The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 20, 2008, 12:21 AM   #1
buck shot

What gun is best for spinning?

Suppose I want to buy a gun for spinning. I want a colt (maybe .45), single action, cowboy style gun. What kind do most professional gun slinger and gun spinners use? What caliber, barrel length, and model? I added a picture as an example show what I mean by cowboy style.

Old December 20, 2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Gun 4 Fun

If your referring to spinning the gun around the finger like trick shooters do, then I would say that you need a gun with the trigger located as far back in the trigger guard as possible. Not like the one you posted. I also believe that you would be best served with no more than a 5 1/2" barrel.
Old December 20, 2008, 01:09 AM   #3
laytonj1

Most guns are designed for shooting. If you want a trick gun you would be best served getting one custom made for you, for proper balance, fit and specially designed for the rough handling.

Jim
Old December 20, 2008, 01:16 AM   #4
timothy75

Get yourself an all steel Uberti cattleman with 4 5/8th inch barrel. Practice in front of your bed. Good luck
Old December 20, 2008, 01:42 AM   #5
HiBC

Forgive me for stating the obvious,but please be sure it is unloaded.
A neighbor,not real familiar with firearms,decided to unload,clean,and reload his roomates Single six 22wmr.Then,he played with a bottle of tequila.
He then unholstered the pistol,cocked it,and twirled it.The pistol will typically be upside down and pointed at the twirler when it goes bang.It was fortunately a solid bulletIt entered his lower abdmen and exited his buttock,nicking the femoral artery on the way through.He nearly died.
On another occasion,I was loaning a little 30-06 mauser carbine to a friend who was going river tripping in Alaska.We took a little familiarization shoot.His brother came along,bearing a little Bersa.380 semiauto.He put a full magazine in it,fired 2 or three rounds,and then twirled it.Good thing it had acrappy trigger.I explained it to him in no uncertain terms.
There are prop guns available for less than $100.The are called "non guns"
They may be better than throwing around an expensive real one.

IMO,it is best not to be complacent about the idea a firearm is unloaded.By the nature of twirling,the gun is only somewhat under control and the muzzle is pointed in every direction,including at you and whoever is watching.
I know it can be impressive.Thats why the gunslingers did it.I do think the ultimate cool,was when Val Kilmer/Doc Holliday twirled the tin cup.
Cup twirling.Way cool.
Old December 20, 2008, 02:28 AM   #6
kevinarmstrong

You might find some info in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAvBB2lv8iw

There are some links to some spinning demonstrations there, too.
Old December 20, 2008, 02:43 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

Go to a toy shop and buy a toy gun. Toy Tent will do nicely. Real handguns are not used like that.
Old December 20, 2008, 03:55 AM   #8
Tony C

My $0.02 Cents...

Quote:
Go to a toy shop and buy a toy gun. Toy Tent will do nicely. Real handguns are not used like that.
+1 to this, REALLY :barf: bad idea!
Old December 20, 2008, 05:20 AM   #9
berettaprofessor

Another +1 to the idea to play only with toy guns. Glad somebody said it out loud.
Old December 20, 2008, 06:20 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Non gun replica

Get one of the non gun replicas, of a Colt SAA. The weight is close to a real gun, and because you will drop it a time or three. Also ensures that you cannot have an accident with a loaded gun.

They aren't cheap, but until you reach the semi-pro level they will save your real gun from a lot of potential damage, and the rest of us as well.
Old December 20, 2008, 08:45 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

I know it's early, but this is just a bad idea.

Buy a toy gun to practice with or as 44 Amp pointed out, a replica if you really want to learn and practice spinning.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; December 20, 2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old December 20, 2008, 09:51 AM   #12
kraigwy

I had a friend that grew up on a ranch in Ariz. He was into trick stuff with guns and ropes, spinning, tossing it and catching it behind him, etc. He was quite good. Use to put on deminestrations all over the place.

He got me interested and I started practicing like mad. Instead of using a SSA colt like most did, I was using my Smith Model 28 Service revolver. I got to where every time I picked up the gun I was spinning and doing all kinds of tricks.

Then the Problem came. This other cop and I were doing a building search at a burglary scene. A bandit was seen in the building so we drew our service revolvers and comenced the searh. After clearing the building, the other cop takes me asided and tells me "if I ever go on a building search with him again and start playing cowboy, spinning my pistol he was gonna take it away from me and beat me to death with it".

I didnt even realize I was spinning the revolver. I had done it so much it was a habit. I gave up spinng after that incident and to this day haven't picked it up. There is a time and place for everything, Building Searches isnt the place for spinning revolvers. But it was a fun little hobby while it lasted.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 20, 2008, 10:24 AM   #13
shortwave

LOL! kraigwy. Bet that was a sight.
Old December 20, 2008, 03:00 PM   #14
Smaug

Nice story Kraig, a good read.

GREAT video kevinarmstrong. I really enjoyed it. The guy has just enough modesty too.

