The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 14, 2009, 04:03 PM   #1
gunner4391

Semi auto

Although I've never been hunting, I love shooting clays (and I plan on using my skills for quail and pheasent ). I have a remington 870 express 12 gauge, but I want to get a semi gun. I can't get it right now but its at the top of my list, so what is a good semi that I can get for 350 or less (please don't go much over 350). Also, if theres a lot of good used semi's for around that price I'd like to know which ones to look for
Old August 14, 2009, 04:11 PM   #2
BigJimP

$ 350 is a tight budget for a semi-auto / but I would suggest looking for a used Remington 1100 or a Beretta 390 series. Ask around at the gun clubs in your area / someone is always selling a gun / or a good shop in your area selling good used guns - you'll quickly get a feel for price trends in your area.

My personal semi-auto of choice is Benelli - they're out of your price range - unless you find a heck of a deal. My semi-auto of choice is the Benelli Super Sport - I think its a great all around gun for clays and hunting birds.

There isn't anything wrong with shooting your pump gun for clays too .... I shot Trap, etc for years with a Browning BPS.
Old August 14, 2009, 04:13 PM   #3
oneounceload

Quote:
I love shooting clays .......so what is a good semi that I can get for 350 or less
Therein lies the problem.....while there are some cheap semi's that will work for some bird hunting, if you want to throw clays into the mix, IMO, your budget needs to double - for a decent used gun. Even better, triple it for something like a Beretta. The Remington 1100 used can be had for about 500 or so, and while good for clays is heavy to tote hunting.

Use your pump for the time being, save your nickels and dimes, and get something that will be reliable and handle what you want it to do.......
Old August 14, 2009, 04:35 PM   #4
greyson97

yeah. i think the cheapest semi i would consider buying was a 499 stoeger off of buds. Its very hard to find a cheap semi that will reliably eat everything. Get a benelli, and it will be the last shotgun you ever buy

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old August 14, 2009, 04:55 PM   #5
inSight-NEO

A bit unrealistic for a SA shotgun (of any real quality), IMHO.

You might find a used 930 (Mossberg) within your listed range, but the seller would have to be desperate I imagine.

Personally, I would up the price range to $450-$500 minimum. This would be a bit more realistic (but still stretching it a bit). Much less than that and we are now talking about pump shotguns, I believe.

Now, the Benelli semi-autos are very nice, but very expensive. Good luck finding a nice used model below $700 or so. If you want a semi-auto, the 930 might be your best bet (used) as these things go for roughly $650 brand new.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; August 14, 2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old August 14, 2009, 05:43 PM   #6
a7mmnut

I also say Stoeger 2000, but you'll be lucky if you can find one for less than $400. A beat up 1100 is probably more than $350, too, and an 11-87 will be $450. I hate to say it, but you might find a Winchester 1400 for $300. I would want to function test it before taking it out of the store. Some ran lick slick glass, the rest broke like glass. The Charles Daly has an "o" ring seal that eventually wears out, but you will probably see those for $350 also.

Personally, I would stick to the used rack. I once bought a vintage '50's Browning A5 that had no safety for $300. I ordered the whole safety bolt, springs, detent and all for $12.99 plus shipping. Working good as new, I then sold it for $450 before the next turkey season opened. Parts are still cheap-keep that in mind while you're looking.

-7-
Old August 15, 2009, 03:32 AM   #7
zippy13

As Dirty Harry said, "Are you feeling lucky?"
A friend of mine keeps his eyes open and picks-up used 1100s very inexpensively. He gets his best deals from folks who's guns are so dirty they don't shoot properly or won't cycle because the gas rings are installed incorrectly or the O-ring worn out. Some folks would sell off an 1100 because they didn't know about cleaning out the gas port from time to time. They are happy to get what ever they could for their "broken" guns. A good cleaning and correct re-assembly and perhaps a new O-ring and the guns shoot like new. You might be able to snag a very nice autoloader, well within your budget, in a similar situation.

Good luck!
Old August 15, 2009, 04:36 AM   #8
bswiv

While I know there are a number of reasons to use a semi-auto, softer recoil being at the top of the list, fact is that the pump, with not much practice, will function just as fast. And the action of returning it to battery actually tends to pull the gun back down from recoil for the second shot.

As susggested, shoot what you've got for a while and save up for a nicer S-A. You'll be happier in the end.
Old August 15, 2009, 05:54 AM   #9
LanceOregon

A CZ Model 712 shotgun is the only semiauto near that price that I could recommend. It is actually quite a decent shotgun, with a chromed action and chrome lined bore even.

Here is a dealer that has one for sale at a very good price:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=136839810

And here is a photo of the gun:

-
Old August 15, 2009, 09:19 PM   #10
Smitty in CT

Dick's Sporting Goods has a camo Mossberg 935 on sale right now for $379...

As long as you don't need to shoot 1 oz loads you'll be OK...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton