The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 3, 2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Calfed

New Eddystone

Recently got this Eddystone at an on-line estate sale. It seems to be in excellent condition. Barrel is marked "E", with the flaming bomb and dated 6-18. Bore gauges just under "1" on the CMP gauge and the metal and wood are in great shape.

Stock appears to have been refinished. Where the manufacturer identification is usually located at the tip ("E","W", or"R") is the number 4.

As a bonus, came with a cleaning kit in the butt trap.

Old August 4, 2009, 03:40 PM   #2
ksstargazer

Very nice. If it shoots like mine, you will really enjoy this rifle. I got a deer with mine two years ago at 150 yards. I hit the deer exactly where I aimed. I really love the sights on this rifle.
Old August 4, 2009, 03:59 PM   #3
BersaFan

That is an absolutely Beautiful weapon. I have only seen one other with that nice of a rifle stock.

How much did you have to lay out for it.

Thomas Jefferson
Old August 4, 2009, 05:10 PM   #4
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I hate you. I hate you so much. But seriously, that is a gorgeous, gorgeous gun.
Old August 8, 2009, 03:32 PM   #5
firemannw

Nice looking rifle, mines not quite that sweet.
Old August 8, 2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Calfed

Here is a pic of the "4" on the tip of the stock. I'm really interested in finding out what the significance, if any, of the "4" is.

And a pic of a target that I shot . Federal Powershok 180 grainers @ 100 yards.

Eh..not that bad, but I have rifles that do better. I probably need to experiment with some other ammo, although most of my other 1917's seem to do well with the heavier bullets
Old August 8, 2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Winchester_73

Great rifle. Another + about it is that its the rarest P1917 maker of winchester, remington and eddystone. It seems like winchesters are more sought after however. Congrats on your rifle.
Old August 10, 2009, 09:14 PM   #8
Ruger4570

My first real gun was an Eddystone given to me by my Grandfather. I know he got it through the mail and I believe he paid $25 or $29.00 for it. Those days are sure gone.
Old August 10, 2009, 10:12 PM   #9
Winchester_73

Quote:
As a bonus, came with a cleaning kit in the butt trap.
I just looked at the pics again, and not to rain on your parade, but thats not the correct oiler. The oiler pictured would be from a late WWII or Korean era gun such as a M1 garand. Any pre WWII guns would have a nickel plated metal oiler. They cost about $30 right now. The one you have is worth about $15 or so.
Old August 10, 2009, 10:57 PM   #10
Calfed

Quote:
I just looked at the pics again, and not to rain on your parade, but thats not the correct oiler
Really not an issue. I got the rifle for a very nice price and finding it in the butt trap was merely a bonus.
Old August 11, 2009, 12:39 AM   #11
csmsss

Sweet find. I'd love to have a M1917 in more or less impeccable condition like yours, regardless of maker.
Old August 16, 2009, 04:45 PM   #12
finfanatic

Watch CMP

If you want an "Enfield" M1917, watch CMP. They have Service Grades on sale for $500 right now. Although I see this at the top of the page "** Not available through mail order. Counter purchases only at the Camp Perry & Anniston CMP stores when available** "

I ordered one they had listed as a rack grade last year, and got this.

I was expecting an Eddystone, and surprise surprise, when I opened up the box, it was a Winchester!

It shoots great. Very accurate if I can get my aging eyes to cooperate.

I called CMP and talked to one of the "gun" guys up there and asked if the rack grade M1917 was a shooter or a wall hanger. I wanted a shooter and he said it was a functional rifle. I took a chance for $400 and got rewarded I think.

I waited too long on the M1903s CMP had for sale, but I was told they should have some in February 2010 I think. I plan on ordering one as soon as they post them on the webpage.
Old August 30, 2009, 08:20 PM   #13
tackdriver

That is gorgeous. I have been hunting for a nice 1917 for more than a year now. The stuff the CMP has been selling for a few years now are all ceremony guns. Sure, they shoot, but they are eaten up.
I got excited last year when the local shop called and pulled a beautiful rifle from behind the counter. Turned out, it was a British P14.