The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 21, 2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Join Date: February 2, 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 71
Storage question

Are there any storage requirements for firearms purchased with the C&R that are not to be resold, just kept in the home for personal collection?

Also, I live in a large county with several individual municipalities. Do I send notice to the county PD or to the local municipality where I live?

Thanks for any info!
I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor.
sds is offline  
Old October 22, 2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: September 21, 2007
Location: N.W.Vermont
Posts: 291

From my understanding of the C&Ris it is a license to legally obtain C&R guns for your personal collection/use,IT IS NOT a license for the RESALE of C&R's....then you would need an is not an issue (I use a safe) and no, I don't believe you have to notifiy anyone that you have purchased C&R's ,as long as you record said purchases in YOUR personal log book,just incase the feds pay a visit to you 2 cents,BB34

If I'm incorrect,other C&R holders will correct me quickly !
bigbird34 is offline  
Old October 22, 2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: January 31, 2000
Location: Live Free or Die, Baby!
Posts: 1,431
There are no Federal storage regulations, but there may be State or Local ones.

You can sell C&R guns while you have your License but you need to be careful. It is NOT a license to engage in business.

For example, if you mail order 2 K31s, pick out the best one to keep and sell the other, then you are OK. Buying multiples with the INTENT to sell extras at a profit is not kosher.

Do I send notice to the county PD or to the local municipality where I live?
I would say local, but that's a guess.
Chipperman is offline  
Old October 22, 2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: May 29, 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO area
Posts: 4,039
You send notification to the chief officer of the department that would respond to a 911 call. If in a city, then it is usually the city PD. If in an unincorporated area, then the county sheriff. If in a city that contracts with the county sheriff/PD, then it goes there. I do not recommend calling 911 and seeing who shows up just to be sure.

As for storage, there are no particular storage requirements for an 03 FFL (Curio & Relic). Just what you are comfortable with, given your particular balance of budget vs. space vs. desire for security.
Technosavant is offline  
Old October 22, 2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: October 20, 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 7,333
AFAIK the only storage requirement has to do with the location of the firearms, not how they're physically secured. To quote 27 CFR Section 478.50:
Sec. 478.50 Locations covered by license.

The license covers the class of business or the activity specified in the license at the address specified therein. A separate license must be obtained for each location at which a firearms or ammunition business or activity requiring a license under this part is conducted except:
(a) No license is required to cover a separate warehouse used by the licensee solely for storage of firearms or ammunition if the records required by this part are maintained at the licensed premises served by such warehouse;
subsections (b) thru (d) omitted; they relate to where firearms may be sold, not stored
In other words, the firearms are supposed to be located at the address listed on the license unless they're elsewhere for a legally permitted purpose, such as personal use, legal loan to a friend, being transported to a gun show, or whatever.

My understanding is that the term "warehouse" is not clearly defined and is somewhat subject to interpretation. However, since the law does say that the building should be "...used by the licensee solely for storage of firearms or ammunition...", you probably shouldn't store the firearms at, say, your office or your aunt Mabel's house, since it could be argued that you visit those places for reasons besides firearms and ammo storage.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules... MARK IT ZERO!!" - Walter Sobchak

Last edited by carguychris; October 22, 2008 at 02:03 PM.
carguychris is offline  
Old October 22, 2008, 09:24 PM   #6
Join Date: February 2, 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 71
Thanks for the replies, I am likely sending in my paperwork this week so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks again
I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor.
sds is offline  
Old November 28, 2008, 08:25 AM   #7
Junior Member
Join Date: November 21, 2008
Location: Paradise, Texas
Posts: 8
Paperwork & Storage

When you finally receive your liscense...

1. DO NOT sign the original copy of your liscense. Make copies of it. Although BATFE allows copies to be faxed, some dealers will not allow that. They may ask for a signed copy of your C&R mailed to them, not a copy of your signed liscense. So, make copies, then sign those to be mailed in red or blue ink so those who receive it can tell it is not a photocopy.

2. Hand carry, send or mail a signed copy to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) in your area, as stated above. This is not a request for permission from the CLEO, it is simply a notification that a C&R holder lives in his/her jurisdiction.

3. Set up your "Bound Book". That sounds a little more formal than it is. Get a 3-ring notebook and make you some forms. (Forms are available on-line or you can make your own.) Your paperwork will state what information is required. I keep two bound books, one for my C&Rs that have been purchased since I've had a liscense, and one for all other firearms. Also, make copies of both from time to time to place on file with you homeowner's insurance provider. I also store my original liscense in the front pocket of my Bound Book.

4. Your "bound book" should be seen like a sign-in, sign-out sheet. If you buy a firearm, sign it in, if you sell or give one away, sign it out. I have never heard of anyone being visited by the BATFE over a C&R, but if they visit, you want your paperwork to be in order! If they ask to see a certain firearm that is in your bound book and you sold it last week....

5. You can buy and sell C&Rs, but it cannot be a business, it must be a hobby. Get the spirit of the law and it's not hard to understand. So, don't have a business card printed up stating that you buy and sell firearms!

6. Get a copy of SHOTGUN NEWS at Wally-World and/or go to and click on the Links and send copies of your C&R to those dealers that interest you. Ask to be placed on their mailing list. Then set back and wait for you mailbox to fill up with fliers for those dealers...So many guns, so little money!

Sorry this is so long. These were issues I had when I first started. Hope this helps.
PtrJack is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.06715 seconds with 9 queries