The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2010, 08:47 AM   #1
polska

RCBS made in China

I have heard that the Rock chucker is now made in China and I have seen made in China at the bottom of their tumbler, but does anyone know if their dies are made here or in China?
I notice on their ads they don't print a large MADE IN USA such as Lee and Redding does.I know a lot of people don't care but it matters to me.
I have to admit after using Redding dies I have become spoiled with their quality and now mainly buy them but will buy RCBS for oddball calibers that I only occasionally load.
Old April 7, 2010, 08:53 AM   #2
SatCong

Polska,

I'm currently in heat for an electronic dispenser/scale combo. From reading the reviews of the RCBS unit, I understand it is made in China. This gives me, also, pause.

SatCong
Old April 7, 2010, 09:32 AM   #3
khest

Saw on Shooting USA about a month ago they are supposed made in California still, at least they were showing video of the presses being made by US workers in a factory north of Sacramento.

Khest
Old April 7, 2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Let's not turn this thread into a rant about the shipment of jobs overseas. This is the handloading and reloading forum.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 7, 2010, 10:04 AM   #5
uncyboo

Call RCBS and ask.
Old April 7, 2010, 11:26 AM   #6
William T. Watts

RCBS made in China

If I am forced to purchase RCBS products made in China I'll guess I'll switch to whomever still make their products here in the U.S.A. While I prefer RCBS I can easily make the switch to Redding or Hornady or Forester etc. Yes I do realize much of the powder we burn isn't made here any more, if I have to I would rather buy it from the Aussies than China.. Old enough to remember when made in the U.S.A. was the only choice I had! William
Old April 7, 2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Dillonhelp

At one time about a year ago RCBS did experiment with having iron castings made in China. After a short period of time they discontinued this. My understanding is all of their iron casting is again done in America.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:21 PM   #8
Pathfinder45

This is part of the reason why I prefer older used items that were made here in the USA. Especially if they hearken back to a more golden age. I use an old Lyman Spartan press......works for me. I've gotten to where I pretty much hate buying anything new these days, since there is so little left of American produced goods. I'll clean up an old axe head and mount a fresh handle on it rather than buy a new axe at Home Depot. I buy American ammo because I still can. At the gun shows, I crave the vintage stuff.
Old April 7, 2010, 07:08 PM   #9
rottieman33

Every thing is made in china or Japan even Harley's there just put together here. I got mostly all RCBS loading equipment in the Charge master scale. does made in china bother me no. Last time i called them cause i bent my rode in the sizer die there was a person speaking English CLEARLY. They sent me all new guts and 5 pins. As long as the stand behind there warranty i will be happy with there products.
Old April 7, 2010, 07:26 PM   #10
AlaskaMike

Quote:
At one time about a year ago RCBS did experiment with having iron castings made in China. After a short period of time they discontinued this. My understanding is all of their iron casting is again done in America.
This is correct.
Old April 7, 2010, 07:28 PM   #11
87mustang

if the quality of the product is the same, why does it matter where it's made. and if the quality stays the same while price drops, then that's the goal isn't it????
Old April 7, 2010, 11:35 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

LAST CHANCE

Once again, this thread is NOT about the flight of Americna jobs to other nations, or the production of toasters, cars, textiles, etc., in other nations.

This is the Handloading and Reloading forum.

If your post has disappeared, don't even bother to ask why it's gone away.

There are many other places on the internet where you can decry the flight of American jobs and exhort people to buy American.

That's off topic here in the Handloading and Reloading forum.

Old April 8, 2010, 08:43 AM   #13
mrawesome22

Quote:
I have to admit after using Redding dies I have become spoiled with their quality
If you think think Redding is nice stuff, wait until you try some Forster dies.
Old April 8, 2010, 09:47 AM   #14
riverwalker76

Lee products are still made here in the US. They are all cast right here in the US. That's one of the reasons I like them so much. They are affordable, and comparable to any brand out there.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:20 AM   #15
rodwhaincamo

Oops! Sorry Mike. Replied before I read other posts. Deleted my response as it tore into parts from there as well as well known for toxic materials, and sub sub par quality.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:42 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Rod,

That's fine as long as you address issues related to handloading and reloading.

Gotten some bad press parts made in China? Share.

Gotten some bad toaster parts made in China? Do NOT share.

Old April 8, 2010, 11:56 AM   #17
uncyboo

Both my Rockchuckers were made in the 70's, still going strong, so I'm good...
Old April 8, 2010, 01:38 PM   #18
riverwalker76

Yeah, the Rockchucker outfits from the 70's and 80's were made right here in the US using American Iron. At the end of the Cold War the free trade borders to China opened up, and RCBS found they could charge the same prices for a cheaper product. Now, 90% of the iron/steel and aluminum that goes into our modern presses, dies, components, etc ... is Russian iron/steel and aluminum. It's cheaper for RCBS to have them made in China and ship them here than it would be for them to make them here. That equates to cheaper product and higher profit margin.
Old April 8, 2010, 02:05 PM   #19
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

It is also important to note that RCBS does not make everything they sell with their name on it. Just take some of the old 5-0-5 scales. IIRC, mine says Ohaus on the bottom of it. I like Ohaus a lot, I use their equipment at work, but its still not made by RCBS. I would also be very surprised if they actually made their tumblers.
Old April 8, 2010, 09:09 PM   #20
SVO

I believe Ohaus is owned by Olmark Industries which also owns RCBS/Speer/CCI.
Old April 8, 2010, 09:31 PM   #21
riverwalker76

RCBS/Speer/ CCI are owned by ATK.

Never heard of Olmark.

ATK is a proverbial Halliburton. They have their hands in everything from household cleaning supplies & restaurant equipment to missile defense systems & MILSPEC clothing suppliers. Not to mention the fact that they currently run the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Independence, MO.

Last edited by riverwalker76; April 8, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old April 9, 2010, 07:24 PM   #22
claimbuster

If in doubt, buy a Dillon. We know where they are made.
Old April 9, 2010, 08:11 PM   #23
geetarman

Yeah!!!!

Those puppies are made right here in Phoenix. Great place to shop, great products and phenomenal service. I won't tell you how much I spent the last time I was there. . .