The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2011, 07:58 AM   #1
KW Gary M

Lee Load Master Priming Problem

Been a couple years since I've been on here but I'm back seeking help/advice.

Any Load Master Experts out there?

I am having trouble with my primer feeder on my load master press and hope you might have some suggestions. If I use wrong names for parts please excuse me. I'll do my best. The primers are not feeding into the primer pushing ram under the shell plate. It seems the primer slider is not sliding back to pick up a new primer. When the case leaves station 1 deprimed it hits the part of the primer slide ard that is supposed to push the arm causing the slider to move back and pick up the new primer. That seems to be caught. I have to give it some pressure when pushing back up on my handle indexing the shell plate and the arm does not move back to allow the slider to pick up another primer.

I have taken the whole priming kit off my press and it slides easily in my hand but not when I install it back on the press. I have inspected the primer slider and it appears to be in perfect shape as does the arm.
I don't think it would be worn out. I bought the press in December of 2010 and maybe loaded 2,000 rounds.

Any Load Master people got some suggestions?
Old April 10, 2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Mike-Mat

If it's clean and doesn't bind when it's out of the press, then something must be binding it when it's in the press. It's probably not worn. I've made over 4000 rounds with my press and it's still smooth.

I did see a video on youtube for disassembling the primer chute for removing burs and cleaning. See if you can find that and maybe take it completely apart for cleaning.

Or try loadmaster.com Lots of Loadmaster users there that can help.

Mike
Old April 10, 2011, 04:24 PM   #3
KW Gary M

I have taken it all apart, cleaned it with Mineral Spirits and a tooth brush. It is as clean as brand new. I had never heard of loadmaster.com. I'll look there. In general I am very happy with my load master.
Old April 11, 2011, 04:49 PM   #4
KW Gary M

Upon forther inspection I noticed the spring next to the priming pin was bent a little. I replaced that and it works good as new.
Old April 11, 2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Mike-Mat

It's always the last thing you look at.... Mostly because, after you find the problem, why keep looking?

Glad you found it.

Mike
Old April 11, 2011, 06:18 PM   #6
KW Gary M

If nothing else it caused me to clean my primer equipment very well and did it ever need it.
Old August 6, 2011, 10:04 AM   #7
WyrTwister

Another thing that can affect priming is the carrier in need of alignment .

And dies screwed down to far , limiting the upward travel of the press ram & carrier .

God bless
Wyr