The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2007, 12:32 AM   #26
mrawesome22

Quote:
Not me I believe they do vary especially when comparing bullets of different lengths or shapes.
So you believe when you open a new box of bullets, every single bullets ogive is in the EXACT same place? I don't. It's probably more consistent than measuring to the tip, but perfect, I highly doubt.

Quote:
Yes but that is not the true MAX OAL.
How could it not be? My method "jams" the bullet against the rifling. I know YOU don't care where your rifling is. But most people find accurate loads by knowing how far the bullet is from the rifling.
Old April 28, 2007, 01:19 AM   #27
Bullet94

Quote:
So you believe when you open a new box of bullets, every single bullets ogive is in the EXACT same place?
Yes, ahead of the bearing surface. Do you think the ogive is somewhere else?

See this thread - Bullet Parts -

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=244821

Quote:
So you believe when you open a new box of bullets, every single bullets ogive is in the EXACT same place? I don't. It's probably more consistent than measuring to the tip, but perfect, I highly doubt.
I believe this - Bullet comparators are extremely useful, since bullets in the same box will vary in length from base to tip, but usually will not vary much from base to ogive. Bullet comparators are invaluable when setting up seating dies. Depending on the bullets used the measurements can be different, bullets are not 100% the same. Using custom bullets the differences are reduced but not completely eliminated. If the bullets you are using have much of a difference when measuring with a bullet comparator I’d suggest getting better bullets.

Quote:
It's probably more consistent than measuring to the tip, but perfect, I highly doubt.
You are right!

Also the measurements made by a bullet comparator are only used as a reference since the seating die is what really determines where the bullet will be seated. If there is a difference in the measurement made on the ogive between where the seating die contacts the bullet and where the bullet contacts the lands this could make a difference in the loaded cartridges ability to contact the lands or be a certain distance off the lands.

Quote:
I know YOU don't care where your rifling is. But most people find accurate loads by knowing how far the bullet is from the rifling.
Some of the benchrest guys don’t measure at all. They Jam a bullet then take this cartridge and put it in the seating die and adjust the die until it just touches the bullet. The seating die is now set for the bullets their using. They then work up their powder charge. If they want to seat deeper into the case they then either know how much of a turn on the die reduces seating depth or they use a die with a micrometer to adjust seating depth. They continue to adjust until they find the seating depth that shoots best.

Quote:
My method "jams" the bullet against the rifling.
The case neck tension will determine how much a bullet will be seated into the case by the lands. Your method reduces case neck tension so the bullet will be pushed back in the case easier than a bullet using the amount of neck tension on a loaded cartridge. I’ve seated bullets into the lands .020. I don’t believe I could do this using reduced neck tension.

Last edited by Bullet94; April 28, 2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old April 28, 2007, 08:49 AM   #28
Kato_Guy

mr awesome:

The way you explained is how I found out that my bullets are too long! I had read a while ago that people smoke a bullet of use a marker just to see if it is hitting the lands. That is all I was doing. Pretty much wasting my time because I already knew it hit the lands and pushed it back to the 2.225" from 2.255". which would have been the same thing as using your method!

I used your way to find out that my oal is 2.225". I backed off .025" from there. The load I have worked up is all set at 2.200"

thank you mrawesome and bullet for you help. Sorry I made such a big deal out of this little thing.

I am going to tomarrow to try these out I will let you know how everything turned out.

thanks
kyle
Old April 28, 2007, 08:34 PM   #29
Bullet94

Quote:
Kato_Guy
Sorry I made such a big deal out of this little thing.
Better to be safe than sorry.