The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 9, 2010, 04:16 PM   #26
Doc Hoy

RC and HC

To RC,

How did you know!? I have run out of joint compound from having to patch up all of the bullet holes behind the TV. (Sometimes I just forget its loaded.)

To HC,

I have a plan. My plan is that I want one of everything I see, until I have one and then I want two.
Old August 9, 2010, 06:27 PM   #27
CajunPowder

(sniff),

But what about all those poor little Remmies? They're gonna get jealous ya know.
Old August 9, 2010, 06:53 PM   #28
Doc Hoy

CP

The Remmies go into the next case. Or maybe if they behave themselves I'll give them some time in this one.
Old August 15, 2010, 12:53 PM   #29
R.O

this is how I display my guns ,no case , just a particele board with green (pooltable)cloth , on the wall in my living room, no nagging from my wife....
oops forgot to mention ,I live alone

Old August 15, 2010, 01:58 PM   #30
Doc Hoy

I have two things to say

1. Welcome to the forum.

2. That is an outstanding wall.
Old August 15, 2010, 02:12 PM   #31
Slowhand

Nice Display RO

Very nice. You have a nice collection and the display is rather well done. Thanks for the glimpse into your litle haven.

I recently became single again and am in the process of renovating my house to reflect my own personal taste in decor. The kids are grown, so now it's just me and a couple of cats. I've come to the conclusion that a maid service is cheaper than a wife, so I'll be keeping it real simple for the immediate future.

I sold the big house a few years back and bought a smaller place, getting ready for retirement. Space is of course a consideration.

I'm a collector from firearms to Roman Charioteers to Welsh Dragons, Egyptian Pharoahs, French Cannons, Knives, Model Airplanes, Korean Chess Sets, Japanese Statues, Greek Vases, and various other things that I encountered during the 24 years I spent in the military and was fortunate enough to wander all over the planet.

I have about a dozen revolvers and pistols and a couple of longe range rifles. Those of course stay in the safes, escept for some non-firing display models and an old Spanish Replica Muzzle Loader Dueling Pistol that an intruder would find hard to load..

So I would simply call myself a collector and leave it at that.

Last edited by Slowhand; August 15, 2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added comments
Old August 15, 2010, 02:33 PM   #32
TheGoldenState

Quote:
I don't make her go shooting with me and she does not make me go to church with her.

Oh...and she leaves my beer alone.
SonuvaBitch, now thats living the dream.
Old August 15, 2010, 03:24 PM   #33
bedbugbilly

Doc - sorry to cause a "stir" when I said the word "hobby" in reference to shooting BP - Now on the serious side . . . . . perhaps we shoot what we do just because it "feels right in our hand"? Like there is an unexplained "familiarity" with the feeling of a Colt or Remington or whatever . . . . sort of like it feels "natural" but we can't explain "why"? Call me a "nut" . . . but I truly believe that we go around more than once but we don't have the capability of realizing that we have had "other lives". How else do you explain the "deja vu" that you sometimes cannot explain? Hobby, pursuit or whatever you call it . . . . it somehow causes a "connection" with something we can't explain. At least that's my theory . . .. . but then again, maybe I'm just nuts!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 15, 2010, 04:45 PM   #34
Doc Hoy

BBB

I think there is something to what you said when it comes to Colt 1860s. 1851s are a little too small but still very natural. Remingtons don't feel quite right because of the trigger. ROAs feel quite good.

I told my wife I need a Second Model Dragoon to see how it feels in my hand. She rapped me with one of my 1860s and asked how that felt on the head. Then she said, Dragoons are heavier aren't they?"

Maybe I should wait for a coupla days.
Old August 15, 2010, 05:13 PM   #35
R.O

Doc thanks for the welcome,slowhand ,thanks the same here I have two great kids, living with my two dogs alone, my life started many ,many moons ago WOW you have a wide variety of intrest in collecting stuff
the almost all first generation colts are my pride and joy but I collect some german WW2 related items too,these can not be seen by visitors ,I don't want to offend any visitor in my house ,or letting them think I have some kind of morbid fascinitation for this era luger and helmet been in the family since the end of the war

Last edited by R.O; August 17, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old August 15, 2010, 07:54 PM   #36
Doc Hoy

I only have two things to say

1. Yeowee!

2. Yeowee!
Old August 15, 2010, 09:26 PM   #37
R.O

Old August 15, 2010, 10:39 PM   #38
Slowhand

Family History

On my mantle I have an old family heirloom.

I’m not jumping any hasty conclusions how the collection came into your family but I understand why you don’t show it to guests.

It's is a nice looking collection though.
Old December 22, 2010, 12:02 PM   #39
BuffaloJack

Pistol display

AWESOME!
Old December 23, 2010, 06:17 AM   #40
madcratebuilder

That's an outstanding job on the case Doc, you should sell those.