The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2011, 03:18 PM   #1
MDS

Question about PF9 and primers

I picked up a Kel Tec PF9 9mm. I have ran a few hundred Federal and Blazer ammo through it. I started running my loads and found a problem. Was wondering if anyone else encountered it. I'm getting light strikes on Wolf primers. I loaded a couple of hundred with some federal primers and it ate em up. No factory I've shot and no loads with Federal, just Wolf.
Old August 3, 2011, 03:51 PM   #2
totaldla

Measure the primer height. I've had too short primers from Wolf - but they were Large Pistol Magnum.

It also possible that Wolf cups are harder than Federal and the PF9 is a bit light on the whacking.
Old August 3, 2011, 03:56 PM   #3
MDS

Never heard of the primer height issue. I'll look at them later. The Wolf are harder for sure. I thought maybe the smaller lighter springs might have something to do with it. Are the Winchester and Blazer factory ammo softer than Wolf?
Old August 3, 2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Scimmia

In general, Winchester and CCI (Blazer) primers are harder than Federal, but not as hard as Wolf.
Old August 3, 2011, 04:13 PM   #5
MDS

Thanks, That may be it then. No biggie, I'll just load rounds for this gun with Feds. Range time will be limeted anyway, just to keep in practice.
Old August 3, 2011, 04:27 PM   #6
throttleup

Wollf Primers

Yes, WOLF Small Pistol Primers seem slightly harder, take a little more force to seat and have a tendency to sit higher than Winchester or Federal. After thousands of 9mm rounds I now use WOLF primers for my practice ammo (cause I'm cheap) and Winchester or Federal for my match ammo. I get approximately 2% light strikes with my M&P Pro during practice and none during matches. I go through approximately 6,000 WOLF small pistol primers a year. However, they always fire when used in my Springfield, 1911, Target Model. I have had no problems with the Large Pistol Primers but then they are all shot out of 1911, .45's. Bill
Old August 3, 2011, 04:36 PM   #7
MDS

Yeah, I use Wolf also, SRM, large and small. The small I use in my XD, glock and revolvers and never had an issue. The M&P is a smaller gun also isn't it?