sure what's out there to keep a shotgun inaccessible to children but accessible to an adult in just seconds in case of a break-in.
Old August 20, 2011, 02:59 PM   #37
MLeake

oneounceload, you are now being disingenuous... reread your post #5. Nowhere did you say that any other type of gun owner would want the Saiga; you lumped everybody into the out-of-touch video-gamer wanna-be crowd. I found it kind of offensive, to be honest with you.

Please also see the Clifford L. Hughes post, a few above this one.

Your characterizations in post # 5 would play perfectly for the antis... you might consider that before posting those types of comments.
Old August 20, 2011, 03:03 PM   #38
oneounceload

No, but I am not going to hijack this thread with your mistaken observations

All I was saying is that there is more to shotguns than black plastic and it is sad that many are unaware of that

End of this thread for me
Old August 20, 2011, 05:30 PM   #39
rottieman33

I have a Saiga 12 and love the gun. This post is just another post to get people fighting again. You got your people that like the guns like the Saiga's and you don't and it will always be like that.
Old August 20, 2011, 08:04 PM   #40
Gehrhard

Ta have, see!
But I wouldn't actually buy it unless it was a compelling price that I couldn't pass up. Then it is a cool thing to own and try. And look at. And display. And have in the collection. To show off. To have as a store of value -- an investment. To rely on in emergencies. To play with at the range...

May I stop now?