The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 17, 2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Rugerno1shooter

WTB Ruger No 1 action/barreled action

I am currently interested in a Ruger No. 1 action. I need one that is either a 1-S or a Tropical (the medium sporter or a full fledged tropical). It can be a barreled action or simply just an action.

Please email me at
[email protected]

Thanks
Pat
Old April 18, 2009, 12:42 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Ruger doesn't sell actions. Not many major manufacturers do. Most shooters who are looking at building a rifle will buy a new or used rifle just for the action. Savage makes a hinged floor plate magnum action. $481 MSRP.
Not a single shot.
Old April 18, 2009, 03:15 AM   #3
steveno

at one time Brownell's sold the barrelled actions. I'm not sure if they still do. check their website
Old April 18, 2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Rugerno1shooter

Yea, I was hoping that someone still had one of those lying around in the 416 rigby that they had decided not to use. I'd take full rifles as well.
Old April 18, 2009, 10:41 PM   #5
paul salchow

ruger #1.

Ruger used to sell them this way but when they went to POS(point of sale) they let them run out.
Dakota still sells barreled actions but they are not cheap, worth it but not cheap.
Most major makers will sell there actions if they have them to sell, when there made overseas it get tough but there are some great CZ 550 actions, not single shot but built for .416.
There was a company making single shot falling block actions, for the life of me i can't remember there name but i will look around here, i have one of there catalogs.
The #1 is good to build on, there are some aftermarket parts and custom work for these to make them a side lever, works better when bench rest shooting.
Old April 18, 2009, 10:50 PM   #6
bcarver

ruger no 1

There was a ruger no 1 at the local gun shop. 416 rigby dirt cheap as I remember. I'll look wensday or thursday and pm you with price.
Old April 19, 2009, 08:04 AM   #7
fisherman66

Quote:
The #1 is good to build on, there are some aftermarket parts and custom work for these to make them a side lever, works better when bench rest shooting.
I have only seen one of the Ruger side levers, and it was based on a #3. It resided on my desktop background for months. Please post a link to the aftermarket parts or custom work providers. I know of a dozen folks who would be interested in at least learning about it and probably a couple who would do the conversion.
Old April 21, 2009, 09:51 PM   #8
srtrax

Hey Fish, been awhile...If ya want to see another three / side lever Rugers I would get Steven Dodd Hughes book. (Custom Rifles in black and white)
All three (actions) where built by John Madole and not from a kit but from scratch, and there is not much left in the way of being a Ruger left!
Old April 22, 2009, 07:54 AM   #9
fisherman66

Hey Steve! How are ya? Yeah, I doubt there's a quick and easy way to convert the Ruger falling block to a side lever. I've seen the good Doc with his zebra and the side lever #3. Stunning rifle.

How's the shop coming? Once you get up and running I may send some work your way...relatively simple stuff like reduce LOP, install a pad that's a little softer than that Goodyear Ruger staples to their #1. I'm even thinking about having the butt bored out to shift the weight forward. I know turning a #1 into a lightweight is a loosing battle, but with a hollow butt and a 6oz scope in light weight rings I bet I can keep her under 8#. Not bad fer having a big ole hunk of steel in the middle.

How's the 6.5x55 and '94 coming? Throw a couple picts up when you get a moment. That Luxus wood will floor sum jaws around here.
Old April 22, 2009, 06:36 PM   #10
srtrax

The Shop, well lets just say its getting there... All machines are up and running, and now I'm in the process of building jigs for the custom work that is in front of the projects I have.
The 6.5x55 and the 94 / Well
I've added two Mauser 98s and fell in love with a little Mexican...
Wait a minute, I know what your thinking but its a Small Ring Mexican Mauser, built an intergral barrel for it. When I get a few more things done I'll post some pictures. But for the fun of it here is a look at the 94 luxus

[img]win.30.30 009.jpg[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg win.30.30 009.jpg (40.5 KB, 868 views)
Old April 22, 2009, 10:56 PM   #11
fisherman66

Just so the click weary don't have to open the attachment.....

Gawd that's gonna be pretty with sum oil on it. It has really mellowed with age. I still have that chunk of walnut that's almost as marblecake as that one, but it's a couple inches shy of an adult LOP. Maybe a big fat recoil pad would make it fit on a #3.....probably still to short.