The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2006, 09:30 PM   #1
clayking

Question on bullet types but same weight.

Is there much, or any, difference in a load for example, a 158 gr. LSWC and a LRN bullet..................ck
Old October 14, 2006, 11:24 PM   #2
Lycanthrope

Not much, but how much of the bullet contacts the riflings will affect pressure. Different bullet designs also fly and group differently.
Old October 15, 2006, 02:15 AM   #3
timothy75

Lycanthrope is right, but as a general rule you can substitute lead bullet data with different bullet profiles as long as their the same weight, but always work up slowly. Do not substitute jacketed data with lead and never ever solid copper bullets. Good luck
Old October 15, 2006, 09:22 AM   #4
Thirties

When using a lever rifle with a tube magazine, the LSWC design sometimes hangs up when you try to chamber a round. This does not happen with every rifle.

The other difference is the SWC leaves a cleaner hole in a paper target than does a round nose bullet of the same weight and caliber.
Old October 15, 2006, 12:40 PM   #5
clayking

Thanks. The reason that I asked is that 3 different sources list the LSWC for a load I'm wanting, but never the same weight RN. Yep, I always begin with the starting load, and since these are mainly for plinking, likely stay there if they work ok. Next out to buy bullets, I'm going to get SWC as they do make nicer holes................ck