The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Mobius38

Barretta 686 Onyx OU Question

I have a Barretta 686 Onyx 12ga OU and I have a question. The shotgun has a barrel selector, if I select the first or second barrel in order to shoot from the other barrel I need to move the selector to that barrel. Does that sound right? Is there a way to fix this so that if I shoot from the second barrel (top) then I can follow-up my second shot from barrel one (bottom). Also it came from Barretta in a blue case where I can seperate the shotgun into two pieces. Any ideas if I shoudl store it that way in this case or if it is better to store it as one piece in my safe.
Old September 16, 2009, 01:57 PM   #2
PackingDDS

With the safety on, you can slide the selector left or right to choose which barrel fires first. If you take two shots in a row, the second barrel will fire. If you take 1 shot and break open the gun, only the fired hull will eject. Replace and close and the same barrel will fire first the next time you shoot. Barrel selection is generaly determined by your choke. You normally want to shoot your more open choke first and the tighter choke second. I would store in 1 piece because the beretta cases aren't all that padded
Old September 16, 2009, 01:58 PM   #3
oneounceload

The barrel selector lets you choose which barrel will fire first. You do NOT have to then move it to fire the second barrel. The recoil from the first shot will set the trigger to fire the second shot. Browning, and most other O/U's work the same way. It will stay that way until you switch the lever back.

Personally, I like to fire the bottom barrel first. The recoil is more directly backwards, thus (supposedly) reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise.

Store it in your safe - it will be less likely to get stolen that way
Old September 16, 2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Mobius38

See thats the thing. I load both barrels. Fire the first shot, then pull the trigger for my selcond and I get nothing. I need to the select the unfired barrel with the selector and that then fires. Does that sound right? In regards to the case. Should I then use it to transport the OU to the range or should I just toss it out.
Old September 16, 2009, 02:11 PM   #5
oneounceload

Use the case for transport.

And no, that isn't right, unless you're subconsciously pushing the safety on when you fire the first shot. The recoil sets the trigger/sear for the second shot. Have you tried firing it with the lower barrel first? If so, does it fire the second shot without moving the selector?
Old September 16, 2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

How many rounds do you have through that Beretta?

Newer ones with light loads sometimes do not reset the trigger for the second shot.

Mine was like that. It's gotten better over time.
Old September 16, 2009, 07:31 PM   #7
mwar410

I had a similiar problem with a 682, it was NIB. the barrel selector can easily be moved when handling the gun, it doesn't need to move much. I only shoot the bottom barrel first, so I had it drilled and tapped for a set screw.