The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 18, 2009, 08:42 PM   #26
Socrates

IIRC, Kali law was they are illegal, unless you are a martial artist, practicing inside a dojo, or some such garbage. At one point you might have had to qualify as some sort of expert, i.e. black belt to have them.

I enjoyed them, and we bought all kinds of trick ones. My favorites were couple of tubes of metal that interlocked into one stick, twist it, and it came apart, with a piece of steel cable for a rope. VERY cool, and, not a joke.

Really way too much time on the legislatures hands. Cut them in all states to 3 months, and then they wouldn't have time to pass all this stupid stuff. Same thing for Congress...
Old February 21, 2009, 04:16 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Did y'all miss the point?

Focusing on the case, and what is, or is not a weapon was not the point, as I read it. I understood the point of the question to be whether or not the 2nd Amendment applies to States.

Short answer, it does not. The 2nd Amendment applies to the Federal Government. The milita clause, and the statement about the poeple's right are explanation for why the Feds shall not infringe that right.

Every state has in their state constitution, a section affirming the people right to arms. In some cases, it uses the language used in the Federal Constitution. In other cases, the language is similar, but different. That section of the State constitution is what is relevant to the state case, not the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution.

And FYI, the story as I heard it was that hundreds of years ago, when the Japanese took over Okinawa, they banned the peasants from having weapons. Swords, spears, and bows. The Okinawans delveoped a martial art using the rice thresher (now known as nunchaku), because, since it was a farm tool (and needed to harvest the rice the Japanese ate) it was not banned.
Old February 22, 2009, 10:49 AM   #28
Socrates

The Second Amendment MIGHT apply to the states, if it is incorporated by the 14th. Now we need another Circuit Court to declare it does apply, we have a conflict, and, the Supreme Court will likely rule