The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 14, 2010, 10:31 AM   #26
reloader-1

Added the FNP-9, as my gun store is having a blowout on their FN stock.

After further thought - have removed the Glock 19 and the HK P2000SK from my list. (reasons stated after description)

Keep the ideas coming, guys - I am really liking the 3 options that y'all have talked about, and want to know more opinions/thoughts/suggestions.

Last edited by reloader-1; October 14, 2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added removals on first post.
Old October 14, 2010, 10:58 AM   #27
Ace_Breaker

Quote:
so this would fight right in the middle "sweet spot." (similar size as the Walther PPS)
Maybe a typo, but the Glock 19 is compact and Walther PPS sub-compact. They are not similar in size. I've owned both.

When it comes to carry guns I wanted the best I could buy for the money. I've posted a few times about all the guns I've been through to find the right fit of ergos, cost, accuracy, reliability, concealability, durability. It's taken several years of testing, fitting, shooting to come up with my bottom line. I won't detail all the failures with Kahr, Taurus, or why Glocks were too thick, etc.

Sub-compact carry: Walther PPS in .40 with Crossbreed Supertuck or Little Bear custom leather with mag carryier. This gun shares duty in this department with my Hk P7. Nothing compares to the Hk in accuracy, reliability, safety, and cool factor. I like both these guns so they split duty.

Compact carry: Hk P2000 V3 in 9mm, carried in Desantis leather. Maybe the ultimate compact gun. I gave up a modified Glock 19, CZ P-01, Sig P225, and others for this baby. My secondary is the Walther P99AS in 9MM. This may be categorized as a full sized auto but is less than a 1/4" longer than the Hk, weighs about the same, ultra reliable, and has cool factor.

For me, those are the best combinations I've found for concealed carry so far. I do have other guns for different situations but those are primary winter/ summer carry guns.
Old October 14, 2010, 11:17 AM   #28
AustinTX

I can't offer enough superlatives about my PPS. It's just an amazing little pistol. Reliable, well-made, and unbelievably accurate.

The Beretta 92FS definitely deserves serious consideration. The Beretta and the Sig P226 are the two very best full-size, metal-framed service 9mm pistols in existence, in my opinion.

My experiences with the CZ are mixed, so I can't recommend it over other options that you don't yet own.
Old October 14, 2010, 11:32 AM   #29
pgdion

Well if you're filling the 9mm out, the sig226 is notable (don't base it's performance on the Mosquito, the Mosquito is a cool little gun with a bunch of problems, #1 being there isn't enough energy in that .22 to run their design well). A CZ75B is a should have and for me no (mm collection is complete without the Beretta 92FS. For 9mm I also like the SR9 a lot and thos XD-9's are pretty cool too.

You definitely need some metal frames in that collection though, IMHO.
Old October 14, 2010, 11:44 AM   #30
insolentshrew

FNP9s are great guns, if they are having a blowout sale pick one up while you can since you can get it cheap. Save up a little more money and buy another one of the guns from your list, but I would take advantage of the stock clearing while you can. If not for this I would say got with a p226 or the CZ. You already have a decent selection of polymer framed pistols, thats why I say pick up the sig or cz (that is if you don't end up getting the fnp9 which is my vote).
Old October 14, 2010, 12:04 PM   #31
zombieslayer

FN build really high quality firearms, imo. I have a couple of their products, and they are good. I bought an FNAR and its been sweet. The only downside to buying FN stuff is that their CS guy is a total D-bag- Bob Ailes. He's like the grumpy old guy at Century. . The shop near me has some FNP's for cheap and I'm very tempted to pick one up. I don't think I'd consider a gun that size for carry. It'd be a range/hd gun.
Old October 14, 2010, 12:42 PM   #32
reloader-1

Decision Made!

Went to my FLGS during lunch break - told him the FNP-9 at $475 total was tempting, but I liked the Walther PPS.

He made my decision easy by knocking the PPS down to $600, total with tax was $650.

I took it on the spot, and walked out the proud owner of a new Walther PPS

----------------

Secondary question - should I scrounge up money for the FNP-9?
Old October 14, 2010, 02:08 PM   #33
reloader-1

After seeing all the highly positive responses to the CZ 75B - I am adding it to my list of future purchases. This is the current "to buy" list (in order):

FNP-9
Steyr M9-A1
Browning Hi-Power
HK P2000SK
CZ 75B
SIG P226
Old October 14, 2010, 03:57 PM   #34
dawgfvr

Delete post...uh...I see you alaready own and carry a Glock 26.

