The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2007, 12:37 AM   #1
hags

Newbie Dumb Question

I'm thinking of getting my feet wet with reloading.
I was wondering if you can use dies from one manufacturer in another manufacturer's press.
I was looking at getting a Lee Classic 4 hole turret press and have access to RCBS dies.
Thanks.
Old January 14, 2007, 12:49 AM   #2
Smokey Joe

There are no dumb questions!

And if there were, they'd still be a lot easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Hags--The answer to yr question is "mostly." There are a few exceptions, the Dillon Square Deal B being the commonest AFAIK--it uses its own proprietary dies, which are NOT interchangeable with anything else, including other Dillons. But for most reloading presses, and dies, Thank God someone had a severe attack of common sense back when they were being designed, and most dies and presses are completely interchangeable.

I can't begin to imagine the state in which reloading would be at present, if RCBS dies only fit RCBS presses, Lyman only Lyman, Dillon only Dillon, Posness-Warren only Posness-Warren, and so forth. Yech.

Your Lee Classic press and RCBS dies will work just fine together.

BTW, have you got the "standard text" on reloading? It's The ABC's of Reloading put out by Krause Publishing, www.krause.com Get it @ yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, the I'net, or order direct from the publisher. Tons and tons of good info for beginner and expert alike.

Oh, and welcome to The Magnificent Obsession--Reloading!

--Smokey Joe
Old January 14, 2007, 12:51 AM   #3
Rimrod

Yes, RCBS dies work in LEE presses. Most Dies and presses use a standard 7/8X14 thread. There are exceptions however like one of the Dillons and the old Lyman 310 loader.
Old January 14, 2007, 12:56 AM   #4
arkie2

If you get RCBS dies make sure (if it's pistol dies) that they're carbide dies. Lee pistol dies are carbide but I'm not sure about about RCBS.
Old January 14, 2007, 02:36 AM   #5
mrawesome22

Most presses are universal. I can even use 2 different size dies on my Rock Chucker Supreme. 7/8 by 14 with the insert in and 1/2 by 12 with the insert out. I think those are the dimensions.
Old January 14, 2007, 02:04 PM   #6
CrustyFN

Great choice on presses also I might add. If you haven't bought it yet check out Cabela's, they have the classic turret in a kit now for $149.
Rusty

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...847&hasJS=true

Last edited by CrustyFN; January 14, 2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old January 14, 2007, 02:07 PM   #7
sanson

without reloading & testing shooting would be boring
Old January 15, 2007, 11:13 AM   #8
blancoman

Put my Lee Classic Turret Press together over this last weekend. Some things to think about. First of all, even with the double disk adapter kit, the pro powder measure will only throw about 42 gr of powder. The pro powder measure is designed to throw for pistols or maybe something small like a 223. The safety auto prime works and I am sure I will get better with it. Takes a little getting used to. If you are loading a rifle you will need a thru the expander powder die. All that having been said. I was loading about 150 rds an hour in the first hour. Like I said, It will get faster. Dillon is better but do you really need something that produces 400 rds. an hour? For the money, the little lee cast press is hard to beat.
Old January 15, 2007, 02:21 PM   #9
rangermonroe

I use my grandfathers CH dies in my LEE, and my RCBS dies in my CH presses without a problem. They are all 7/8 x 14.

I love the common sense idea from yesteryear.