The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 10, 2010, 07:32 PM   #1
photogadam

Hellcat .380?

Blued

Nickel

Anyone ever here of one of these? P3-AT clone?
Old April 10, 2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Another Keltec copy. This one has Ruger influence.
Why not just buy the real thing?
Old April 10, 2010, 09:03 PM   #3
w_houle

I wonder if their magazine interchange between it and the KelTec or Ruger? Either way it looks it looks like a boat load of meh.
http://www.ioinc.us/our-products?pag...&category_id=1
Now the PPS-43C on the other hand...
Old April 11, 2010, 01:16 AM   #4
michael t

Yes can see the Ruger influence with all the warning junk. Is this going to become a KelTec copy of the week Thing. I have 4 good KelTecs why buy a knock off .
Old April 11, 2010, 01:58 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
QUALITY MADE IN TEH CAROLINAS. The I.O.INC HELLCAT is a compact .380 Auto pistol, blah blah blah
What-ever. The spelling in "teh description" doesn't impress me. Unless "teh" is OK with spellchecks now.

An unknown gun from an unknown manufacturer. We know Kel-Tec can make stuff well. We know Ruger can make stuff well. Both have good customer service reps. Who're these guys?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 11, 2010, 11:38 PM   #6
Chesster

They also make a pink stocked AK clone. Can't be all bad!!!
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old April 11, 2010, 11:57 PM   #7
10-96

Yeah, pretty high Ho-Hum factor.
I'd ruther either go with the Keltec, Ruger, or Grumman F6F Hellcat...

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old April 12, 2010, 08:07 AM   #8
group17

Not to mention its $50.00 more than a LCP.
Old September 19, 2010, 06:00 PM   #9
desirefirst

extras

seems it comes with 2 mags, holster, and zipper rug though; nice on the extras, made in US - but does it shoot ok. might get one just to have one pocket 380
Old September 19, 2010, 08:54 PM   #10
TheAmmoBroker

Hellcat 380 review...

Comprehensive review at:

http://www.gunblast.com/IO-Hellcat.htm
Old September 19, 2010, 09:26 PM   #11
raftman

As others have said, I'd go with either the Ruger or the Kel-Tec that this gun is a copy of. This Hellcat thing won't save you any money, is from a manufacturer without an established reputation for making a weapon of that sort and without an established track record for customer service.

The other thing about such a no-name clone of an already inexpensive pistol, is the resale value is gonna be AWFUL should you decide that it's not the gun for you.
Old September 21, 2010, 10:11 AM   #12
I.O.INC

HELLCAT .380

Hello everyone. I am with I.O.INC the manufacturer of the Hellcat pistols. You might know us as Inter Ordnance. We were importing surplus for more than 14 years. As you might know we were the first ones who imported the M59/66 rifles and unissued P38/1 pistols.
We started making US-made weapons based on the AK platform over 2 years ago. We invested in tooling, CNC machines, etc. We believe in keeping production in the US.
Last year we were asked by one of our distributors to make a .380 pistol.
The result is the Hellcat. True,we are not very well know at this point as a manufacturer of quality handguns. We have manufactured over 4,000 units so far. Everyone who looked at the guns and actually shot them and loved them. The accuracy is excellent for such a short barrel. The pistol is backed by a one-year/1,000-rd. warranty. Each gun comes with a stainless steel magazine (also made in the US. The other companies use Italian magazines), a custom pistol zipper bag, safety flag, trigger lock, etc. See for yourself. Go to your local dealer and ask for a Hellcat. Check us out at www.ioinc.us. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Oh, by the way: Please check out the pistol grip. It is wider and you can control the gun way better than anything on the market. But like I said, go to your dealer and ask to see a Hellcat. The dealer can buy it from any of his favorite distributors. MSRP $249.95 compared to the competition at $349.95!
Old September 21, 2010, 10:49 AM   #13
Skans

Quote:
The dealer can buy it from any of his favorite distributors. MSRP $249.95 compared to the competition at $349.95!
My thought is that competition is a good thing. If it's as good or better than the P3-AT clone - that's great!
Old September 21, 2010, 11:24 AM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Another Keltec copy. This one has Ruger influence.
Why not just buy the real thing?
+1. Plus, Ruger stands behind their product if you have issues. Haven't heard any thing about the Hellcat however.
Old September 21, 2010, 03:15 PM   #15
I.O.INC

Hellcat

We stand behind our products as well. We also offer a 1 year or 1,000 rds warranty. Plus the pistol comes with accessories. For any questions, please visit www.ioinc.us or see your local gun shop. Thanks
Old September 21, 2010, 03:21 PM   #16
I.O.INC

Hellcat Test

Please check out the following test of teh Hellcat. www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PFoIO6DokY.
Thanks
Old September 21, 2010, 03:40 PM   #17
bakon

Looks nice.If it is slightly wider, better grip than the P3at or the LCP then I would consider it. Dont like how they other two slide in my hand when fired with one hand. The Colt Mustang has a slightly wider grip which doesnt move on me.

