The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 8, 2010, 12:43 PM   #1
AlexI

Installing XS/Clifton scout mount on M48 Mauser?

Hi all,

I am considering this project for my long time "project gun", Yugo M48 Mauser (that is, if I can find time to do any hobby projects).

Currently, I have it in a sporterized original stock, barrel cut down a little, and a scout scope installed on one of the mounts that go on the original rear sight base. This puts the scope way too high for comfort...

I want to cut the barrel down to 17" or so (I know it's too short for this round, but I just like carbines ), and try to install the XS/Clifton scout mount. This is the mount that surrounds the barrel and is fixed with Acraglass, sits as low as possible. See here at the bottom of the page:
http://www.xssights.com/store/scope.html

This means I have to remove the rear sight base. I found instructions for Turkish Mauser here:
http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/mausight/mausight.html
But Yugos are a little different, right? If you ever tried this with M48, please let me know if I should expect any additional problems. Any how-to suggestions will be appreciated!

Also, do you know which size of the XS/Clifton mounts fits M48s? Otherwise, I will just have to buy a dial caliper and measure the barrel as they suggest.

Thank you.
Alex.