The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 21, 2010, 07:29 PM   #1
b12alex

Buckshot or Slug

When hunting in thick woods with shotgun. should you have buckshot first and then a slug? Or slug fallowed by buckshot?
Old March 21, 2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Deja vu

I like buck shot but I there are people that swear by slugs.
Old March 21, 2010, 08:34 PM   #3
crghss

Don't know any reason to use buckshot then slug. Either all buckshot, all slug or slug then buckshot. Never "buckshot first and then a slug".

Think about it, you'll shoot then target will be moving. Why would you then use a slug for a follow up shot?
Old March 21, 2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Rampant_Colt

Mixing ammunition in the magazine is a bad idea no matter what the scenario
Old March 21, 2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Gbro

Buckshot is not legal for big game here, but If I were to be hunting a Mountain Lion (again lot legal here) Or protecting myself and family I would use buckshot over slug for close quarters, I Think!

When in thick woods, Insert alder's here also, a slug is a much better brush buster than any rifle projectile with the .50 BMG also included. When i say that I am referring to a projectile staying on target after busting brush.
I have seen tests done with many different rifle bullets and every one would tumble producing key-hole's in targets 3 ft beyond pencil size sticks. That Included the 50 BMG.
The shotgun slug was the only one to cut round holes in down range target 3 ft beyond.
Old March 21, 2010, 08:53 PM   #6
bamaranger

Not me

Though many a deer has been laid low with a load of buckshot, it's not for me. I just can't except a long gun that has such a limited range as a buckshot loaded shotgun, say 50 yds AT BEST.

A shotgun with a sighting system other than the std bead, will often group slugs well to 100 yds plus. You mention thick woods, but will handicap yourself in even slightly more open cover w/ buckshot.

Slugs are pretty common deer medicine in some states. Although a wacky argument, I can't imagine a slug hunter opting for buckshot, if given the choice.
Does that make sense?
Old March 22, 2010, 07:13 PM   #7
MHbushmaster

Hunting Deer in NY its illegal to use Buckshot.

Hunting in other states that allow buck, I'd recommend not going with the cheap remchester slugs at Wallyworld and opting for the Federal Flite Control Wads/buckshot loads.

They group tighter than any buck loading I've ever found, and they use copper plated shot (less pellet deformation=better flight profiles=less erratic patterning down range), buffered shot (buffering media helps keep the shot packed tight and aids in keeping the shot from bouncing into one another thus reducing pellet deformation), and the flite control wad holds the shot together well past the muzzle and the flite control wad itself slowly retards once its passed the muzzle and "gently releases" the shot slowly and cleanly.

That said, I'd prefer to use a Slug for Deer. With a slug its either a hit or miss (a hit does not guarantee a good clean kill, its all about shot placement), whereas buck allows the possibility of a one pellet wounding shot; not ethical for game hunting.

I prefer my Buckshot for self defense against 2 legged vermin and for pests such as hogs that are not game animals but invasive species that must be hunted down by any means possible.
Old March 22, 2010, 10:45 PM   #8
bobelk99

About the only time I would mix slug and shot is a backup gun with bear. Then use two 00 followed by slug for dispatch.
Old March 24, 2010, 09:04 AM   #9
crghss

FYI...

When pig hunting in very thick terrain a lot of people use a Slug first then buckshot. Wether the pig is standing in open or you flush it from a hiding spot after you fire the first shot it is moving so buckshot makes sense.

I hunted State land that has HEAVY hunting pressure. As one man put it the pigs can read and write they've been schooled so well. This means walking into the thickest nastiest brush and thicket to get these things to flush. Some times range is less then 10 ft and your partner sees it not you. So you can see how the Slug, buckshot setup would work well.

Granted not many people experience this type of hunting.
Old March 24, 2010, 07:56 PM   #10
retiredcoasty

I hunt in upstate New York and have for about 30 years. Buckshot is illegal and not necessary. Rarely does a well placed slug fail to stop a deer. And if they do run, it is normally not too far.

MHbushmaster, where do you hunt? I hunt on 700 acres in a town called Canisteo which is just outside of the huge city of Hornell.
Old March 24, 2010, 08:48 PM   #11
oneounceload

Thick woods with branches, etc. will deflect anything you shoot. Is your first shot at a standing target or moving one? What have you practiced shooting at?

How proficient are you with your gun?
Old March 24, 2010, 09:03 PM   #12
highvel

I have hunted with both buckshot and slug, however I would never consider mixing them, one requires a choke and the other performs better with little or no choke, and best in a rifled barrel.
Slugs in my rifled barrel and buckshot in my choked.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old March 25, 2010, 01:52 AM   #13
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

And then there are us dinosaurs who don't mess around with shot when hunting deer. Its slugs in smoothbore and sabot or slugs in rifled barrel. I just don't like giving up range and power and if I'm going to miss with the slug it probably would have been a bad hit with shot. I don't like having to shoot anything twice. Shot is for birds and squirrels.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 25, 2010, 03:03 PM   #14
shortwave

Slugs here in Ohio also.
Old March 25, 2010, 08:30 PM   #15
MHbushmaster

Retired Coasty,

I hunt in primarily Rush, NY on private property. I go on an annual group hunt up in the North Country in the Adirondacks up in the Moose River Plains Area via the Limekiln entrance (Off Rt 28 just north of Inlet).

I'm always looking for new places to hunt.

I've just booked a flight to Missouri for Spring Turkey season (mid April). It will be great to meet up with my Dad, younger borther, and quite possibly the last hunt with my Grandfather who is 83.
Old March 25, 2010, 08:48 PM   #16
mony

If you're hunting lion in tall grass, it is my understanding that 00 buck is the first shot followed by slug. The first being to slow him down, as you won't see him coming, and the second to finish him off.
Old March 25, 2010, 08:53 PM   #17
mash vet

brenneke

i hunt with nothing but my 12 gauge and i've shot just about every thing threw it. i like brenneke slugs rolled deer 65 yds away they are what i find to be the most cost affective slug that i've found they go exacly where you want them to. the only reason i would ever want buckshot was if i was shooting from the hip. and i will never take a shot like that. thats just me though i know guys that have taken game that way.