The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 16, 2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Texpass

Smith & Wesson CS 40 Review

After doing considerable homework and asking questions on this and other websites, I decided to get not one but two S&W CS-40’s my LGS had on hand. One is stainless that has all of the sharp corners buffed off of it. This thing is as slick as a greased pig and not bad looking. The other is black and shows some holster wear. Interesting thing is these have been carried a bunch but not shot very much. I cleaned them up, what there was of it, went to the range late yesterday evening before sundown and put a few dozen rounds down range. I know a lot of you guys have CS-9’s and CS45’s but you really need to add a CS-40 to the collection. They are both accurate at 25 yards, didn’t have a shorter range to shoot on. The Winchester Ranger 155 grain were right on the button where the Blazer Brass were a hair low and the Remington Golden Saber were right on target with the Rangers. The triggers do have a very-very slight travel in double action and a tad in single action but nothing I can’t adjust too. No big deal there. There is some recoil for sure, about the same amount as my Colt New Agent has. The only fault I could find was that I couldn’t use any holsters I have, so it’s off to the holster factory. I am sure I would love the CS 9 or CS 45 if I could find one at a reasonable price. These S&W CS 40’s were just what I was looking for…firepower in a relatively small metal package. I wouldn’t call these pocket guns, but they are very concealable. They hold 7 rounds in the magazine and one in the pipe. I would not feel under gunned by any stretch of the imagination. So if you like firepower in a relatively smaller metal package I would certainly suggest you go on a hunt for a CS40.