The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 10, 2009, 09:32 PM   #1
tyebauserman

Barrel wedge stuck

I have a brand new 1860 colt for cabelas..I have tried every way mention to get the wedge out (for the first time) and nothing has worked...I tried using a penny and it just destorys the penny and the wedge doesnt budge. Can anyone help me?? There is a little tab/spring that seem to help hold the wedge in. I've tried holding it down but it still wont come...... any help would be appreciated....
Old February 10, 2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Blankwaffe

I had a 1860 that the wedge was very tight on as well.You will probably have to use a brass punch to knock the wedge out with.Otherwise you just do not get the amount of impact needed to dislodge the wedge initially.Just keep tapping on the wedge and it will eventually drive on out.The spring on the wedge has nothing to with how tight the wedge is.The spring is only there to retain the wedge when its extracted and hangs the screw on the side of the barrel.So dont mess with the spring.If you want to completely remove the wedge from the barrel once its been knocked out of battery,then back the screw on the barrel out a few turns and the wedge will basically fall in your hand.
Once you get the wedge out you can polish and or fit the wedge so that it installs and extracts better.The wedge and arbor on mine had some rather heavy/rough edges and grinder marks that caused it to hang up.10 minutes of polishing fixed the problem.
Old February 11, 2009, 01:22 AM   #3
rommer25

I had the same experience

I brought a Navy Colt form Cabales and had the same experience. I finally just got a large screw driver with a plastic handle. Placed the handle against the right side of the pin and hit it very hard with a hammer on the point of the screwdriver. It came right out. I had to do that a few times but now, I just tap it with the round part of a short loader (wood) and it comes right out. Nothing seem to break and I don't think I did any harm to the pistol.
Old February 11, 2009, 01:13 PM   #4
tyebauserman

Finally got the wedge out, had to smack it pretty darn hard with a puch, it didnt seem to hurt anything I also filed the wedge down a little bit and it fits better now.

Thanks guys