The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 7, 2008, 02:34 PM   #1
under_dawg

sights for .357 magnum Interarms Rossi Model M971 made in Brazil

I have a friend who purchased one of these guns(Interarms Rossi .357 Model M971) from a pawn shop. It had a broken rear sight, and a missing front blade. He said he has looked all over the internet for sights for this gun and can't find them. I think I read somewhere Taurus is now making Rossi. He called Rossi and they said that it is not their gun. It has ROSSI all over it though. Any ideas on where to get sights for this gun??

I posted this in smity section as well, but thought someone over here may be able to help as well.
Old September 7, 2008, 07:32 PM   #2
thebaldguy

I had a rear sight problem as well. I took mine to a smith for repair, and there wasn't much of a problem other than the long repair time.

Interarms of Alexandria, VA was where it was sent for a broken hammer, but I don't know if the revolver was sent out for the rear sight fix.

Maybe try these folks:

http://www.gun-parts.com/rossi/
Old September 8, 2008, 10:08 PM   #3
Dave Chuppa

My Gun Smith put a S&W Rear Sight on mine. I don't know about the Front. mine has a pinned front Sight. You could take it off and try to match it to something. Maybe a Ruger SP101 front Sight could be made to fit.
Old September 9, 2008, 02:40 AM   #4
Qwiks draw

Two suggestions.

www.e-gunparts.com

www.brownells.com
Try either of these places for the parts.

If not try calling Rossi customer service at 1-305-474-0401. They might be able to help.
Old September 9, 2008, 08:42 AM   #5
gak

Poster REMOVED his response.

Last edited by gak; September 9, 2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: inappropriate response to OP
Old September 9, 2008, 12:04 PM   #6
RevolverRO

I think the OP was referring to the Rossi revolvers and not the Rossi Lever-Action rifles.

(I own a couple of both, BTW)

The Rossi 971 revolver, like its' cousin, the .44 special 970, has a wide, pinned, plastic ramp front blade, which may be why the OP's revolver is missing the front sight. The front sight on my 970 cracked sometime during the first year I owned/shot it, a crack running from the hole the pin ran through, upwards about 1/8th of an inch. The whole top half of the sight moved upwards as the crack widened to about .005 of an inch.

I secured the sight with superglue and pressed it back into its' original position.

The Rossi sights are pretty wide, almost 1/10 to 1/8". I looked at some S & W sights and they are too thin to fit in the slot on the barrel ramp. Too bad, I wanted to fit a gold-bead patridge sight but couldn't find one wide enough to fit the slot.

If the current Rossi can't get you a front sight, and if Numrich doesn't have spares, then a good gunsmith might be able to fabricate a front sight from 1/10 or 1/8" flat stock steel.
Old September 9, 2008, 08:34 PM   #7
gak

Now I'm really embarassed! will see if theyll remove - pays to read the OP! (Later Ed. Removed it myself)
Old September 12, 2008, 05:32 AM   #8
under_dawg

Thanks for the info. I tried several of the suggestions, but no luck. Maybe a gunsmith can make something up....
Old September 12, 2008, 08:44 AM   #9
smee78

Parts

I ran into the same problem when I bought my Rossi 720, It was missing the front sight and I found a gun smith some where in the North/East area that had some old old parts for these guns. I have been looking for his contact info and have been unable to find it, but I will keep looking.
Old September 13, 2008, 09:09 AM   #10
Elvishead

You'll might have to make your own. That's what I would do. Or learn to shoot the gun the way it is.