The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which intrests you more?
Rifles, Black, hunting or target 27 49.09%
Pistol, Carry and target 24 43.64%
Shotguns, Tactical and or hunting 8 14.55%
Jerkey 18 32.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 9, 2007, 07:15 PM   #26
MisterPX

I go for the weird stuff and accesories I want but completly forgot about until I see them on a table.
Old October 9, 2007, 10:54 PM   #27
FM12

For reloading stuff bargains, the occasional bargain in other "stuff", like grips, ammo wallets, and whatever else seems to be something I suddenly "need", like an upside-down shoulder holster for a gun I might one day buy.
Old October 10, 2007, 02:59 AM   #28
Bogie

Boone, just a thought here, but what a LOT of folks go to gun shows for aren't guns. It's stuff like cleaning supplies, tools, scopes, cases, etc... All that stuff that has a better markup than boomsticks too!

BTW, I am dragging a buncha t-shirts, stickers, etc., to Knob Creek this weekend... And it's heavy...

Oh, and if you need any display stuff, drop me an e-mail.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 10, 2007, 04:52 AM   #29
hoytinak

I go mostly for all the eye candy of rifles, pistols and to see if they have any deals on ammo. Plus it's nice to be around my own kind (firearms lovers).
Old October 10, 2007, 08:05 AM   #30
Hkmp5sd

I go so that I can get hands-on with a wide selection of firearms. Far more than most local gun stores keep in stock. Unfortunately the prices aren't that much better than buying from stocking dealers or over the internet, so mostly I just fondle guns and then buy what I want through the local FFL.

NRA Life Member
Old October 10, 2007, 08:25 AM   #31
mikejonestkd

I go just to spend an afternoon looking at stuff. its the experience for me - I seldom buy there but usually come away with several more items on my personal wish list.

Most prices are too high and I would rather spend my money with my favorite local dealer anyways - but I get good ideas at the shows.
Old October 10, 2007, 10:24 AM   #32
Boone Hillbilly

Bogie, I will be contacting you for some printing. I need a banner for the shows but beleive it is to late for this one. I will also need a grand opening sign.. Do you print the road signs? Thanks
Old October 10, 2007, 10:56 AM   #33
werewolf

I don't particularly like gun shows. They charge too much to get in and most of the stuff is junk or if it's not junk it's no bargain anyway.
Old October 10, 2007, 05:41 PM   #34
cnorman18

sesame sticks and rubber band guns

I mostly go to buy guns when I can afford it, but they also have these great sesame sticks...

The Dallas gun show always used to have this guy with the most amazing rubber band guns--you want a full-auto Thompson rubber band gun? He had one. He had this huge Gatling gun that looked like it would take hours to load for 20 seconds of shooting. About $500, but it looked really cool.

That's how rich I'd like to be--to nwe able to buy something that stupid just because I can.
Old October 10, 2007, 06:39 PM   #35
FirstFreedom

I'd say 90% to peruse guns/eye candy, 5% to look for the very rare good deal on a gun, and 5% to buy ammo & accessories. And I will not pay any more, period. If I don't have a free pass, I don't go.
Old October 10, 2007, 06:52 PM   #36
TNFrank

I don't go to shows anymore. By the time you figure in gas, price to get in and the fact that the prices are just as much if not higher then the local dealer or mail order(even with shipping) it's just cheaper for me to buy something locally or order it.
Old October 15, 2007, 06:30 AM   #37
qajaq59

Having gone to our local gun show twice, I think I go because I'm as dumb as a box of rocks. The prices are ridiculous, the used guns are fithy, and the dealers all think they have priceless gems. Don't think I'll go again though so maybe I'm getting smarter?
Old October 15, 2007, 10:17 AM   #38
LYNCH MOB

...I'm disabled, and I'll go anywhere just to get to get out among folks and walk some more for a little while...people take walking for granted...I don't.

...and I'm looking almost exclusively at handguns...but I do stop to look at the occasional AK to compare.

...my younger brother made a really great deal at a gun show about 10yrs ago...he traded a very specific rifle, that was a one-of-a-kind custom rifle, to a seller for three very nice big name semi-auto handguns, and came out WAY ahead on the deal - although I'm sure the seller probably feels like he got the better deal to this day, and he may just be right some day when the value of the rifle goes thru the roof in the future for serious collector's, but the fact remains that my brother walked away with about a 1500% profit on the whole deal at the time....and I got some nice new Hogue grips in the original package, that retail for close to $25, about 8yrs ago at a show for only $6.

...as far as prices being too high goes...I've never paid even close to what they're asking for a brand-new pickup truck, and I sure wouldn't do it for a used firearm either...the key thing is to Bargain with the seller - and walk away the second they aren't willing to anymore. ...and you'll be surprised how many times you get chased down...and being disabled, I'm easy to catch.