The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2006, 03:23 AM   #1
Big Don

Ground squirrels that need killin' in Northern California?

My .22-250 has been whining about not being shot in far too long and wants to go after ground squirrels and/or jack rabbits. Does anyone have recommendations as to where one might go in Northern or Central California or even Northern Nevada? I live east of Sacramento and don't mind driving for a few hours if the drive is worth it. I've heard about the Surprise Valley squirrel (or "squeaker") shoots. Are those still an event?
Old November 26, 2006, 08:31 AM   #2
Socrates

Meadow lions were a serious problem at Camp Hunter Liget.
However, the siting system on the Abrahams tanks, using a 105 mm high explosive rifle, allowed for excellent results, as long as you didn't want a pelt, food, or proof of kill.
My best shot was about 7 miles. What were the specs? 27 pounds of high explosives, at 3000 fps? And, the 105mm rifle was VERY accurate. Wouldn't think to shoulder fire, however...

Sorry to say, that hunting ground is now closed. Think somebody put the gun at maximum elevation, fired, and killed an out house 27 miles away.... Didn't help the cause...

S
Old November 26, 2006, 09:59 PM   #3
roy reali

Bigger Cousin

Here in my part of Nevada we have the squirrel's bigger cousin, the jackrabbit. I go hunting/shooting at least three times a week. There are plently of places to shoot varmints if one looks.
Old November 26, 2006, 11:10 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Alfalfa farmers regard prairie dogs and such as furry fire-ants...

Art