The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2010, 08:54 PM   #1
pharmertim

.499 LWR

I have ONE bullet. I was wondering if I take it apart, can I somehow make a mold to make more projectiles ?

OR does anyone know who might make .499" molds ?
Old February 3, 2010, 10:50 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

If the bullet you have is a jacketed bullet, and you intend to cast lead bullets, the lead bullets are generally a tad larger than the jacketed bullets. Give us a little more info as to what you are trying to achieve. But, to answer one of you questions....Yes, there are mold manufacterers out there that will custom make molds to your specifications. But, before you pay the big price for one of these custom molds it is best to make sure you order the right size (diameter)...or you will have a really nice paperweight mold.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 4, 2010, 02:03 PM   #3
snuffy

Quote:
I have ONE cartridge. I was wondering if I take it apart, can I somehow make a mold to make more bullets ?
Not to be a smart a$$, but I edited your post to correct terminology.

Now to ask a question? How heavy is the bullet? The reason I ask is lee already makes a .500 440 grain gas checked bullet for the 500 S&W magnum. It's a WFN or Wide Flat Nose configuration. Another ?. What ype of firearm is your ammo fired in? We need more info for a specific answer.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 6, 2010, 12:59 PM   #4
pharmertim

LWR.

My fire arm is a rare LWR ar-15 based .499 caliber rifle

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepa...itnerwise.html

I have one Cartridge from a collector web site... I have 100rounds of brass.... dies from RCBS and a press ..... and I would like to get projectiles to make more rounds from my brass. The diameter of the projectile is .499 ... would a 0.500 round work for reloading at .001 difference ? Or does anyone know who might have molds to make anything ?
Old February 6, 2010, 01:02 PM   #5
pharmertim

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/AR15bigbore.htm
Old February 6, 2010, 02:05 PM   #6
snuffy

pharmertim, thanks for the links! That looks interesting. I suspect they are just using the .499 designation as a designation or unique handle rather than an actual bore diameter. In other words, it's a 50 cal. Now as to the mold I mentioned, it appears to be way too heavy for a standard loading for your rifle. Also, if you were to cast some bullets with it using very hard lead, the weight might get down to around 425 grains,( softer lead weighs more, harder--less).

If you'd like to try some of mine, I'd be happy to send you some. I would not be able to suggest any load data though. As for velocity, I doubt you could get much above 15-1600 fps with a 440 grain lead bullet. Also, there wasn't much detail about the rifle, does it have a normal AR-15 gas system? Shooting lead in the gas system can lead to problems with fouling the gas ports.

I don't see any reason why a standard 50 cal jacketed bullet wouldn't work. Even if the bore of the rifle is actually .499. .001 or one thousandths is nothing when the bullet is being driven by high pressure gases, it will reduce in diameter when entering the rifling.

There's several 300 grain 50 cal jacketed bullets made now. Speer and Hornady both make them intended for the 50 AE. You should be able to load them for your rifle.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 6, 2010, 05:49 PM   #7
pharmertim

This is the limited information that I have.

(i can give you my favorite load which is a Rainier 335 Gr. HP bullet, #34 CCI primer, that is the Military designation, not really needed, but that is my preference, 50 Gr. Ramshot TAC powder, accuracy at 100 yd. for my piston LWRC Carbine has been phenomenal.., in my OPINION would you believe 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" groups, at 200 yd. they spread out to 6" groups still very good for a man sized target.)

Do you think the 50 caliber beowulf 300 Gr. bullet will "streatch" the brass enough to cause jaming problems as it is inserted and expelled from the action ?
and
What does it mean by " 50 Gr. Ramshot Tac Powder" .... is that 50 grams ? 50 grains ? of powder ?
Old February 21, 2010, 07:43 PM   #8
gun deals

.499 brass sizing?

I have a .499 and I just acquired some "new" brass from a seller on gunbroker. The odd thing is this "new" brass is about an 8th of an inch shorter than everything else I have spent brass and ammo? I don't know a whole lot about reloading yet but when I use a resizing die will it take care of this? I tried to put one of the brass in the chamber of the rifle and the bolt would not extract it. it did extract the brass I have already shot that is an 8th longer. Also I was wondering if anyone has any .499 dies for sale or if there is something different to do with 500 s&w dies as I have heard that they can be used to reload .499. Any ideas here guys?
Old March 14, 2010, 12:31 AM   #9
saands

That is most assuredly 50 GRAINS of powder there ... not grams ... 50 grams would be 770 grains of powder ... in a 50 cal, that would only be possible in a 50BMG

Saands
Old April 21, 2010, 03:49 PM   #10
pharmertim

Hey GUN DEALS, I had the same brass issues and there doesnt seem to be a way to stretch it out.

I did find another use for the brass however in a beowulf application with a new head ... so if you want to get rid of those let me know and Ill purchase them from you.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:16 PM   #11
gun deals

.499 50 beowulf brass

Hey Pharmertim,

I know this thread is over a year old but yeah i am interested in selling the shortened .499 brass. If you are still interested email me at [email protected]