The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 15, 2000, 09:31 AM   #1
Jhp147

I had to buy a different fanny pack, my Bianchi small won't allow carry of the Kahr K9 that has become a favorite. I wanted something that looked a little less "gunny", though I suspect that only "gun people" ever notice. I wound up with a Coronado Leather Stealth Pac. I got the light brown leather. It is made of very nice leather, and certainly looks more dressy than the "tactical black" Bianchi. The waist strap is black, more narrow than most types. It might be less comfortable to carry except that the back of the pack has an elastic, snap-type belt loop that allows the pack to be snapped to the trouser belt, taking the weight off of the narrow belt. Very comfortable. When not being used on the belt, it secures the folded up carry strap. The gun is held in a rear compartment that has a velcroed-in holster. Very solid. Rather than a velcro tear away, it has a substantial YKK zipper. It is sort of a trick to set it up to be used quickly, but once you do, it is as quick as velcro, and quieter. As a bonus, the zipper has a small lock built in that allows you to use your pack as a soft-safe if you have to. There are two zippered pockets and a velcro secured pocket on the front. I would prefer only one zippered pocket because the front of the pack has a "busy" appearance, and the pockets are not that big anyway. Inside the slit pocket is an elastic loop that fits a magazine quite well. The only real "con" is that the pack is much heavier than my previous selection, but not enough to discourage me from wearing it. Eight 9mm and a spare mag is more comforting that five .38's and a speedloader when I can carry in a fanny pack rather than ankle carry. Price was about 60 bucks, but you get a nice pack that doesn't have the huge "wings" sticking out from either side and looks much nicer. Got it at a gun show from Donamar Enterprises, 1-800-448-0717, in Edmond OK. They give a 10% police discount.
Old December 16, 2000, 06:18 PM   #2
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Sounds like a nice rig.

Way back I carried, for a while, with a fanny pack and thought it was great. However, as they became more popular I felt too conspicuous. Every time I see a fanny pack now I think: "gun".

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old December 16, 2000, 07:26 PM   #3
Jhp147

fanny pack

Agreed. I usually think "gun," too. Then, I know it's a good guy, CHL or cop. Always happy to be in armed good guy company. I've never seen a "bad guy" carry in a fanny pack or holster, not in 20+ years of seeing bad guys in this neck of the woods. Like I said, I sort of think that gun folks worry more about it than others. It is also not my preferred carry method, but I keep my options open and have never felt too conspicuous, myself.