The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2010, 01:44 PM   #1
David the Gnome

Replacement Trigger for S&W M&P Series?

I love the looks and feel of the S&W M&P series of handguns but I cannot get over the two-piece broken in half trigger they have. Does anyone make a replacement single-piece trigger that does not have the hinge in the middle?

Old January 12, 2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Old Timer

Yeah, but it wouldn't shoot!
Old January 12, 2010, 03:51 PM   #3
rptrower

The trigger is a two piece design because you have a trigger lock, meaning that you can't fire the gun unless you pull the bottom half of the trigger. It's the only safety on the gun. Try pulling the top half of the trigger, you shouldn't be able to depress it all the way.
Old January 12, 2010, 03:51 PM   #4
gglass

The 2-piece trigger system is one of the safeties incorporated into the design. A 1-piece trigger would certainly be possible (Never heard of one), but you would be MUCH more likely to have a Plaxico moment.

I have five heavily used M&P's (2 for competition) and I have never had a trigger issue, much less even heard of one.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:37 PM   #5
David the Gnome

It isn't an issue of performance. I'm not concerned about the trigger pull, I'm not concerned about it failing, I'm concerned about the fact that I don't like the way the trigger feels.

I didn't think there was an aftermarket solution since my searching hasn't turned anything up but I just thought I would ask and see.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Hog Hunter

I looked for a trigger for my M&P45 right after i got it because i didnt like it at all and i knew it when i bought the gun, figured they would have come out with one by now. After 3000+ rounds i love the trigger on it, maybe i just got uset to it.
Old January 12, 2010, 10:59 PM   #7
45_Shooter

That mushy-feeling two piece trigger is one of my only dislikes of the M&P series. I don't imagine it would be hard to make a single piece trigger function fine although I've never seen them for sale. Probably would sell well to IDPA guys!
Old January 12, 2010, 11:38 PM   #8
YARDDOG(1)

Same trigger as the Sigma But a little lighter pull
Old January 13, 2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Old Timer

Bypassing a safety is always a BAD idea.
Old January 13, 2010, 02:01 PM   #10
David the Gnome

I can't think of a situation where the trigger safety on the M&P would be a plus. When are you going to be in a situation where something is pulling on just the top half of the trigger and not the bottom half?

In any case I don't care about whether or not there is some "safety" built into the trigger, if it has a safety great, if not that's fine too. If there's an aftermarket option that gives it a Glock style trigger safety that would be just fine. All I wanted to know is if anyone makes an aftermarket trigger that doesn't have a hinge in the middle of it. I guess that is too much to ask for though.

For the sake of argument lets assume the M&P in question has a manual safety, negating the need for an extra trigger safety.

Again, this is about the hinge in the middle of the trigger, nothing else.

Allow me to illustrate, the parts circled in blue I like, the parts circled in red I do not like:

Last edited by David the Gnome; January 13, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old January 13, 2010, 02:11 PM   #11
cfiben

maybe your the only one...
Old January 13, 2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Skans

Two piece broken trigger = trigger dingus. Just say "no" to the trigger dingus! I wish I could find a replacement trigger for the Glock trigger dingus system.
Old January 13, 2010, 08:54 PM   #13
Dfariswheel

The bottom line is, no such trigger is available, nor will one be.
Since the hinged trigger is a major safety device, like the lever in the trigger is on the Glock, no manufacturer in his right mind is going to sell a trigger that dispenses with the safety feature.

It might not be too bad to do so on a gun equipped with a manual safety, but since the triggers are the same on both versions, the first thing that some fool would do is install it in a non-manual safety version gun.
Instant lawsuit.

Depending on how good your fabrication skills are, you could try to make your own solid trigger.
Otherwise.... ain't gonna happen.
Old March 24, 2010, 12:17 PM   #14
SuppressingFire

David, I completely agree with you on this.

Way back when I was looking for my first plastic pistol, I wasn't real impressed with the selection on the market at the time. I decided against Glock (even though everyone else seemed to be in love with them) mostly because of the lack of a manual safety, double strike capability, and yes, even the grip angle. However, I've since grown to deal with and actually like most of the new mainstream DAO striker fired pistols (still not in love with Glock's grip angle, though).

In fact, for my next pistol purchase, I was somewhat torn between the XD-M and the M&P. After shooting both, I felt that it would be a long time before I could get used to that funky-ass trigger on the M&P. I'd really hoped that, after all the bad press S&W got from the early Sigma's, their next polymer would have either the Glock-style trigger safety or something other than that hinged set up. Unfortunately for S&W, since that hasn't changed and since there isn't yet an aftermarket "drop in" replacement, I'll be going with an XD-M just as soon as Springfield gets off the pot and releases a .45 ACP version. Not that I consider the Springfield to be a lesser pistol, but the trigger on the S&W is the only issue that kept me from buying it.

