The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 24, 2009, 02:22 AM   #1
mathman

Screw in chokes on defense shotguns...why???

Benelli has screw in chokes on some of their semi automatic defense shotguns...why? I just don't see the point in it. If you are buying an 18" barrel shotgun with rifle sights for shooting slugs and buckshot, what is the purpose of changing the chokes? It seems to me that a fixed cylinder bore would be best for these guns...am I missing something?

To me, simpler is better. A fixed cylinder bore is better since it is easier to clean and there is no choke to come loose when shooting slugs.

Please let me know how you feel on this one.
Old December 24, 2009, 02:35 AM   #2
zippy13

It may be a marketing ploy. For law enforcement shotguns, there's often a minimal constriction, where HD guns are usually cylinder. For close-in shooting, I don't see the difference; but, there may be some folks who want a selection. For them, having the screw-ins may be the deciding factor between the Benelli and another gun.
Old December 24, 2009, 04:34 AM   #3
noyes

20" Mossburg 590 barrel with Accu Choke . Tuneable use for shooting clays, hunting , home defence. Keeps the buck shot pattern tight in case you have to shoot something at a father distance.

Last edited by noyes; December 24, 2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old December 24, 2009, 08:00 AM   #4
earlthegoat2

Since as a general rule, screw in chokes are highly overrated, I can see where having them could be beneficial to the seller or manufacturer.
Old December 24, 2009, 09:29 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Defense situation of one person may be bedroom distance while another may define that as 100 yard walks in the dark to an Alaskan outhouse with hungry grizzly "bars" lookin' for an easy pajama covered meal.

For that I would want MOD choke to help my slug find a sternum to punch or to keep my buck shot pattern a couple pellets strikes tighter...

I see the possible needs of threaded 18 inch barrels...
Brent
Old December 24, 2009, 10:24 AM   #6
jmr40

It makes for a much more versatile gun, and is much cheaper than extra barrels. I have a 20" rifle sighted barrel for my 870 with interchangeable tubes. With a skeet tube I get maximum spread for HD situations. With a modified tube it is a passable bird hunting gun or will keep buckshot in a much tighter pattern at long ranges. With an extra full tube it is my turkey hunting gun. A rifled tube turns it into a 100+ yard slug gun.
Old December 24, 2009, 11:10 AM   #7
noyes

The Box O' Truth #44 - Shotgun Chokes and Buckshot
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot44.htm

The Box O' Truth #45 - Shotgun Chokes and Buckshot Part Two
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot45.htm

#91 - Let's Talk About Buckshot
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu91.htm

#46 - Shotgun Slugs, Sabots, and Smooth Bore Barrels
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm
Old December 24, 2009, 06:36 PM   #8
mathman

Although I appreciate the replies, I disagree. A shotgun with rifle sights by its very nature is a specialized gun for shooting slugs and maybe buckshot. And if you're shooting a distances greater than 25 yards, perhaps a rifle would be better anyway...or at least slugs.

I just don't see the need for the different chokes...I'm just disappointed that they don't at least make it an option to not have the chokes...cuz I don't need 'em.
Old December 24, 2009, 06:39 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Many are available in cylinder bore with out threads for chokes...
Brent
Old December 24, 2009, 06:44 PM   #10
mathman

Yes, you are right...but the Benelli m2 is not...and I love Benelli shotguns.
Old December 24, 2009, 06:56 PM   #11
troy_mclure

easy, they thread all their barrels, then add stuff like sights. much easier for manufacturer.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 24, 2009, 08:04 PM   #12
mathman

But they don't thread all their barrels...the 18" pump models come with fixed cylinder bores...go figure.