The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 9, 2011, 05:38 PM   #1
lithnights

Glock 26 or Kahr PM9 for IWB CCW.. already own a Glock 19

BASIC QUESTION: Glock 26 or Kahr PM9 for IWB?

DETAILS: I got my Glock 19 (first gun) a couple months ago. I've put about 300 rounds through it and love it. I bought it as a good gun for home self defense and occasional carry. After a couple weeks of mexican carry around the house (waiting to buy holster), I got a simple holster and have been carrying it in and around the house.

At times, I don't even notice I have it (like right now while I'm sitting) but there are other times that I definitely notice it on me (in and out of cars, driving, getting onto our kitchen bar stools, wife leaning against me when watching TV etc.) Thus, I'm looking to get another (smaller) gun for CCW for IWB. I've read hundreds, maybe thousands, of posts here and elsewhere, so I've done tons of research. But since my situation is sort of unique (I already own a 19), I wanted to post my question. I've read that countless people carry the 19 but I often wonder if that is IWB or OWB. For OWB, I think I'd love it, but for IWB, it seems chunky. For you 19 carriers, do you carry IWB or OWB?

First off, local shops are limited but I PLAN TO SHOOT ALL that are available to me. That should help immensely. But beyond that, I wanted to get opinions. I held, holstered, aimed etc. the 26, PM9, and CW9 earlier today. Here are my thoughts on each.

G26.. PRO: Glock quality, can use mags from the 19 (i.e. can bring multiple Glock mags to the range to shoot the 19 and 26), used to my Glock, has larger (10) capacity. CON: just as thick as the 19 (which I think is chunky for IWB)

PM9.. PRO: Super thin which felt great in my holster, shorter and lighter than the 26. CON: Smaller capacity (6), doesn't seem to have as high praise as Glock 26, would have to use/transport/store mags from different makers, slide doesn't feel as smooth as the Glocks, greater recoil.

CW9.. PRO: Super thin like the PM9, can shoot without my pinky falling off. CON: Same cons as the PM9 PLUS it's longer, higher and heavier than the PM9.

So basically, I'm down to the G26 and PM9. Any suggestions based on my situation? Like I said, I do plan to go shoot both. At the bottom of this post, I'm simply putting in all the stats that I've compiled. I figured this would help with the discussion.

Thanks in advance!!

Glock 19 15 rounds 6.85 length, 5.0 height, 1.18 width 21 oz pistol, 30 oz loaded
Glock 26 10 rounds, 6.29 length, 4.17 height, 1.18 width, 19.75 oz pistol, 26.1 loaded
Kahr PM9 6 rounds, 5.3 length, 4.0 height, .90 width, pistol 14 oz, mag 1.9 oz
Kahr CW9 7 rounds 5.9 length, 4.5 height, .90 width, pistol 15.8 oz. mag 1.9 oz

Last edited by lithnights; February 9, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old February 9, 2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Burger

I would say to go with the Kahr. Never had one, not yet anyway.

But the G26 is too close to the G19 that you already have. I'm not knocking the G26 nor the use of the G19 mag in the G26, but if you want to go smaller the G26 is a itty bitty bit smaller than the G19.

So go for the Kahr. Just expect the recoil to be a bit more than your Glock. It's because it's tiny, you'll feel it more.
Old February 9, 2011, 05:51 PM   #3
lithnights

Good point. I should have put "greater recoil" under the CON of the PM9. I'll update the original post.

Thanks.
Old February 9, 2011, 05:58 PM   #4
DoctorXring

PM9

I've shot 380's and mak's that have harsher recoil that a PM9.

Old February 9, 2011, 06:03 PM   #5
2damnold4this

I really like the G26 but not for inside the waistband carry. But then again, I don't like any firearm for IWB carry. I carry a G26 inside my pocket or in a Blackhawk! Serpa holster. I do like being able to use G19 and G17 magazines in the G26.
Old February 9, 2011, 06:07 PM   #6
Beentown71

This is begging for the use of a poll

PM9 or CW9 all the way. It with a Crossbreed Minituck is a dream.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old February 9, 2011, 06:22 PM   #7
lithnights

Beentown, soon as I hit post, I thought the same thing. But I can't seem to go back now and add a poll to this thread. If anyone knows how, let me know! I wish I could close this one down and start over! Any moderators out there?