As for practicing with replicas or toy guns.... Psh.

If you can't trust yourself to unload your gun before playing with it, go ahead and sell all your guns and get into another hobby. I'm shocked at how many people just cannot trust themselves to confirm that a gun is unloaded.

Just because the nincompoops who have NDs say they "were cleaning the gun" I think we all know that is horse****. They were playing and assumed the gun was unloaded, rather than checking.
Old December 20, 2008, 05:21 PM   #15
Webleymkv

One of these would work

http://www.replicaweaponry.com/westernstyle.html
Old December 20, 2008, 05:23 PM   #16
HiBC

Yeah,I know.I have my act together better than everybody else,also.It couldn't possible happen to me........
But then,there was that one time I saw a mouse and put a rat shot cartridge in my Ruger .22 and set it on the coffee table.A few days later,I picked it up and hung it on a peg on a rack and blew the paper off the drywall.
Another time,many years ago,a buddy accidently put a .45 long Colt slug in his best friends shoulder.
A problem with being human is,we are fallible.Yeah,it is my habit to always check the chamber when I pick one up.
But,I also have another habit.I think of a laser death ray always coming out of the muzzle,loaded or not.I don't let it cross people or dogs.
When the consequenses are Death,it is best to have plan "A" in place,backed up by plan "B".
I like "It is unloaded,AND I don't point it at anybody.I get all tight jawed and squinty eyed if you point a gun at me and say"Its OK,it aint loaded"

44 years ago when I started shooting Junior NRA smallbore we all went through the commandments of firearms safety.Maybe I can't recite them,but I still use them.

I think you will fing US military Drill team rifles to be deactivated.Imagine,if you will,a SAA taking a fall landing on the hammer spur.How does that effect the hammer pin?Might cause a mechanical AD later,huh?
How about,lets not beat up the firearms we want to shoot,if we must play,lets use a non firearm,and lets have a handle the difference between playing Hollywood and matters of life and death.
Lets take good care of the Second Ammendment
Old December 20, 2008, 06:48 PM   #17
Hook686

An unloaded one ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 20, 2008, 06:50 PM   #18
CraigC

Nothing balances as well as a 4 3/4" SAA, preferably a .38-40 or bigger. The .32-20's and .357's run a little muzzle heavy. And yes, grown men do "play" with their guns.
Old December 20, 2008, 09:12 PM   #19
imdarren

USFA Gunslinger in 4 3/4" inch would do nice.

http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/gunslinger.asp

D
Old December 21, 2008, 12:47 AM   #20
odoh

Deleted Dupe Post

Last edited by odoh; December 21, 2008 at 12:53 AM. Reason: DELETED DUPE POST
Old December 21, 2008, 12:50 AM   #21
odoh

Looking back over my somewhat limited military combat experience ~ I'd have to say that most of my close calls involving firearms was w/guys 'cleaning' (read: playing) w/their weapon. Next would be short round artillery. Of course MacNamara '100,000 sub-standard draftees' of the era may have contributed to it. However, as a radio tech outside of a combat zone, have arrived at my duty location one morning just to find that an armed radio operator (classified site) had shot one of my radios ~ you guessed it, cleaning his revolver
Old December 21, 2008, 01:40 AM   #22
Tony C

Dead Cop due to "play"

Years ago when I was a Georgia St. Police officer, we had an City of Augusta Police officer killed just before roll-call due to another officer showing off with his "gun spinning" skills.

The shooter was an experienced police officer and knew that he unloaded his revolver before he finished the night before so there was no danger.

My .02 cents again is NEVER play with a working weapon.
Old December 21, 2008, 06:22 AM   #23
buck shot

I posted the picture as an example, and I now realized that is a double action revolver. I would get a single action. The trigger is further back and I would not spin it load OR cocked. Cowboys only spun them uncocked, because they will not fire if you pull the trigger if it is not cocked. I plan to spin it on the couch, or in front of my bed. I looked all over and I could not find the type of gun that is used for spinning, so I asked. I am not going to get a toy, replica, or a gun that has been modified to not function any more. I was looking for more info about the brand, caliber or barrel length that spinners use. Here is a closer example of what I would probably get. Colt .45, single action, 4 3/4" barrel.

Last edited by buck shot; December 21, 2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old December 21, 2008, 09:07 AM   #24
kevinarmstrong

I think it's an interesting question. The OP just wants to know which SAs have the right balance for spinning (empty ofcourse). I don't have the answer, but I assume the answer would be a gun that puts the center of gravity closest to the trigger. You might want to pose this question to some of the CAS guys over on the Cowboy Action forum.
Old December 21, 2008, 09:17 AM   #25
woad_yurt

I met a guy once who was very good at spinning a .45 repro. He had a 4 3/4" barrel. He said that any shorter or longer is "off center" and that one couldn't "get up any speed." I don't remember what gun it was but it wasn't an actual Colt. He was really good at it.