The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 31, 2009, 12:21 PM   #1
old fart

which powder & bullets??

i have a cva optima 50 caliber muzzleloader, i would like to know what might be the best powder and bullets to use in it. i used triple 7 last year with t.c. mag sabots, i did not like the 777 it left the crud ring so bad i could'nt load a second shot. i would like to be able to load and fire at least 3 shots before swabbing, cause if i miss my first shot i can continue to hunt and not have to go home to swab my barrel out. thanks for any help.
Old May 31, 2009, 12:50 PM   #2
FrontierGander

its expensive and hard to find but Blackhorn209 would be the powder to get if you dont want to swab.

My optima really loved the 348gr powerbelt with 90gr pyrodex P and 777 primer. Give the barrel a few minutes to cool down between shots and you could cover a 3 shot group @ 100 yards with a dime.
Old May 31, 2009, 01:09 PM   #3
simonkenton

Blackhorn 209.

Why not try a classic bullet, the Hornady 250 SST, same thing as TC Shockwave, Shockwave has a yellow tip.
I have killed 2 deer with the 250 SST, it hits like the Hammer of Thor.
Old May 31, 2009, 02:17 PM   #4
arcticap

I've seen the Blackhorn on the shelf at Cabela's for ~37 for a fluffy 10 ozs., whereas they sell American Pioneer Powder for ~$14 a pound.
I only buy APP fffg because I don't shoot with 209 primers, but it's not always in stock as often as the APP ffg and Shockey's Gold ffg is.
With APP, I don't know if you'll be able to load a second shot without swabbing or not, but it doesn't leave a crud ring.
Maybe you can use an easier loading Powerbelt, bare conical bullet or an easier loading sabot for follow up shots.
MMP's 3petal-EZ is their smallest diameter sabot for the easiest loading:

http://www.mmpsabots.com/

Are you using loose 777 or pellets?
The Winchester 777 209 primers are designed to lessen the crud ring because they're not as hot.

The Blackhorn 209 powder can be found here under "Accurate Arms Powders" for $26.65. They also carry the Hodgdon 777 & Pyrodex powders at reduced prices along with the Winchester 777 209 primers too:

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html

Last edited by arcticap; May 31, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Hawg

I don't do inlines but I use loose Pyrodex in all my rifles and I can shoot countless rounds without swabbing. Course that is using either a patched round ball or a well lubed lead conical.