The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 21, 2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Stevie-Ray

First Range Trip in 6 Months

Like the title says, today was trip number one in the last 6 months, due to my wife's broken leg. I'd been itching to fire my Christmas present, a Glock 29, since November. Today was pretty much devoted to that. Everything was shot at 7 yds. Wow, talk about a wake-up call. I haven't shot 10mm for years, and always my Delta Elite. I didn't do too bad, first shot was an inch low and an inch left. I got better and worse, depending on load. 2 PMC loads, a 170 gr HP and a 200 gr solid, and Winchester's Silver Tips. And I'm going to have to put in a call to Double Tap, since nobody seems to have 10mm anymore during this present panic. Most accurate in this gun was PMC's 200 gr solids. Absolutely lovely. After firing about 80 rounds mixed, I decided to shoot my CW, something I usually do right away, and it was a big mistake not to this time. After firing all that 10mm, the mag of carry ammo, 230 gr HydraShoks, went into a group of 2 and a quarter inches, that is if I don't count a flyer that opened it up to 4 and a half. Usually, I can put this as a first mag into a tad over an inch. But then I'm usually not 6 months in arrears on range time, either. I also tried the new 230 gr HST +Ps in the Kimber Ultra. They don't seem to be quite as accurate as the HydraShoks, so they'll take some getting used to. This could also be the effect of the 10mm beforehand, I guess. Definitely don't want to shoot anything other than my carry ammo first, during any range trip, which tells me how accurate I can POSSIBLY be in a given situation, and I won't make that mistake again. Didn't get to shoot the BUG, but I don't shoot that at every range trip anyways. Already looking forward to next time and I'll be sure to give the P32 a workout. No failures of any kind, other than my semi-crappy shooting.