I recommend you stay with one platform...one type of trigger pull. Stay with Glock.

Last edited by dawgfvr; October 14, 2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old October 14, 2010, 04:42 PM   #35
shortwave

reloader-1,
You may as well add the Beretta 92 to that list also. You won't be sorry.
Old October 14, 2010, 04:45 PM   #36
zombieslayer

Good purchase. My PPS's were $619 apiece a couple years ago. They really are superb carry guns. Wait till you get a couple hundred rounds through it. Give it a nice clean and lube, and enjoy.
Old October 14, 2010, 04:49 PM   #37
Cheapshooter

Beretta 92fs
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 14, 2010, 08:08 PM   #38
wingspar

I wouldn’t compare the P226 to the Mosquito. Two entirely different guns. The Mosquito was designed as a practice gun for the P226. I own a Mosquito, and the jamo-matic stuff you hear on Mosquitos are usually people who don’t follow the manufactures recommendations on which ammo to shoot. I’ve had one jam in a little over 1,000 rounds, and that was an experimentation with different ammo. You may not have been using good ammo. .22's are picky on ammo, and the Mosquito is no exception.

I looked at a P226 a couple of months ago, and loved the way it felt. Felt like a heavier better built Mosquito. Felt great in my hands and familiar at the same time because of my Mosquito, and well balanced. The P226 has a good reputation as being reliable. However, unlike you, I like to diversify in caliber, so no more 9mm for me. Should I actually pick up a P226, it will be .40. Anyway, thought I’d chime in with my 2 cents worth since the P226 is still on your list for later on.
Old October 15, 2010, 02:10 AM   #39
labhound

Beretta 92FS Inox!
Old October 15, 2010, 05:28 AM   #40
Leejack

PT-92!
Old October 15, 2010, 08:33 AM   #41
insolentshrew

if you don't mind a used gun - fnp9s are going cheap used, could probably find one for 300-350 on gunbroker - if you want something new you may want to look at an fnx as well. Same gun, modified ergonomics. Some like the changes some dont, my fnx is going to be my carry piece after I get more rounds through it. If you are looking at possibly carrying the fnp9 you may want to try and find a usg model which has the manual safety.
Old October 15, 2010, 09:41 AM   #42
reloader-1

I am going to update my first post with train-of-thought and final purchase info.

BTW, please keep giving me suggestions - I really do appreciate them.
Old October 15, 2010, 09:54 PM   #43
MilProGuy

Bud's Gun Shop has a fantastic deal on the Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm for $322, and also on the Taurus 24/7 OSS Decocker Safety / Desert Tan / 9mm for $345.

Both guns qualify for free shipping.
Old October 15, 2010, 10:05 PM   #44
geetarman

I like 9mm a lot. I regularly shoot a 5906,G17,Sig P229 and just got a CZ75-SP01.

I have to say after getting the CZ back from the CZ custom shop here in Mesa, I am really impressed with the gun.

There is a target posted on one of the threads of my gun shot at 30 yards free standing and you can cover the five shots with a quarter.

I cannot shoot that good. I asked the armorer about it and he smiled and told me that when you work on a lot of guns, you get to shoot a lot of guns and you can become a pretty fair shot.

I have heard nothing bad about them and am pleased with mine.

Second choice is the P229. More expensive but a really great gun.

Geetarman
Old October 17, 2010, 07:44 PM   #45
reloader-1

Range Report!

I went to the local range today with my new Walther PPS and the HK USP SD.

The Walther PPS is everything everyone here said it would be - accurate, easy to hold, and a dream to shoot. +1000 to everyone on the thread who helped me out, and I'll be back again in a couple months with another 9mm question (re: purchase order of guns....)

The HK USP SD.... well, the gun was reliable, and solid. However, I felt that I was not getting the accuracy that I wanted and expected. Will have to go back again, and shoot only that gun to see what is going on.

Thanks again for all the help!!!!
Old October 17, 2010, 10:03 PM   #46
zombieslayer

Glad you like it, I figured that you would. I was extremely impressed after I first shot mine and its only gotten better. I have a fullsize Walther P99 also. Its got the same mag release as the PPS and has a really nice trigger. If you ever want a big brother for the PPS look no further than the P99.
After you get a few hundred rounds through it, you'll be good to go. Some say the trigger smooths up a bit, but both my PPS's came with great triggers out of the box. They've been accurate with every ammo I've tried, but I've achieved best groups with Winchester PDX Bonded, mine are in .40s&w.
Have fun, be safe, and I'm glad you're pleased with your new PPS and TFL.

Tags
9mm , sig , steyr , walther