Last edited by lithnights; February 9, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old February 9, 2011, 07:03 PM   #8
jreXD9

I don't have a Glock 26 but have shot one and it was a pleasure to shoot. I have a PM9, CW9 and a CW45 now and carry the .45 every day. I'd estimate the perceived recoil of the CW9 to be the same as that of the G26 and the recoil of the PM9 just a little bit more....which means still very manageable. As of June/2011 it'll be 2 yrs of new to the gun scene for me, so I know that they're more knowledgeable folks around here, but after buying and shooting and selling, in this order.....Springfield xd9sc, KTec PF9, Taurus Ultra Lite .38, Para Ordnance Warthog compact .45, S'field xd45c, another S'field xd9sc, Sig P238....I settled on Kahrs for 1)dependability 2)accuracy 3)ease of carry CC or OC due to height/length/thinness/weight.
Don't let the talk about the PM9's recoil influence you AT ALL. I'm 5'8", 185lbs and it's a piece of cake to shoot, even at the range until you just run out of ammo. I'd MUCH rather shoot it vs. the PF9, LCP, P3AT and the P238.
Old February 9, 2011, 07:52 PM   #9
glockcompact

I own the G23 (same frame as G19)
My wife has the G26
We both have the PM9.

First off, I'll tell you that I'm a Glock fanatic. Yea the Kool Aid taste sooooo good. I was a bit hesitant to buy the Kahr, but I'm glad I did. You're pros and cons are dead on and I completely see your dilema. To me though in the end the size difference between the g19 and g26 just isn't enough if you want to have some diversity. The PM9 is going to be considerably more comfortable IWB. That being said I want to get myself a G26 real bad to fill the gap. But I'm glad I got the Kahr first. The PM9 is a sweet little pistol. My wife and I have about 300 rounds through each. We have had no failures yet. I think Kahr makes a fine pistol and I feel I can trust my life with it. It does have more felt recoil then the G26 (because they are so thin). The G26 you can shoot all day. For me maybe not so much with the Kahr. I put about 50 - 75 rounds through it and I start to feel it.
We got the all black ones with night sights. Pricey - but I'm very happy with them. If you do a poll, my vote would be the Kahr PM9.
Old February 9, 2011, 08:09 PM   #10
orionengnr

I have owned G19, G23. I agree that double-stacks are too fat to conceal effectively/comfortably.

I currently own a PM9. It is (IMHO) the ultimate pocket carry pistol, and I carried mine every day for three years until I went to a larger IWB pistol (Kahr P45).

To be honest, (IMHO) carrying a PM9 IWB is missing the point. If you are going to carry IWB, the CW9 has several advantages (1/2" longer barrel, 1/2" longer grip frame--one extra finger on the grip, one extra round in the mag) and it costs $220-240 less than the PM9. (MSRP is $549 vice $786, but a search will show "real world" prices as low as $369 vs. $591).

Since I decided to go IWB, I can carry a P45 in, which is less than .3 inches longer and taller, and carries 6+1 of .45 acp.

I won't even go into the difference between a Kahr trigger and a Glock trigger.

Last edited by orionengnr; February 9, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old February 9, 2011, 08:46 PM   #11
proxpilot

after my range trip today, i vote Kahr CW9 or the P9 or PM9
Old February 9, 2011, 09:24 PM   #12
Mjbechtold

I am Going to suggest the Glock 26 Because i have a good history with mine.. but i will have to say the kahr does give it the run for its money
Old February 9, 2011, 10:18 PM   #13
Jeremiah/Az

I have the Glock 26 & the PM9 & to me the Kahr carries much better. I carry OWB always. I do not find the recoil of the PM9 bad at all. I have big hands & my little finger is curled under the grip, yet the gun is held securely. The Glock is my truck & range gun. The Kahr is not a range gun, but for CC it is hard to beat.
Old February 9, 2011, 10:40 PM   #14
ElectricHellfire

Glock 26. Yeah, it's thicker but I like the extra capacity and when I switch to my G19 in wintertime it's no biggie. Same platform.
Old February 9, 2011, 11:00 PM   #15
Dr_2_B

I own both the 40 cal cousins to your G19, the 23 & the subcompact 27. I also own an MK40 which is identical in size to the PM9. And having all these, I still will be buying a PM9 or PM40 asap. I happen to believe it is in a class all its own right now. I mean, I believe the g19 is in a class all its own too, but the PM9's class seems ideal for ccw.
Old February 9, 2011, 11:07 PM   #16
lithnights

Wow, great replies everyone. I'm trying to wrap my head around all of them and will read and reply more tomorrow, but for now, I wanted to add a couple points.

As I asked in my OP, are the G19 carriers carrying in or out of waistband?