I can't help but feel that S&W is really missing out on a lot of sales. My local gun shop is so damn busy lately, that I've walked out of there on more than one occasion because of a ridiculously long line. Considering how many uninformed "newbie" gun buyers I've seen choosing not to buy a good pistol over something trivial or easily fixed like sights, color or magazine capacity, I imagine that there are more than a few who will not buy an M&P strictly because of this unorthodox trigger safety.

Set phasers to "Medium".
Old March 24, 2010, 01:36 PM   #15
MythBuster

"like most of the new mainstream DAO striker fired pistols" Such as?
Old March 24, 2010, 04:19 PM   #16
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
Allow me to illustrate, the parts circled in blue I like, the parts circled in red I do not like
LOL...thanks for making me laugh, that was quite funny

I own 2 M&P's and don't really see much of an issue at all with the trigger...in fact I like the S&W trigger A LOT more than the Glock trigger.

@SuppressingFire

I just want to say I am in no way attacking you or singling you out but what I say may seem that way...please do not take it personal as that is not what I meant to do.

Now...my thoughts of the XD-m...LOVE them..no complaints whatsoever EXCEPT you support Croatia when buying them...no made in the USA not assembled in the USA...IMPORTED into the USA so unfortunately an American is not responsible for any of that...Unlike companies like SIG Sauer who have plants here in America for manufacturing or assembling of firearms in SIG's case Exeter, NH. So even though SIG is not an American company the firearms are at the very least being assembled by Americans. And therefore I don't have an issue buying a SIG or Glock (Smyrna, GA) but I can NOT in good faith send my $ oversees when Americans here are in need of jobs.

Smith & Wesson however well now that's just 100% American right there...I don't care what kind of trigger it has, what size the magazine capacity or Semi Auto or Revolver...if my choice was between American or Import...my decision is American.

Last edited by ReNtaPiG; March 24, 2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old March 26, 2010, 11:11 AM   #17
MythBuster

I will buy the best product for the money spent. I don't care if it is made in America or some third world country no one ever heard of.

S&W no longer makes a product that has the quality of some made outside the US.

Until they make a better gun than my Glock I will keep my Glock.
Old March 26, 2010, 11:13 AM   #18
MythBuster

Also I will not buy a product ANY product where the maker flat out lies about it.

S&W claims the M&P is a DAO. That is a lie 100%. It is as single action as a 1911.
Old March 26, 2010, 11:37 AM   #19
DBAR

APEX TACTICAL.... Google it. I think you'll find what your looking for.

DBAR
Old March 26, 2010, 02:08 PM   #20
David the Gnome

DBAR, I see a sear kit on their website but no single-piece trigger.
Old March 26, 2010, 02:12 PM   #21
DBAR

I thought you referenced the feel of the trigger pull, not the feel of the trigger it's self.

Well, if your talking about the feel of the "2 piece" trigger, and I gather you are.... Then I'm with you on that. I've never liked that part of the M&P either, but they do shoot pretty well.

DBAR
Old July 23, 2011, 02:12 PM   #22
bobgoats

one piece trigger

This thread is old but thought it may be useful to someone like me that ran into it a few times trying to find a solution for the two piece trigger fix on the M&P. On my M&P I have removed the trigger, locked it in the "one piece" position, inserted a pin and dremeled the top of the pin off leaving me with a one piece trigger. I torched the pin until red hot and pushed it in with some pliers. This gun is no longer a carry gun and only used at the range FYI but I have around 800 rounds through it with this mod and it's been great. I would have traded the gun in before dealing with the overly mushy 2 piece trigger any longer.

Last edited by bobgoats; July 23, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old July 23, 2011, 10:46 PM   #23
dyl

"Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit"

From Apex tactical. It's on their website. Whether DBAR knew it or not, that was right! Machined out of aluminum, doesn't look to have any joints in it - looks like it's a one-piece deal.

I'm with you. I've got the 40c and sometimes I wish the trigger wouldn't wiggle laterally as much. And I have a suspicion that part of the sponginess in the trigger feel is due to the small polymer parts giving a bit under tension. Wish someone would make a metal drop-in even if it's the same exact design. Just less mushiness and wiggling please!

Good luck! I always liked that TV show David the Gnome by the way. Can't remember much of it though. I think Maya the Bee and Fraggle Rock were also airing those years.
Old July 24, 2011, 08:06 AM   #24
dsb1829

That APEX kit appears to still use a trigger safety, more of a glock style central dsg though. They do put the caveat "For Competition Use Only" on the site to keep the lawyers at bay