The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 8, 2006, 03:02 AM   #1
Heist

Hidden compartments or rooms for firearms storage?

I'm not just thinking about rolling aside a wall to enter a room. It would be interesting to have an area the size of a large closet squirreled away with a few pegboard racks of rifles, ammunition storage, reloading equipment for those who use it, and a length of counter for cleaning and maintenance, with cabinets underneath.

You could have an area with the square footage of a large bedroom, if not exactly bedroom shaped. Most people already have gun rooms, this would just add another layer of theft deterrence and be very unobtrusive. Unfortunately, there is next to no practical information on this sort of thing available online.

http://www.garymkatz.com/Charts/pivot-bookcase.htm is one of the only good plans I have seen for a moving bookcase.

http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/ has some interesting mechanisms, I like where a mirror on the wall swings around to be a pistol display board. (video section, animation 1) That's almost more appealing than a hidden room because you could have it anywhere. I also like the staircase.

http://www.spacexdoors.com/index.htm Looks a little gimmicky but nicely self-contained.
Old August 8, 2006, 03:57 AM   #2
maas

why not turn a whole room into a safe with browning's revolutionary vault door.
thats right firearm enthusiast now you can sleep sound at night knowing that your babies are tucked in nice and warm behind a 5 1/2" browning vault door.
but wait theres more!
you get to choose from four tough enamel finishes and six thats right SIX! immaculately duplicated wildlife scenes. don't wait order yours today!

legal notice*
availability limited to stock on hand. shipping, game scenes, and tax not included. not available in all areas. warranty void if installed. browning is not responsible for theft or fire damage due to the fact that this is a $2500 door and all you need is a sawsall to cut a hole in the wall next to it, or just break the outside window.

couldn't resist

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!

Last edited by maas; August 16, 2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old August 8, 2006, 06:01 AM   #3
SOSARMS

Location: The great Buckeye state...where nuts are not just for eating
Smith Security Safes in Tontogony, Ohio, makes custom gun safes and security doors to fit almost any application......had them make for me a horizontal gun safe that holds over 100 guns on trays. Thay do good work.!!
Old August 8, 2006, 12:45 PM   #4
Nwilliams184

i want my stairs to lift up to my room!!!
Old August 8, 2006, 02:07 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

Over the years I've seen a number of hidden compartments or rooms for gun storage.

One was a wall in a room used as a shop.
On the wall was a large pegboard holding tools.
A hidden catch was pressed and the pegboard swung away on hidden hinges.
The guns were on hooks in the between the wall space.

Another was a concealed small room.
In one room was a standard wall with a full-length mirror on it.
Again, pressing a hidden lock allowed the mirror to hinge open, which covered the doorway into the room.
The room was in an area where it wasn't obvious that the room appeared to be noticeably shorter than other rooms in that part of the house.

A variation on this was a bricked wall. Behind a swing out section of brick veneer was a full length safe door giving access into the gun room.

Another was an entire section of wall board that could be opened in a garage. In the in between the wall area was a floor to ceiling space with hooks for guns.
To gain access, the garage doors were closed for privacy, and the hidden wall section was removed.

A variation on the above was a removable section of flooring under a piece of heavy furniture.
With the heavy table off, the carpet was lifted exposing a panel in the floor.
The guns were in the between the floor space.

Another was hidden in the space between the ceiling and an attic.
To access it, the attic steps or ladder were lowered and you climbed up.
In the frame around the attic opening was a removable panel.
Removing the panel exposed a small frame-width space into which long guns could be slide.

Another idea was a second large water heater in the basement.
The false pipes to the water heater were pulled loose, and the heater was rotated.
On the back was a removable "service panel" that gave access to the empty heater shell.
Rifles were stored in a ball bearing carousel.

There was a massive dinning room table with a central pedestal.
Opening the table and removing a hidden panel in the center exposed a "hole" down into the pedestal that held pistols.

There was a light fixture on the ceiling.
Rotating the fixture allowed it to be pulled down, exposing a space that held a policeman's spare pistol.

There was a nasty looking dehumidifier in a basement.
Inside was a clean compartment that held pistols.

In a shop were two large trash cans.
One trash can had a closed compartment in the bottom for pistols.
To get to it, you dumped the trash out.