The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 12, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1
sthrnfryedyankee

Can someone please help me with milling wind

Is there a equation for wind?

I am about 95% on judging distance with a milling reticle but wind is KILLING me.

lets say (and this is just an example) I have a 12 MPH wind at 2 oclock and the target is 877 yds away how do I know what to dial in on my mil turret? Is there an equation like ranging a target has?
Old December 12, 2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Bud Helms

We need the comepition shooters to help with this.

Off we go ...
Old December 12, 2010, 07:02 PM   #3
4EVERM-14

Calling wind is a real art form. Some shooters seem to have a fifth sense about it. The rest of use mortals tend to break it down. What is the direction? Your 2oclock example would translate to a half value wind. Speed? Gaging speed is another big guess. It's a good idea to guess the speed in the first 100 yards or so. Having speed and direction there are deflection charts are available for known ammunition. Google "wind doping" for more info. The charts are referenced in MOA. Since a mil is about 3.5 MOA a little math can get the mil deflection. Using the example . A .30 cal at 2640fps. at 1000 yards, 12 mph at 2oclock reads about 7 MOW[minutes of wind]. = 2mils?
Don't know if that helps because it is an inabsolute science.
Others jump in with better answers.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old December 12, 2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Ken O

Agree with David above. Most is from experience, I calculate and don't do bad, but sometimes conditions are to me unreadable. Talking about 1000 yard prone iron sight matches here.

There are guys that sense it out when other top shooters are completely off the paper. A couple that I have been squadded with come to mind, Pete Church and Mid Tompkins. The flags will all be pointing in different directions, the mirage doesn't match anything, and these guys will be shooting 10s and Xs. Both are GS (over 70 years old), so their eyes and reflexes aren't what the younger guys have, but they will always be at the top of results sheet. After one particularly crazy fishtail gusty match that I was squadded with Pete, I asked him what he was watching to adjust his sights.

He said he didn't really know or think about it. He looked at all the flags, the mirage and just twisted the knobs.

It is challenging, at one match I had 16 minutes of left on (64 clicks) and the wind let offs were over 5 min, but you wouldn't see 5 min on the flags in that kind of wind, it would take you off the paper.

I'm hoping by time I'm 70 I'll be able to just twist the knobs, LOL. But, I'm mortal, so I'll just be out there trying.
Old December 13, 2010, 04:03 PM   #5
4EVERM-14

Quote:
Ken O
It is challenging, at one match I had 16 minutes of left on (64 clicks) and the wind let offs were over 5 min, but you wouldn't see 5 min on the flags in that kind of wind, it would take you off the paper.
I never thought the sights would go that far. Ever shoot mechanical zero on the next target over?
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old December 13, 2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Ken O

No, I never shot the target over, but I hear its been done.