The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 15, 2007, 11:13 PM   #1
MikeGoob

Does this look like a gun case?

to the AVERAGE PERSON who may not be as into guns as everyone here

its a 'tac force' case for my shotgun that usually never leaves the house but I had to take it to the shop a few times last week in broad daylight.
Old January 16, 2007, 06:47 AM   #2
poortrader

I have a discreet tactical bag for my AR. It's great because it doesn't look like a gun bag to the average person on the street.

NRA Life Member
Old January 16, 2007, 02:16 PM   #3
skeeter1

To ME, it looks like a guncase, but not so much to the average person. Could just as well be a carpenter caring around his tools, like a level, etc. I've got one big aluminum guncase, big enough to hold two shotguns, that might be more obvious. The soft-sided cases I have that pretty much scream "firearm" and I haven't used them for years.
Old January 16, 2007, 02:22 PM   #4
MikeGoob

yea Ive avoided the 'elephant trunk' looking cases, as they scream "GUN" to everyone. Even though this bag is narrow hopefully its at least a little ambiguous.
Old January 16, 2007, 06:56 PM   #5
macmuffy

Looks like a travel case for a keyboard.

keep them notes flowing.
Old January 16, 2007, 07:53 PM   #6
herbie1

I suppose you could slap a few 'rock n roll' and guitar stickers on a rectangular hard case. People would likely think it is an electric guitar or bass.

But I guess you might have to worry about someone trying to steal your guitar.

I can't think of any really good way to transport a long gun without attracting some attention.

Maybe keeping it in a cardboard box with stickers or labels indicating that it contains mini-blinds or something. I don't know if there would be any legal problems transporting a gun this way.

H.
Old January 16, 2007, 08:03 PM   #7
MikeGoob

Wow great! I never thought of it being mistaken for an instrument--good to hear!
Old January 16, 2007, 09:14 PM   #8
protectedbyglock

That's a pretty cool case. I need to find something a little less inconspicuous. My case is shaped,well, like a gun. I wonder who decided THAT would be a good design idea.
Old January 17, 2007, 12:38 AM   #9
skeeter1

Quote:
My case is shaped,well, like a gun. I wonder who decided THAT would be a good design idea.
Yea, the couple of "elephant trunk" type gun cases I have I got 30-some years ago. One of these days I should probably get off my lazy arse and toss them out. The aluminum case isn't quite as obvious, plus it's got two locks on it (if I can find the keys. I think I know where they are).

Maybe I should just take my guitar out of its case and use that. Kind of like the '20s when tommyguns went into violin cases!
Old January 17, 2007, 05:22 AM   #10
UniversalFrost

you could jut wrap it in a small rug or throw a big coat over it if you are worried about being seen with it around the neighborhood when taking to the vehicle etc...

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 17, 2007, 07:16 AM   #11
MikeGoob

legally around here it has to be in a zippered (or hard) case
Old January 17, 2007, 12:26 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Just had an interesting thought--I wonder how many musicians carry their instruments around in gun cases because they think it looks cool?
Old January 17, 2007, 09:02 PM   #13
herbie1

I believe in my state you must transport you guns in a gun case or bag designed for a gun. I think you would have a problem transporting a gun in a guitar or violin case, at least in my state. I wouldn't think there would be a problem with a gun case with 'rock 'n' roll' stickers on it. It is still a case designed for a gun.
Old January 18, 2007, 12:45 PM   #14
dustinlowery

I just bought a cheap guitar case and lined it with foam i got from a sewing shop no one is the wiser unless they know me

If god didn't want us to kill why are our eyes on the front of our head
Old January 24, 2007, 10:57 AM   #15
FirstFreedom

to an average person, probably not - dunno for sure. To me, yes it does.
Old January 24, 2007, 11:14 AM   #16
moredes

Friend of mine flies all the time. He uses a golf club case. He installed some foam and it's big enough for at least 2 rifles as I recall. Looks something like this one:

http://www.exploreproducts.com/dosko...xegolfcase.htm

Has all the appropriate stickers on it which he's 'aged' with a scotchbrite pad. Fooled the hell out of me the first time I saw it. I thought... damn, Mike, I didn't know you played golf..
Old January 24, 2007, 12:40 PM   #17
TomG160

I saw a thread one day (I think at AR15.com) where people where fitting their ARs into tennis racket cases. A few other unconventional methods were also pictured.
Tom
Old January 24, 2007, 03:46 PM   #18
Mikeyboy

if you really want descreet, get a equipment duffel bag. I sold off a shotgun and two rifles and I called up my cousin who coaches hockey and Baseball and he actually had a duffel bag that fit all three (and each gun was in a soft case) with room to spare. It was a MacGregor bag if that helps any.

Another option is the those lockable airport cases for golf clubs, but then you get into the same problem as people thinking that your carrying a $1000 keyboard.