The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 13, 2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: September 26, 2010
Posts: 1,536
lead bullet terminology

I am new to reloading and I have gotten some lead cast bullets from someone who is getting out of casting and loading due to health reasons.

I have some questions as to what some of the terms are he used to describe his lead. What I have received is:

38 cal
158gr cast SWC Lee Tumble
162gr cast WC duracast

45 cal
200gr SWC Lee Tumble
230gr CWC Duracast

Does the SWC and WC stand for semi-wadcutter and wadcutter? What is CWC. Is the Lee Tumble and Duracast the brand of equipment he used to cast.

Is there anyway to be sure if this is hard or soft cast (I want to avoid leading). I have sent him a message but thought I would ask here while I am waiting.

Find out just how tall I am
By jumping in the middle of a river
TennJed is offline  
Old June 13, 2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Civil War Life
Senior Member
Join Date: January 15, 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 166
There are lead hardness gauges available.

Kind of expensive so I don't have one and I don't cast modern bullets so have no need for one of these.
Civil War Life is offline  
Old June 14, 2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: October 13, 2009
Location: nw wyoming
Posts: 1,012
Your right about semi-wadcutter and wadcutter. I dont know CWC is.
I think Duracast might be a brand name, but Lee tumble lube bullets have small little lube grooves for a softer, more liquid lube and you dont have to size them.

If you can scratch the bullet easily with a finger nail, its fairly soft. If you push pretty hard on it and basically only make a mark, its considered hard. If you get a hardness tester, you will see a wide range of hardnesses.
reloader28 is offline  
Old June 14, 2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Join Date: March 4, 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,741
Possibly Cast Wad-Cutter to distinguish it from swaged, but that appears redundant since they already mention cast WC's. Conical Wad-Cutter also occurred to me, but I don't know how that would differ from a semi-wadcutter, which normally has a conical section. I'd call or email Duracast and ask them.
Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Benefactor Member
Unclenick is offline  
Old June 14, 2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: April 23, 2008
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 273
Duracast is a commercial cast bullet company. Their alloy is probably hard, typlical of commercial CB sellers. As for leading, fit is king to prevent leading, meaning the bullet size in relation to barrel rifling size should be .001-.002 larger. For revolvers, the bullets should be the same size as the chamber throats which hopefully are larger then the barrel rifling size. Bullets should also have a good lube. The only way you are going to know if they lead is try them. A copper choreboy pad (make sure its copper) will easily remove any leading in the rifling; just wrap some strands around a brush and go to it.
God Bless America
US Army, NRA Endowment
CherokeeT is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.04835 seconds with 9 queries