The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 1, 2009, 01:12 PM   #1
reloader28

Wyo Hog Hunt

Just kidding. I dont know of any hog hunts in Wyo.
I didn't want to steal a thread so I started this one.
5 or 6 years ago, some buddies and me went pig hunting on a mans private ranch in Twin Falls, Idaho. Has several different animals but we wanted pigs.
Anyway, we (5 of us) got our date and went. Had a blast.
I used my 30/30 with 150's thru the heart and she dropped like rock.
I want to go pig hunting again, but try somewhere else (like Texas maybe)? Not sure where the closest pigs are to NW Wyo, but would like to plan a road trip sometime.
Texas seems to have big problems with pigs, but I'm a bit of a tightwad {teenage daughters (that like to hunt BTW)}. Doe's everyone charge to hunt ranches down there or are they just happy to have you come? I dont have a clue, but have several people asking me cause they want go sometime to.
We dont need lodging, thats what hunting tents and campfires are for. We dont need a guide but a new friend would be fun. I like trial and error and just a little advise.
Is there a license or something we need for Texas? Near as I can tell everywhere else needs a license.
Anywhere closer to me that is over-run? (besides the neighbors corral ).Surely there's pigs closer than Texas. I dont know where the "pig boundary" is. Anything East or West?
I'd like to bring a couple home, but is there a butcher that takes pigs for the needy? Seems like Texas should have something like that. We just love to hunt, so if we could shoot, say 10 (is that even possible?), would somewhere take the extras? We have a place here but I dont want to haul them all the way back.
I know how to hunt, but I'm not an experienced pig hunter, but I had fun the time I went.
I'm sorry, I know these questions have been here before but thats alot of digging and I'm still learning the computer. I just want to know my options.

Thank you all for any input you might have
Old December 1, 2009, 01:22 PM   #2
davlandrum

Buddy and I did a Texas trip a couple of years ago. Here are my lessons learned:

1) you will need to buy a license and small game tag, if I recall correctly, but it was cheap.
2) if you are going with an outfitter, make very sure what their website says is what you are really going to get. While the website may say 10,000 acres under lease, you may be limited to a 300 acre section with 10 other hunters.
3) There used to be a number of "per gun/per day" opportunities available that were pretty reasonable ($50 back several years ago). If you did something like that, they might let you camp there as well.
4) The set up we hunted had little hogs. Biggest killed in 3 days was around 100 pds. Not the monsters we had been led to expect...

When we decide to go after hogs again, it will be in California.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 1, 2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Scorch

Quote:
Not sure where the closest pigs are to NW Wyo
Well, I spent the night in Rawlins many years ago . . . Oh, never mind.

Your best bet for hunting wild pigs (not the released pigs you shot in Idaho) would be Northern CA, Texas, or just about any of the Southern states. Tennessee, Mississippi, N & S Carolina, Virginia, Missouri, Arkansas all have many outfitters and lodges that advertise in the outdoors magazines (Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, etc). Just take your pick and get goin' on it!
Old December 1, 2009, 06:10 PM   #4
elkman06

Not so fast to travel so far Reloader,, I understand there are hog hunts in the Grand Junction Colorado area..Now if I can just remember the name of the ranch. That general area has private game farms. I remember seeing a elk ranch near Montrose also.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old December 1, 2009, 07:21 PM   #5
cornbush

RELOADER......... Was this the place just outside Shoshone?
Old December 2, 2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Big Bill

I lived in Twin Falls for 10 years and never heard of any hog hunts there or in Shoshone either. Did some farmer just open the gate to the hog pen and then let you hunt his pigs? Sounds like a deal to me. How much did it cost?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old December 2, 2009, 01:00 AM   #7
Fat White Boy

The Central Coast of California has very good hog hunting. The outfitter I use charges $575.00 for a weekend hunt on one of 3 private ranches around King City. We have had a 100% success rate for our hunts. My son and I took two meat hogs around 125 pounds in June of this year. One of the guys got one at 250-275 pounds with 4 inch tusks. They use dogs, 4X4 p/ups and Quad runners. Nothing like riding in the back of a 4X4 with rifles and yelping dogs at 60mph for kicks.

I think they do charge an extra $100 for a trophy. You can camp on the ranches but they are dry. We stayed in town at a motel. Email me if you want more info...Plus the scenery is beautiful. You will need a Non-resident license and pig tag. No limit on them at this time...
Old December 2, 2009, 01:59 AM   #8
reloader28

Cornbush...
Ya it was. Forgot his name. Shoshone European Wild Boar Hunt I think. 400 or 500 aceres and alot of Russian boars. Can sniper one off if you want, but we camo'd up and did spot and stalk. Stayed hid and had some about 10' from us.
Had a blast. If you dont get one, its your own fault.

