The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 17, 2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Cowart

Messed up a Remington 870

I have a Remington 870 - the police model with the short barrel and extended magazine. I bought it new in the box a couple of years ago, but its never been fired. I haven't done anything with it up til now because it has a fairly rough action.

I finally got around to cleaning it in preparation for a first trip to the range. I had some difficulty get it apart, but finally got it done. I had much more difficulty getting it back together.

The forend has become locked into the receiver, and won't move in any direction. After studying the parts diagrams I realized that I had held the forend upside down from the correct position when I inserted the action bars into the receiver.

I'm willing to take it to a local gunsmith and endure the tongue lashing that is sure to occur, but I thought I would check here first to see if anyone here has a suggestion on how to get the forend unlocked from the receiver.

It looks like one of the cutouts in one of the action bars has slipped into a machined recess at the base of the magazine tube. I haven't wanted to try brute force, as I have obviously exceeded my competency level at this point.
Old March 17, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2
rantingredneck

Find the shell stops on a diagram.

Reach into the bottom of the receiver through the loading gate and push the shell stops outward against the reciever walls while pulling the forend/action bar assembly forward.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 18, 2011, 01:45 AM   #3
Cowart

Thanks, rantingredneck, but that is not the problem. I know about the shell stops, as that was how I initially disassembled the gun.

The problem is that I got distracted while reassembling the gun and put the forend on upside down. The forend is not being held in place by the shell stops - its just jammed in place.
Old March 18, 2011, 02:04 PM   #4
guncrank

Hold open shell stops and drive forend foreward
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old March 18, 2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Cowart

Just got back from the gunsmith. He fixed it! He said it was stuck so bad that it took 2 people working together to get it apart. But he didn't charge me. It was a bit embarassing...
Old March 19, 2011, 11:46 AM   #6
langenc

Post his name and he will have 10 new 'customers' Monday am.