The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 10, 2008, 06:47 PM   #26
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
When the armorer stripped his pistol he found that the firing pin was in two pieces rendering the pistol inoperative. The firing pin must have snapped on the last round fired at the range.
Very unsettling, and yet another reason I carry a BUG.
Old November 10, 2008, 11:58 PM   #27
scorpion_tyr

Only time I've ever had a gun not go bang was firing my Tarus PT 92 AFS 9mm. I believe I was shooting Magtechs... but I can't be 100%... might have been Monarchs. I pulled the trigger, gun went click, stayed in position for a few more seconds... pulled the trigger again without ejecting the round or anything and it went BANG second time around. That's the ONLY problem I've ever had with any of my guns. (Note: The multiple problems with my Talon 100 don't count... I was young and dumb.)
Old November 11, 2008, 12:06 PM   #28
RedneckFur

I've had quite a few .22lr's that had dead spots in their primer. I uasually rotate them 180 degrees and try again before throwing them out. I've even had a few that had dead primers.

In centerfire ammo, I've had to FTF's. one was a 20ga dove load when I was a kid. I was hunting with my dad. I brought the gun to my shoulder, pointed, pulled the trigger, and heard a pop-fizzle sound. I asked my dad what happend, and he told me to count to 30, then eject the shell. The shell had a dented primer, but never fired.

My second one was a .223. I was shooting it in my savage bolt gun. It kinda suprised me when it didnt go bang, but when i ejected the round, the primer was well dented. Just for the heck of it, I tried it one more time. Still didnt go bang.
Old November 11, 2008, 01:38 PM   #29
Ridge_Runner_5

Wasnt in any danger or anything, but my GSG-5 had a couple Remington SubSonics fizzle in the chamber a week and a half ago...
Old November 12, 2008, 05:45 AM   #30
bds32

The two loudest sounds you never want to hear

A click when you want to hear a bang and a bang when you want to hear a click.

I'm no stranger to the click sound, luckily though they've been few and far between. It's a good reminder to routinely check to see what you have in the chamber.
Old November 12, 2008, 12:40 PM   #31
test drive

several years ago as i was headed home from work i saw a few poeple and a game warden standing on the side of the road where you turn to go to my house. i get out and walk over to take a look. someone had hit a deer. it could not get up and seemed to be in real pain.after moveing everyone back the warden pulled out his beretta 92 aimed and "click". you could see the "oh s##t" look on his face that said "what if this had been a for real moment"
Old November 12, 2008, 04:46 PM   #32
Tymah123

Just this past weekend my and my girlfriend went to a shooting range and rented a Glock 17 just to see how it feels. After putting 20-25 rounds through it, she raised the gun and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened. I was watching the gun closely and I even saw how she jerked it down when she was pulling the trigger. When we extracted the cartridge it was already fired! I still can't understand how the gun cycled but didn't jam the spent cartridge with a new round and looked liked it was ready to be fired. Weird.... We did learn a good lesson from this incident: she jerks the gun down when she's pulling the trigger.
Old November 12, 2008, 04:53 PM   #33
Tymah123

Just this past weekend my and my girlfriend went to a shooting range and rented a Glock 17 just to see how it feels. After putting 20-25 rounds through it, she raised the gun and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened and I was watching the gun closely, I even saw how she jerked it down when she was pulling the trigger. When we extracted the cartridge it was fired already! I still can't understand how the gun cycled but didn't jam the spent cartridge with a new round and looked liked it was ready to be fired. Weird.... We did learn a good lesson from this incident: she jerks the gun down when she's pulling the trigger.

We were using a mix of American Eagle and some homemade reloads we bought at the gun show. The gun had a full blown jam at the same session, at least we weren't surprised by the "click" that time, it was a textbook FTE. Lesson learned: saving $2 on a box of 50 rounds doesn't justify using unreliable reloads.
Old November 13, 2008, 01:39 PM   #34
Sulaco2

Had a small .22 semi auto to Bang, but the sound was weird, magazine was partly ejected and the concussion stung the hand through the grips... Called a halt and pulled the magazine. .22 LR round had blown out the rim from an over loaded primer or weak spot. Never seen it ever again...

Pulled my duty Glock off my belt to clean it and at first could not figure out why I could not get the trigger to reset when I reloaded it. Found out the trigger return spring had BROKEN sitting in the holster. Gun would have been a single shot had I needed it!!

Ya just never know...

NRA Endowment Member
Old November 19, 2008, 12:57 AM   #35
alienbogey

1. Elk hunting with a traditional muzzleloader, end of day went to fire it to clear the load (I don't like leaving it charged and uncapped overnight) and the cap popped. My buddy was really disgusted because we had agreed I had first shot that day. 5 caps later if fired, still not sure why, hasn't misfired since.

2. No-powder reload in a single action revolver. The primer pushes the bullet just far enough into the barrel to bind the cylinder.

3. Light primer strikes in a SAA which is going to the smith to fix.

A much more interesting one (though not first person).

> I attended a brief by a Russian pilot who defected in his Mig-29. He overpowered the guard (and got shot in the process), climbed into the Fulcrum and took off. Because he was REALLY mad at the Soviet government he cleaned up, got some knots and altitude, then returned for a strafing pass down the entire flight line. About 25 fighters were all parked in a row, he got them lined up in the gun site, squeezed the trigger and.....nothing - he'd forgotten the master arm switch. Because he was bleeding and worried about fuel and being interecepted he then hauled ass for Turkey rather than make another pass.
Old November 19, 2008, 01:39 PM   #36
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I attended a brief by a Russian pilot who defected in his Mig-29. He overpowered the guard (and got shot in the process), climbed into the Fulcrum and took off. Because he was REALLY mad at the Soviet government he cleaned up, got some knots and altitude, then returned for a strafing pass down the entire flight line. About 25 fighters were all parked in a row, he got them lined up in the gun site, squeezed the trigger and.....nothing - he'd forgotten the master arm switch. Because he was bleeding and worried about fuel and being interecepted he then hauled ass for Turkey rather than make another pass.
Interesting. I hadn't heard of this since the time of Viktor Belenko. I'll have to delve into this.
Old November 23, 2008, 05:09 AM   #37
troy_mclure

i was 9, and it was my first hunt with a new side hammer percussion muzzleloader, a nice doe walking by last day of gun season 20m away, i pull the trigger and pop. the cap fires and the deer drops, then about 4 seconds later boom. after the deer had already dropped down the ridge of course.

after waiting 5hrs in a freezing sleet in a goose blind a large flock comes in low and slow, me and my dad both fire, pop, pop. the primer was just enough to push the wad out the barrel.
the whole box of winchester super x steels had no powder. we sent in the remaining shells to winchester and got a coupon for 5$ off a box of super x steels. [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]! needless to say i dont buy winchester.

had 7 rds in one 30 rd mag ftf in a fire fight in iraq, but with the quality/lack of ammo we were getting over there it wasnt a big deal at the time.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."