Big Bill...
Said he's been going about 15 years or so if I remember right. He ran some tourist cave I cant remember the name of.

When we went it cost $350 a pig, but I think it went up a little now.
He has Fallow deer,pigs and 4 different kinds of sheep.
I would go back again, but would also like to try somewhere different. Been there done that.
Old December 2, 2009, 02:42 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am in the florida panhandle. You can come hunt here but no guarantees like a hunt ranch can offer as these hogs are free range wild pigs. Not much hunting until mid feb when deer season is over.
No license required.
Brent
Old December 2, 2009, 03:36 AM   #10
bamaranger

what about this

Dang gosh craziest hog huntin' I have ever seen are the video's on YOuTube titled "hog wars" where they bang away from a helo. Man, that could be a great retirement gift.

I am hunting hogs on public land and having a heck of a time catching up to 'em. Stalking. NO big numbers, but the WMA's in the area have a few and the managers are trying hard not to let them get out of hand. Had no idea they ranged as much as they do.
Old December 2, 2009, 06:56 PM   #11
cornbush

Went out and looked the place over once, bored after work out of town. Looked like some good sized boars. I think the cave was Mamoth cave but not sure. If I remember it was like 350- 400 bucks.
Old December 3, 2009, 02:01 AM   #12
Mike U.

I hear Arkansas has plenty of Razorbacks.
Old December 4, 2009, 12:22 AM   #13
reloader28

Thanks for the input guys. Got busy and didn't get back right away. I always like to hear the out-put from everyone here.

Last edited by reloader28; December 4, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old December 4, 2009, 08:20 AM   #14
FALshootist

In Florida there is a season and you do need a license if you are hunting in the State wildlife management areas.

If you are on private property there is no season, limit or need of a license. However, The last hunt I went on each pig cost at least $175 per pig, even if you just drew blood. The guy running the place was of little help with no dogs in finding a hit pig even with a good blood trail and to make matters worse would only let you stay at the stand and not track the pig. Something about hunter safety and the coyotes have to eat too.

Needless to say I'm not going back. Just waiting till the pig population gets big enough and does enough damage that these guys will let you shoot them for free or better yet solicit hunters to rid them of these destructive but tasty nusances.
Old December 4, 2009, 08:34 AM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

FAL, I am the exception to the rule I don'y charge as I am not a pro guide. I just like tp try to help folks get a try at it. I really made my offer years back only to let someone get a chance to see what it is like to run dogs on a fairly dangerous animal. I have let a couple guys try a rifle hunt but it is quite a futile game of chance in the real free ranged non-baited world. After I have rebuilt my hunting pack, I will be modifying my offer to just dog hunts whether the person/s wants to kill the pig with knife or live catch will be the only option.

Too little reward/labor ratio for the gun hunt. Yeah you need to be able to move faster behind dogs and get tired, hot, wet, muddy and scratched up from briars but.. MAN WHAT A RUSH!!!
Brent
Old December 4, 2009, 12:30 PM   #16
reloader28

Sounds like my kind of hunt Brent!
Problem is, Florida is almost a continent away. I'll have to save my pennies for a while to get there.
Keep one tied up for me. Sounds fun.
Old December 4, 2009, 04:31 PM   #17
FALshootist

Hogdogs, what kind of dogs do you use. I'm looking for a good breeder of Black mouth curs (a catahoula or redbone wound also be fine).

I've already had one heart attack, so the knife hunt is out for me, but I would gladly use a hand gun up close in a caliber (38 special or 44 special) so the dogs (and guide) don't end up with hearing damage ( or worse shot during their fight with the hog.

I'm down in Miami so I might as well be on the other side of the world, But if you can lead me to a goood breeder I sure would apprieciate it.

Thanks.
Old December 4, 2009, 04:54 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Redbone for hogs is usually an exercise in futility. Open mouth dogs just run hogs for the most part and RB's are usually not gritty enuff to hold a sure enuff hog at bay.

I like the BMC very well as well as the many other "curr" dogs. Catahoula and cat crosses work well too. Add a bit of pit and bird dog to a decent curr line and increase both nose and grit
Brent
Old December 4, 2009, 04:57 PM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I don't know of any breeder/sellers... For the most part, folks with decent hog dogs make a breeding to replace dogs in their pack and offer the excess to other hunters. I will ask around some of my SFL buddies see what is out there currently or near future.
Brent