The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Tuzo

Opinions about Rainier bullets

Recently ordered a 500-round box of 230 grain RN Rainier LeadSafe plated bullets in .451 diameter. They will be reloaded for use in my Kimber. So far the Kimber has successfully fired off hollow points and FMJs.

I was on the fence between Rainier and Oregon Trail bullets for the Kimber. I use SWC Oregon Trail in .38 special, .357 mag, .44 special, and .44 mag, and tolerate the lube-derived smoke because the accuracy is quite good. But I wanted to try something a bit different.

The .45 acp reloads will be done with an RCBS carbide die set and finished with a Lee Factroy Taper Crimp die. Any opinions and suggestions about reloading Rainiers?
Old March 4, 2010, 02:43 PM   #2
BigJimP

Just load Rainier bullets to "lead" specs in your manuals ( not jacketed bullet specs ) - like they say on their website.

The coatings on Rainiers are a little thin / and a little inconsistent ... you'll probably find a 4 or 5 grain variation in a handfull of bullets if you weigh them - because their electro plated - not a true jacketed bullet.

I think they're fine for range practice / punching holes in paper ...

I think Berry's plated bullets have a little thicker plating / they seem more consistent ( but you can't load them to full jacketed specs either ).
Old March 4, 2010, 03:24 PM   #3
88KEYS

I load them for my Kimber, they work fine and one of my most accurate loads in my 5” is the 185 SWC Berry. I use the Rainiers in my 50 Beowulf and throw them pretty fast and have never had any problems. The plated bullets work fine, I think to other member had a point the Berry are probably thicker, I use them the most,
Old March 4, 2010, 03:55 PM   #4
gandog56

The Lee Modern Reloading Second Edition is the only manual I have seen that has Copper Plated Bullet recipes. But the only 3 powders they have for that weight/caliber bullet is Accurate #5, #7, and #9
Old March 4, 2010, 04:22 PM   #5
CPTMurdoc30

I have used both Rainer and Laser cast in my Kimber and it will eat them alive.

I use a nice soft load of 5.5gr of Tite group behind a Rainer 200gr RN nice load that is great and cheap for plinking.

You want to load the rainers at lead velocities. I love them and with Midway USA had a 2000 bulk pack of 200gr FP rainers I jumped on them like a cheetah on a baby gazel.

You have to watch your crimp if you are crimping and seating in the same die I have buckled a few of the jackets on them and cause me a bullet or two. Other than that I love them they are cheap and great for practice and plinking.
Old March 4, 2010, 05:01 PM   #6
TheBigO

Quote:
I jumped on them like a cheetah on a baby gazel.
haahaa.... Like a Hobo on a ham sandwich
Old March 4, 2010, 08:11 PM   #7
mnhntr

I have shot the 200gr plated RN in my 1911s and had great success. Just loaded some 200gr plated SWC but have not shot them yet.
Old March 4, 2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I don't care for them. They have pretty thin plating and have tendencies to wrinkle when seating. The best remedy is to flare the mouth of the case a bit more than normal. Unfortunately, it induces extra wear than I like. They're just fine for plinking, but I found buying FMJ bullets from Precision Delta for about the same price.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 4, 2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Tuzo

Good replies

Thanks everyone for the informative replies. I'll check out Precision Delta.
Old March 5, 2010, 12:50 PM   #10
gregjc9

I like the Rainier, but I like Berry's a little better, plus I can order directly from them.

Precision has 230gr for $114 per 1K, Berrys has them for $134.88 Looks like I'll be putting my next order in at Precision.

Greg
Old March 5, 2010, 06:02 PM   #11
Loader9

I use a lot of the Rainier bullets for pistols. According to Rainier Ballistics, they prefer you don't push their bullets past 1200'ps. Considering a 45ACP isn't going to hit that, load as hot as you like as long as it isn't any hotter than any data you find that is acceptable. Here's the Rainier data from Accurate:
http://web.archive.org/web/200505021...loaddataAA.htm

I'm running the 200 gr HP out of my Kimber Raptor at near max using AA5 but I load mine a little longer at 1.250. Might try a near max load and seat them long. Mine shoots well under an inch at 25 yds from bags. The 45 ACP responds exceptionally well to seating depth.
Old March 5, 2010, 07:17 PM   #12
highrolls

I have not tried them in autos yet, but I really like them for revolvers. I find they make a great companion for trail boss and as CPTMurdoc30 said, careful with the crimp.
Old March 27, 2010, 03:10 PM   #13
Tuzo

Fired off 150 rounds of round nose Rainiers yesterday. Not a hitch and reasonably accurate. So far the Kimber has shot almost 500 rounds of mixed FMJ, HP, and Rainier plated (all 230 grains) without problems*. I loaded the Rainiers using the same method as with non-plated bullets - a slight bell and seating with RCBS dies finished with a Lee factory crimp die.

A good bullet for the money.

* Only problem has been shooting with reloaded Korean PMC brass. The brass seems too thin resulting in a wrinkled case below the base of a seated bullet. Tried to feed several of the wrinked cartidges and one failed to feed. But in the interest of safety I discarded all my PMC brass.
Old March 27, 2010, 03:34 PM   #14
bignz

I think they are fine, but so are lead - and lead is cheap, just like me.

Both are accurate - advantage lead because it is cheaper
Both should be loaded to similar velocities - advantage lead because it is cheaper.
Lead might take a bit more time to clean out of the barrel - advantage lead because 1) I enjoy cleaning barrels and 2) lead is cheaper.
Old March 28, 2010, 07:32 AM   #15
alloy

Compared to other handgun bullets I have loaded, Ranier I like the least.
As soon as I use this 500 up that were an uber-bargain(apparently the seller
felt the same), it's back to Powerbond, never to venture into Ranierland again.

I find even with a extra full turn on my expander die, I still have to be extra careful seating them and compared to others...it takes twice as long with twice the rejects. No doubt YMMV. I have figured out that my seater die's profile might not be condusive to the profile on the nose of the Ranier bullet, but it works so well with every other brand I've used that I'm not gonna change it.
Old March 28, 2010, 07:57 AM   #16
bgdv1

i have loaded 250 rounds for my springfield loaded and they worked without any problems. i prefer Berry's thou. the rainiers i find everyonce in a while i will get one thats seats very easily ( bit under size) but hasnt caused any problems. like i said i like the Berry's a little better. i had no problems while loading them.
Old March 28, 2010, 08:25 AM   #17
NCMountain

I shoot them in my .357 and really find they are okay for the money. Mainly a plinking round for me. No issues.