The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1
perkis

burning up .243 barrel?

have a savage model 10 in .243; it has a 1:9.25 rifle twist to the barrel and i was wondering what kind of muzzle velocity will hurt the barrel? i have been shooting 100 grain soft points out of it but am looking to switch to anything between 58 and 70 grain bullets; these smaller bullets have a muzzle velocity of about 3400-3900 fps. does this kind of velocity hurt this particular barrel? i dont plan on shooting multiple shots over an extended period of time but am still wondering if this velocity will harm the barrel as opposed to shotting 95 or 100 grains with a muzzle velocity of around 3000; thanks
Old January 22, 2007, 10:56 PM   #2
robc

I think throat erosion is something that gets too much consideration. Give er heck for a thousand rounds or so, then have a smith look at it. I bet he/she will tell you it's still fine. By the time you burn out a barrel you'll be enough of an expert to know that it has happened. JMO. YMMV.
Old January 22, 2007, 11:41 PM   #3
rwilson452

Throat erosion is not caused by the velocity of the bullet. it is caused by the heat of the burning powder. Heat can generally, but not always, be inferred as a factor of pressure. Unless your pushing the pressure to the max the .243 should be good to go for around 2000 rounds. That is not to say you can't use the barrel anymore but your accuracy might start to fall off some. I'm talking you might see an increase of 1/4 MOA in your groups at that point.