The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2011, 11:46 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

Did you have your bayonets affixed (91/30 and similar) or extended (M44)?
It makes a difference. These rifles were designed to have the bayonet extended or affixed for firing, and actually had their factory accuracy and POI testing done in that configuration.

And.. What type of rest and stance were you using for the testing?
Old July 22, 2011, 06:35 AM   #27
Osage

Quote:
Did you have your bayonets affixed (91/30 and similar) or extended (M44)?
It makes a difference. These rifles were designed to have the bayonet extended or affixed for firing, and actually had their factory accuracy and POI testing done in that configuration.

And.. What type of rest and stance were you using for the testing?
Shooting off two sand bags on a shooting bench. Been doing well with this on my other rifles.
I can try the bayo's. Never shot with them on. The rifle has shot well in the past and the bore is excellent. I'll step the powder down a notch and see what happens - and try the bayo.
Old July 22, 2011, 03:46 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

Something I often forget about, and most people overlook.....

The sights on Mosins are not graduated in Meters or Yards. The graduations are in Arshins, which measures out to roughly 28 inches. For 0-100 yard shooting, it works fairly well, to just use the corresponding mark. For 100+ yards, it can cause you to shoot low, though. Adjust the sights a bit, and see what that does for you.

And, just some advice from some one that has reloaded for two Mosins, and several other milsurps traditionally loaded with heavy bullets:
Give Round Nose (or blunt spitzer) bullets from Hornady (.312), Sierra (.311), Speer (.311), or Woodleigh (.312) a try, in the 170-180 grain weight class. It can really help with feeding issues, and often tightens groups up a bit. My personal favorites are Hornady 174 gr RNs, and Woodleigh 215 gr RNs.