I'm not overly concerned about recoil. I am a new shooter but I am 6' 200lbs so I think once I get better at shooting, the recoil shouldn't be an issue, especially since we're only talking 9mm here.

A couple comments were on suggesting a better holster.. I am all ears but I guess my fear is that even when I carried it mexican (just between jeans and waist), the 19 still seemed bulky. I would imagine any holster is going to have some "stuff" to it to make that feel even bulkier, no matter what. Am I off base? I don't want to turn this into a holster debate (I've probably read a thousand posts on that as well!) but am just curious.

Thanks again all. I'm hoping to hit the range over the next two weeks to shoot them both. But until then, keep the opinions coming.
Old February 10, 2011, 01:52 AM   #17
trio

I think the PM9 is in a different class of conceal ability than a g26. I have 2 PM9s, one which my wife carries every day

Ive had no issue with either..

Make sure if you go the PM9 route that you follow the manual..Particularly regarding the break in period, and for loading...the kahr manual specifically states to use the slide stop to chamber a round, not to slingshot the slide

At the gun store where I work part time, the few complaints we have had about PM9 s almost always involves people that didn't follow the manual

The g26 is a great gun, but to me it isn't significantly more concealable than a g19

I carry my pm9 in my pocket a lot
Old February 10, 2011, 07:57 AM   #18
iblong

I had the G26 now I have the G27.I also have a pm 9 and its a great pistol.
My first Kahr was a CW9 and it was a great pistol.Many carry the Pm9 in a
pocket holster but Im a jeans only guy and I found that pocket carry for me means a P3At/LCP and nothing larger.My prefered carry is (IWB) wheather its a 1911 or sub compact.
My wife stole the Kahr PM9 the first time she shot it,and if shes awake its in her belt.So I started carring my 27 while waiting to buy another Kahr and in the process found I really dont have any more problem carring it than the Kahr
IWB.I buy my jeans a size larger,use a good belt and holster.I find the kahr slighly more accurate but the 27 much better for fast follow up shots.the grip on the 27 is about the same lenth as the pm9 and thats the hardest for me to hide on any pistol.If I buy another Kahr it will be a CW or p series and be carried IWB.
Old February 10, 2011, 10:21 AM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

I've faced the same choice. I had a 19 and did buy a Kahr. Unfortunately, it never ran. I also didn't really like it that much as a pocket gun. Thus, I traded it for a 26 - commonality of trigger, mags, sights, etc. worked for me.

I stuck with a J frame or two for my pocket. I also have been tending towards an OWB - a Galco Matrix for the Glocks. It goes on easy. I have a very nice Milt Sparks IWB but storing food in increasing quantities for the apocalypse and aging has made managing IWBs a pain. The Matrix is easily covered.

I did have a nice Blade Tech IWB but I found that given I'm left handed - the mag release is on the outside and the plastic covering it would flex getting in and out of the car and release the mag. Happening with the Glocks and a 1911 version.

Thus, two Glocks and OWB is my common set up.
Old February 10, 2011, 10:49 AM   #20
Amin Parker

I like the Glock 26 i must admit.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old February 10, 2011, 11:03 AM   #21
kymarkh

Part of me says 'Go with the G26 so you will be able to share magazines and will not need any retraining for weapon use or maintenence', plus.. its a Glock.

Part of me says 'But the Kahr is SO MUCH THINNER!'. I just recently switched from the G26 to the PPS for carry myself.

Let us know what you decide.
Old February 10, 2011, 11:22 AM   #22
Northslope Nimrod

If you want the ability to pocket carry....get the PM9. If you are only going to carry in a holster, IWB or otherwise, I would get the Glock 26.

I carry my G26 IWB. Have it on now. If you just start buying all your pants an inch bigger, you will be fine.

If you aren't going to pocket carry, the K9 would be a nice choice too.
Old February 10, 2011, 11:40 AM   #23
los

Old February 10, 2011, 11:49 AM   #24
JCP281

Its a heck of a lot easier to conceal a Kahr than a Glock...Thats just a fact, anyone who argues is out of their mind. For concealed carry, concealability and thinness is everything to me. Round capacity, not as much. 7 shots is plenty to me. The OM9 also can be pocket carried(albeit just barely), so you get added versatility.

And I would say that a PM series Kahr is build better than any Glock iv ever had. The tolerances are a LOT tighter(which I like), and the trigger is lightyears better IMO.
Old February 10, 2011, 04:46 PM   #25
NWCP

The Kahr PM9 is a great sub compact 9mm. I wear one almost daily with an IWB. It has one of the best DAO triggers I've ever used. Smooth as butter.