The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2009, 06:21 PM   #1
sniperinky

Rem 1187

So I've got this 1187 that groups great I mean like .5 MAO at 100 meters with 7 shot and I've been practicing alot and I want a longer tube to put more ammo in. I understand it's a gas operated gun and so far it hasn't needed a refill, but I'm worried I might run out of gas when I might really need it like a home invasion or something. How do I top it off so I never run out of gas? Plus I want to make it my avatar. How do I make my 1187 my avitar.
Old March 26, 2009, 10:43 PM   #2
Coop de Ville

What, exactly, do we feed them?
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old March 26, 2009, 11:05 PM   #3
4thPointofContact

The newest one's can be converted to run on diesel... or even better bio-diesel.
Just go to any fast food restaurant and you can get all the fuel you need for a full weekend of bustin' caps.
Old March 26, 2009, 11:09 PM   #4
publius

How exactly are you getting 1/2 MOA with a shotgun shooting 7 shot at any range? fill 'er up w/hydrogen.
Old March 27, 2009, 03:04 AM   #5
zippy13

In response to a posting by Fortkevin2, about the deference in felt recoil between slugs and bird shot, I opined that #7 shot is fairly rare, and most folks use #7-1/2. Now we know why #7 is used so infrequently: Sniperinky's report on spread with #7 shot explains its limited use -- most folks are looking for a little more pattern development than sniperinky experiences.

Not to worry about your 11-87 running our of gas with an extended magazine tube. The 11-87, like all gas operated auto-loaders, gets it's gas from the shells it fires. Just be careful, and stick to standard ammo. Don't get any ammo marked "gas free" or "reduced gas" even if it's deeply discounted just before hunting season. It's intended for pumps, inertia auto-loaders and break-open guns and will really mess up an 11-87 or other gas gun. Excessive muzzle deposits can result in messy clean-ups. If you're going to be shooting off your gas gun, you need to pay attention to what you feed it; otherwise, you may experience little muffled pops instead of full-power blasts. Also, the "gas free" and "reduced gas" ammo require some special procedures when reloading.

Yep, your 11-87 would make a great avatar, unfortunately this site doesn't support them.

LOL, Pete
Old March 27, 2009, 04:38 PM   #6
sniperinky

Thanks Zippy. What do you mean there is gas in the shells. That sounds dangerous lol.

How do I convert it to boi-desil? Is that dirty and smoggy like a F-350?

Publius, I measure from center of group to center of group for 1/2 mao. Sometimes it's hard to figure out which bb's belong to which group, but I'm getting better.

If 7 shot is so rare, should I keep those and use something else?
Old March 28, 2009, 08:28 AM   #7
sniperinky

I still don't know how to fill it up. Do I have to take the wood off?
Old March 28, 2009, 02:01 PM   #8
zippy13

Oops...
Sorry about the misunderstanding: you're thinking gas is in gasoline not as a state of matter as in the product of flatulent eruption.
Old March 28, 2009, 03:40 PM   #9
scorpion_tyr

Forget about diesel and bio-stuff, configure it to run off of JP-8.
Old June 1, 2010, 01:29 PM   #10
Deerhunter

I know this is old but it is also one of the funniest posts I have seen here.

I have been looking at getting an semi auto shotgun. I was starting to lean toward the Benelli but if the 11-87 can be converted I may have to go back and start looking at it again. haha
Old June 1, 2010, 04:28 PM   #11
namlot1979

okay, i will freely admit i know nothing at all about semi shotguns...but this whole thread seems odd to me...is everybody talking in some sort of code that was explained at a secret meeting i was not privy to? Is that guy serious about putting gasoline into a shotgun? and 1/2 inch grouping?
Old June 1, 2010, 05:30 PM   #12
Deerhunter

namlot1979

I am pretty sure he was serious. Scared me, but I thought it was funny at the same time.
Old June 1, 2010, 07:33 PM   #13
Hank15

I wish I could award you with a gold medal in Trollympics...
Old June 2, 2010, 03:04 PM   #14
armallard

I think its gots one of them c02 nozzles under the recoil pad you'll have to take it off. I've had mine for 19 yrs. it hasn't ran out yet hope it don't.
Old June 2, 2010, 03:58 PM   #15
zippy13

Greetings armallard, and welcome aboard

I don't know about your shotguns, but mine have a hole in the butt pad for access to the gas valve.

Old June 2, 2010, 04:03 PM   #16
zippy13

namlot1979, my friend, see PM
Old June 2, 2010, 05:50 PM   #17
namlot1979

Got it Zippy...Thanks
Old June 8, 2010, 07:41 AM   #18
san_chang4837

I think this person deliberately posted ignorantly. Thanks for bringing this back this was so funny!

Old April 1, 2009, 09:22 AM #146
sniperinky

Listen guys and girls, I'm gonna have to apologize even though I am personally not in the wrong. My little brother had been watching our house while my wife and I were on Spring Break. He told me that he got me into a fix but I thought he was joking. Some people really have a twisted sense of humour. Evidently he thought it would be funny to go around to the forums that I am a member of and post a bunch of bull using my screen name and get a kick out of the reactions.

Listen, I really apologize for his stupidity and hope you all can look past his ignorance and understand what's going on here. The last topic I posted was on March 23 in the reloading section. I was asking a question about reloading a 45-70 for maximum distance. Everything after that is in his words, but using my screen name. He came on the 24th and posted a bunch of crap over on that topic too. I have a mess to clean up!

I don't even own an Mosin, nor can I shoot half as well as he said I could. I wish I could, but that's not realistic. I've never been in the Marines. I might have joined but I am 60% deaf in my left ear due to an accident as a teenager. Again, I am terribly sorry about the troubles and hope all can understand my situation. Hell, now I have to go to Ebay with the same problem. Evidently the Jackass ordered a bunch of wholesale quantity salt shakers and toothbrushes in my name, I'm not gonna buy them! Please look past this as a simple misunderstanding. I hope that this doesn't hinder my ability to post here because I really enjoy these forums from what I have seen of them.

Fish

PS...Brent, let me know when you want me to come and remove that hook from yer cheek.
Old June 9, 2010, 08:58 PM   #19
robthebuilder

I put some 106 octane gas in mine, made it shoot way better.