The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 3, 2010, 01:55 PM   #1
LostinGermany

Pistol Classes in Philadelphia?

Are there any pistol classes coming to the Philly area anytime soon?
Old December 11, 2010, 01:12 AM   #2
LostinGermany

Please?
Old December 11, 2010, 01:26 AM   #3
egor20

A buddy of mine went here

Philadelphia Archery & Gun
831-833 Ellsworth Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
(215) 551-4544

http://www.philadelphiaarcheryandgunclub.com/

Not sure it will help you or not

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 12, 2010, 08:37 PM   #4
LostinGermany

I live a few blocks from there and im not sure i will shoot there again. Their prices are terribly expensive. Range fee and two boxes of 9mm worked out to $55 the last time i shot... I'm looking for a relatively basic pistol class. I've been sooting for about a year and want a veteran to tell me what i do wrong so i can improve, the more critical the better.
Old December 12, 2010, 08:44 PM   #5
beex215

that place is expensive. 19$ for a box of 9mm.
Old December 12, 2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Casimer

Philly isn't good for shooting activities.

Try Wicens - http://www.wicenshootingrange.com/learning_center.cfm
They offer NRA Pistol classes and their prices are very reasonable. The range is about 40min north on 95, near Newtown.
Old December 13, 2010, 10:01 AM   #7
ProShooter

We have a Utah permit class coming up in King of Prussia, Pa.

www.ProactiveShooters.com
Old December 13, 2010, 07:21 PM   #8
PoorSoulInJersey

Is your shooting that bad that it's worth several hundred dollars to get better?

Or do you need to just hang out with a few other shooters who know what they're doing to give you some ideas on how to improve?

I don't mean to say that it's not worth the money for professional instruction. I totally think it is. I just believe in "value for the money" and don't like seeing people sign up for the first thing they find. Make sure what you want to learn is covered before you sign up. If you want to get more accurate at 5 yards at full speed and the class covers holster selection and the difference between revolvers and semi-autos, you won't be happy with the money you spent.

For the cost of a full-day class, you can probably find a couple hours of one-on-one training and get some serious value out of it.
Old December 14, 2010, 06:58 PM   #9
LostinGermany

My roommate found this.

http://www.hsiusana.com/TrainingCour...sicPistol.aspx

It's not a matter of my shooting being bad. I've been shooting consistently for about a year and I know I have improved every time I have shot. I want to know my fundamentals are solid. I want to know my thumb is just out of place. I want to know all the little nuances that can't be learned from anyone who doesn't have their firearm attached to their body.
FUNDAMENTALS FUNDAMENTALS FUNDAMENTALS

Plus i can't do shooting on the move drills in downtown philly.
Old December 14, 2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Casimer

Inquire on whether you can take their classes. NJ is very weird when it comes to firearms. For instance, I can go to competitions in NJ, but if I want to join a club in NJ I apparently need a permit.
Old December 14, 2010, 09:32 PM   #11
Buzzcook

Quote:
Is your shooting that bad that it's worth several hundred dollars to get better?
Everyone benefits from instruction.
Old December 19, 2010, 12:10 PM   #12
govmule84

I've never been charged that much at SPAG, but there are other options.

Classic Pistol in Southampton is probably my fav - you can bring your own ammo, and the prices are definitely where they ought to be. If I recall correctly, if you bring your own eyes, ears, shells and targets, you are ONLY paying for a cardboard backer and lane time. However, you are also driving waaaay far out of Northeast. I don't know where you are located, so that may or may not be a good thing. They have a TON of classes there, and everyone I meet who works there seems friendly and knowledgeable, and totally not into that overbearing gun-store commando thing.

The aptly named Firing Line at Front and Tasker Sts. is also OK - I think they ask you to buy one or two boxes of ammo, then they don't care. Their fees are pretty low, but they are sort of a low-buck operation. The equipment is pretty tired, the decor and lighting are tired, and the building is pretty cold and dirty. However, it's affordable, and right in South Philly, so that's pretty convenient for most folks. I seem to remember them having classes, but they were sort of skimpy on scheduling, and the facilities this time of year would make it a little difficult - cold and dark.

One last thing to consider - Philly is expensive for everything. Higher sales tax, automatic Wage Tax for people who work here, and frequent protests at gun shops by antis bump prices. You don't have to like it; you just have to live with it. If you are willing and able, finding somewhere to take a class on the weekend outside the city is probably the way to go, especially if you are price-sensitive.

If not, SPAG is the place to go... High prices, but the best in Philly. Maybe get a membership there - it usually runs 3 hundred something for a regular, but on Glock Days and someother special days, they have basic membership for 79 bucks. Still have to use their ammo when you go, but no lane fees and big discounts for people going with you. Won't matter if you don't reload, I wouldn't think. I know they also have full auto rental, if that interests you.

Drop me a line if you want to go shooting!
-L.

PS - Oh yeah... Target Master on 202 in Delaware County is great, too. Reasonable rates, and lots of classes - but it's a hike!
Old December 21, 2010, 04:25 PM   #13
booker_t

I've also heard good things about Target Master.

See if there is a local Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) that has sessions. That may be your best bet, or check out towards Lancaster.
Old December 25, 2010, 07:49 PM   #14
shrewd

target master is usually the go to weekend shooting escape, at least for indoor shooting. nic eplace, cheap prices and you can shoot your own ammo.
right on.

still, has no one heard anything about hsiusana?