How is trigger pull compared to others?

My feeling are the LCP and P3at are kind of long. The Kahr is supposed to be nice but never fired that. The Mustang (or Sig) being single action is very small and light trigger pull.
Old November 3, 2010, 09:01 PM   #18
MikeNice81

You know what, I was looking at this pistol untill I just read about the waranty. 1 year or 1,000 rounds is not a comforting waranty. The reason I avoided Ruger was the fact that they have no written waranty.

If Kel Tec and Taurus are willing to put a life time waranty on their work, why can't Ruger or IO?
Old November 3, 2010, 09:44 PM   #19
Dc9Loser

Well I bought a AK-47C from I/O.

It was a beautifully made weapon. Only it would jam every 5 to 10 rounds.

So I called I/O and they were very nice and sent me a post paid return label.

I then received a new AK-47, but it was not the beautifully made one I sent them. It is more roughly finished and when I shot it the trigger would not reset about every 10th shot.

Funny thing about the trigger is that it was not the TAPCO 4Lb trigger that should have been on the gun, it was a bit rough and clearly inferior to the gun I got the first time.

Well, I cleaned the AK up, I'm going to the range one more time, since I have a pile of ammo anyway, and I'm going to give it another try. If it doesn't work I'm sending it back again.

I/O was nice on the phone and did a classy job of sending me a new rifle, but they sent me some old rifle which was not what I purchased in the first place. I assume that it is some left over earlier model or something.

There is a disconnect in the customer service somewhere. The front office is not being supported by the back end guys in the gunsmith department.

I am a little ****** off but hanging in there because I bought hundreds of dollars worth up AK upgrades and ammo which is going to go to waste without an AK.
Old March 31, 2011, 07:45 PM   #20
brew

Should of listened to everyone but...

I bought a Hellcat 380. In the first 50 rounds had 3 jams. I have since shot another 200 with no problems. But, when I keep it in my pocket most of the time the magazine pops out. Even worse with the pocket holster it came with. I switched to a hard wallet holster and then did it 25% of the time. I called tech/warranty and left messages. I then sent emails and never a reply. Everytime I called the company I have yet talked to a live person. Not sure if they are even open. I since have removed the magazine release button and removed .040" and it hasn't released 1 time since then. Either it is a poor design or the hole for the spring is drilled .040" off.
Old April 7, 2011, 09:46 PM   #21
IowaYoungGun

Mixed thoughts thus far!

I just recently purchased a black frame with blued slide Hellcat .380. I got a pretty good deal, so I think, from Royal Tiger Imports... 199.99 with shipping. I was bummed to find out that the Hellcat "no longer" comes with an extra mag, nor does it come with the IWB holster. So I had to pay 19+tax for an extra mag... I wasn't too upset about the lack of holster, it didn't look great anyway. That puts the total investment at $218.98, not bad right?

The range: I bought 4 different types of ball ammo, and 4 types of personal defense ammo to test reliability before I carried it on-duty for backup. My girlfriend and I fired about 24 rounds of the hardball ammo with GREAT results. The gun functioned well with no jams, and was surprisingly accurate from 10 yards!

The Problem: On round #25, it failed to eject the spent casing... upon further inspection I found that the 'reliable extractor', as it states in the manual; snapped in half!

I contacted I.O. INC and spoke with the person who actually assembles these little guys and is sending me 'free of charge' a new extractor for me to install myself.... hopefully its not too hard

I will let you all know how the rest of my Hellcat excursion goes.... Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks, and I'm glad to be a member of TheFiringLine forum.
Old April 8, 2011, 12:14 AM   #22
Mosin44az

Wow, an extractor that snaps in half the first day.

Not exactly Ruger quality.....
Old April 11, 2011, 10:19 AM   #23
dajowi

And how much will cost to replace the extractor if you can't do it yourself?
Old April 11, 2011, 02:48 PM   #24
rdmallory

1000 rounds?

My Kahr P380 doesn't get broke in good until 200.

Doug
Old May 6, 2011, 04:43 AM   #25
thecottonball

I am very interested in this little pistol. Might be worth "teh" money if it shoots