The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 19, 2007, 11:46 PM   #1
TexiCali Slim

Gas Mask Q?

I was considering getting a Czech Model M-10 Gas mask but read a review on cheaper than dirt and the guy said he heard they were pretty much worthless(I know he said she said ). Does anybody know if these will filter out all the nastys in a SHTF situation?
Old January 20, 2007, 02:18 AM   #2
rkba_net

Less than worthless... NEVER trust a surplus protective mask... I suggest a MSA Advantage 1000 CBA-RCA Gas Mask... here is some info...

http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/msa-advantage.htm

REAL protective masks are not cheap...
Old January 20, 2007, 08:43 AM   #3
ISP2605

rkba is correct. Forget the surplus masks, doesn't matter what the make or country. If you have never had any training in gas masks then any use will most likely be futile. Masks need constant maintenance and inspection. You *might* get by with a older mask for use in CS/CN if it's properly equipped with the right filters, valves are all working properly, and you wear it correctly but not at all likely in an NBC environment.
Old January 22, 2007, 11:41 PM   #4
GMThirteen

I agree with rkba. Never trust a surplus mask. The site he provided for you is a good one. Look for the 3-M masks and filters or a mask that accepts NATO filters since they are plentiful. Hell,I still practice shooting with mine on once a month at the outdoor range.
Old January 23, 2007, 02:09 AM   #5
SteelCore

Everyone's right that surplus masks are worthless. But having a good gas mask can never hurt. Some tips:

(1) Make sure it and the filters you buy are new, sealed air-tight (esp. the filters), and have unexpired shelf lives.

(2) The mask should be NIOSH-certified (e.g., the one at the link above is).

(3) Make sure the mask fits well. When it's on, put your hand over the filter hole and try to breath. The suction from your attempt to inhale, combined with the mask's seal around your face, should compress the mask. If that doesn't happen, or if you can hear or feel air being sucked into the mask, then it isn't airtight.

(4) Be aware that if you have a beard, the mask might not seal as well.

(5) If you wear glasses, they'll have to be removed before you put on the mask. A lot of masks have add-on lens inserts that you might have to buy separately.

(6) Be sure to practice using the mask, even though that will involve using up one or more filters.

BTW, here's the mask I have, and I'm very happy with it:

http://www.botac.com/micsafm95.html
Old January 23, 2007, 02:12 PM   #6
skeeter1

Quote:
(4) Be aware that if you have a beard, the mask might not seal as well.

(5) If you wear glasses, they'll have to be removed before you put on the mask. A lot of masks have add-on lens inserts that you might have to buy separately.
Well, that pretty much puts them off of my list of things to get. I have a full beard (think Santa Claus) and need my astigmatism-corrected bifocal glasses. I guess I'll save my money and hope for the best.
Old January 23, 2007, 07:57 PM   #7
Eghad

Uncle Sam has furnished me with inserts already . If you do buy a mask get one that has the filter in an external canister. Also read the manual on how to store your mask in the pouch so you can prepare it for quick use and keep from ruining it by storing it improperly. Mark one canister in big bold bright letters with the word training or spraypaint bright dots on it to mark it for traing use only.

You might also want to make sure that the external canister can be put on your non firing side of the mask. You may also want to famaliarize yourself with firing the weapon with the mask on. Dont forget to do periodic maintenance on the mask.

NRA Life Member
Old January 28, 2007, 03:07 PM   #8
Slugthrower

These masks are all well and fine. For defence against CS or CN, they may be as close to perfect as possible. When it comes to a some of the biological or chemical weapons out there. They may not be able to be used before you will die from exposure to the chemical in question. Truth is that you will only know that you are under a chemical or biological attack when people around you or you yourself are in fact dying or already dead. 8 seconds is a long time to be exposed to nerve agent. Never mind that we really want to have a MOPP suit already on our body. As a soldier you may have to move about and go deeper into a contaminated area. Civilians will be headed away from a NBC attack, provided that they are not in the immediate area of that attack. Is it worth the bother?

There are some chemical weapons that can clog your protective mask filters. Do we need SC/BA gear too? Air tanks can get real heavy.

Don't forget your over boots. Make sure that the charcoal in your MOPP suit is fresh. Hood clasps, clipped in... good luck ladies.